Register Now
ImmersionGaming22

What was the last game you played, where you where that engrossed in he story that you could not turn it off! :)

Hi all and happy new year! 🙂 As those of you who have read any of my posts before know, im an avid gamer and absolutely love video games! When playing a very well written and developed game, i often find myself struggling to pull myself away from them, which can lead to a 24hr binge lol I must admit though of late not as many games have gripped me to that extent, which maybe because 2022 was a slow year for gaming (due to the pandemic) but i think the last 2 games i found hard to pull myself away from were Red Dead Redemption 2 and Assassins Creed Valhalla!

My question to you guys is, do you find yourself so engrossed in some games that you cant put them down? and if so what were the last games to make you feel this way?? 🙂  

Edited by ImmersionGaming22

Hmmm...This is quite a good one actually, I'd have to agree with RDR2 and I also love Alien Isolation's story. Another one I could say is a GBA game called Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars - extremely well written to where a simple murder turns into an incredible plot with so many twists and turns. I don't think any other GBA game comes remotely close in terms of story.

Something like that, I would say the walking dead game. I have not even complted it anyway as I have one epsiode left of the game, but when I Was doing it to start off with I did three episodes and taken over 5 hours XD I just wanted to do it. 

Honestly Resident Evil 4. I normally never touched the RE series growing up. I tried RE4 many years ago, but never stuck with it. But when I tried it in VR, I actually wanted to play the game. It's fun having to pull out a clip to reload your gun as zombies shamble towards you. Or having to switch to a grenade mid fight while trying to get used to the VR controls. 

I have played a quarter of the way through the game, and I think it's thanks to VR. Otherwise I wouldn't have played it. 

It's been a while since I was gripped on a game to be honest and couldn't pull myself away from it. I would have to say that the last game I played that had me gripped was Destiny 2 with the Witch Queen DLC. After getting that DLC I spent hours up on hours on Destiny 2 going through the new expansion and just having a blast. 

I’m happy you are enjoying Valhalla as it really is something special. My personal experience has been a yo-yo because I lost saved data and had to start over. I’ve been so mad at times because of bug issues. Valhalla just had its last update for the game and by now it runs smooth as it should have been from the get go. But I jumped back into it and got over 200 hours now and it’s primo fantasy, from the world itself to the other maps, to the awesome gear and mounts. After the last update, you now get a free piece of gear each week. And nothing like having a dragon mount and a fiery raven. I’m all in now is what I’m saying.

But lately the past month or maybe two I’ve delved deep into Cyberpunk 2077. Its heavy on story and has blown my mind away. This is another game that has had its issues and so sad for that because it’s one of the best games I’ve played. But I started playing after the last big update so I’ve had a good experience so far despite having to try and start the application several times before it finally comes up to play. Other than that, no problems at all. Did I say my mind is freakin blown away by the game? I have stayed up for hours as the story draws me in so much and everything flows so well that it’s hard to know a stopping point. 

The quests keep me right in it from one thing to the next and even those side quests are no punk. Side quests are heavy duty stuff too. Amazing. They really are setting a reputation for themselves just as I remember playing Witcher 3 and all the great quests there. Currently, I’d have to say Cyberpunk 2077 has its hooks in me big time. It’s deep, really is. Gameplay is fun too. Such talent here. 

On 1/22/2023 at 5:26 PM, killamch89 said:

Hmmm...This is quite a good one actually, I'd have to agree with RDR2 and I also love Alien Isolation's story. Another one I could say is a GBA game called Broken Sword: The Shadow Of The Templars - extremely well written to where a simple murder turns into an incredible plot with so many twists and turns. I don't think any other GBA game comes remotely close in terms of story.

Hey Killamch89 🙂

Yes mate RDR2 is friggin awesome and yes Alien Isolation too, ive got to admit ive got a soft spot for anything to do with Alien, as ive been watching it since i was a kid and love the band as a whole! I can't believe you mentioned Broken Sword though, that is one of my all time favorite adventure games, in fact it was Broken Sword and Monkey Island that got me into Adventure games back in the 90's, ive played every single Broken Sword game that ever came out and i love George Stobart and Nicole's relationship throughout the games, as its so believable and the humor in the games is right up my street! 🙂 If you like that genre of game, have you played the Siberia and the Sam and Max games, as they are pretty much the same sort of game and are great too!

23 hours ago, Empire said:

Something like that, I would say the walking dead game. I have not even complted it anyway as I have one epsiode left of the game, but when I Was doing it to start off with I did three episodes and taken over 5 hours XD I just wanted to do it. 

Hey Empire! 🙂

I take it by The Walking Dead games you are reefing to the Telltale ones, which are split up in to episodes? If so i have to completely agree with you, as ive played every single series, not only of the Walking Dead games, but every game series that Telltale have released, such as Back to the Future, Jurassic Park, The Wolf Among Us, Law and Order, Tales from the Borderlands, Guardians of the Galaxy and Batman! i dont know if ive missed any out but they are all made in the same way as the walking dead games and are also great, so if you like the walking dead i would also advise you to play all the other Telltale games releases above, as they are obsoletely fantastic! 🙂 I've played all the other walking dead series that Telltale released too, like season 2, the Michonne story, A New Frontier and the Final Season, all of which are as good as the first season you are playing, so if you decide to play them, that should keep you busy for a while hahaha! 🙂 I will also be featuring all of the above games on my YouTube channel, as that is the only type of games i feature, Story based games! 🙂

15 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Honestly Resident Evil 4. I normally never touched the RE series growing up. I tried RE4 many years ago, but never stuck with it. But when I tried it in VR, I actually wanted to play the game. It's fun having to pull out a clip to reload your gun as zombies shamble towards you. Or having to switch to a grenade mid fight while trying to get used to the VR controls. 

I have played a quarter of the way through the game, and I think it's thanks to VR. Otherwise I wouldn't have played it. 

Hey Kane99 🙂

Yes mate im the same, RE4 was not one that i got into before the VR version, as i think RE4 was one of the RE's that came out in a period where RE moved away from its roots into just another zombie shootemup, so i lost interest in RE at that point, but im glad to say im back in love with the newer RE games! 🙂 But yeah mate i really enjoyed playing RE4 in VR, its more of a fun game to pay in VR as the graphic's aren't great or anything like that, but its good fun! I didn't realize you were into VR, have you played Half Life Alyx, Fallout 4 VR or Skyrim VR? they are really good VR games I really like the Lone Echo games too! 🙂

11 hours ago, Shortie said:

It's been a while since I was gripped on a game to be honest and couldn't pull myself away from it. I would have to say that the last game I played that had me gripped was Destiny 2 with the Witch Queen DLC. After getting that DLC I spent hours up on hours on Destiny 2 going through the new expansion and just having a blast. 

Hey Shortie! 🙂

Yes ive always wanted to play the Destiny games, but im a PC gamer, so unless i emulate, i cant play them unfortunately and i dont like to emulate games, as it sucks the performance right out of them and spoils the experience, but from what ive seen of the destiny games, i can see why they would be Immersive! 🙂

10 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I’m happy you are enjoying Valhalla as it really is something special. My personal experience has been a yo-yo because I lost saved data and had to start over. I’ve been so mad at times because of bug issues. Valhalla just had its last update for the game and by now it runs smooth as it should have been from the get go. But I jumped back into it and got over 200 hours now and it’s primo fantasy, from the world itself to the other maps, to the awesome gear and mounts. After the last update, you now get a free piece of gear each week. And nothing like having a dragon mount and a fiery raven. I’m all in now is what I’m saying.

But lately the past month or maybe two I’ve delved deep into Cyberpunk 2077. Its heavy on story and has blown my mind away. This is another game that has had its issues and so sad for that because it’s one of the best games I’ve played. But I started playing after the last big update so I’ve had a good experience so far despite having to try and start the application several times before it finally comes up to play. Other than that, no problems at all. Did I say my mind is freakin blown away by the game? I have stayed up for hours as the story draws me in so much and everything flows so well that it’s hard to know a stopping point. 

The quests keep me right in it from one thing to the next and even those side quests are no punk. Side quests are heavy duty stuff too. Amazing. They really are setting a reputation for themselves just as I remember playing Witcher 3 and all the great quests there. Currently, I’d have to say Cyberpunk 2077 has its hooks in me big time. It’s deep, really is. Gameplay is fun too. Such talent here. 

Hey Reality Vs Adventure 🙂

Yes mate Valhalla is great and as im from the North of England, it has historical value to me too, as it was my ancestors that would have faced the Vikings and Romans for real, so in a way gave me a better appreciation for what they went through! Also god yeah Cyberpunk is in a league of its own! Its such a well made game, that Knight City feels real and alive! I had a bit of a yo yo experience (as you put it lol) with Cyberpunk, as i got it straight away when it came out, as i had been waiting for it for ages, as im a massive fan of the Witcher games, so was really excite about Cyberpunk, as millions of others were, but the game was unplayable at that point, which was really depressing due to how long i had waited to play it! 😞 Also i was disappointed in the Devs for releasing the game in such a sorry state, which as im sure you are aware caused uproar and rightly so, its a prime example of what happens when money is more important than the game itself! So i left the game alone and waited until the issues had been fixed, instead of just writing it off as a flop and boy am i glad i did, as once it was playable it was effing epic and i can definitely say its one of the best games ive ever played, its so addictive its unreal and it draws you in, which again has a lot to do with how believable Knight City is, it actually feels alive and the characters within the game are fantastic! There is a documentary on YouTube about the making of it and about how it could have finished the Devs off, due too it being the mess it was upon release, its a really good documentary and gives you an appreciation of the work that went into making this legendary game, it really is a fantastic game and without a doubt had its hooks in me for a very long time, as im the type who has to 100% a game, so all the side quests and everything, so lets just say i had bags under my eyes for quite some time thanks to cyberpunk hahaha maybe in 6 months time ill let it get its hooks in me again, just waiting for enough time to pass that i forget a lot of the story and missions! This is another game i would love to play in VR, as imagine how immersive that would be actually walking round Knight City in VR, only reason ive not tried playing it in VR via VorpX is because of how system intensive the game is, it takes  a lot to run the game when just playing it normally, so to play in VR, which is basically rendering everything twice (once for each eye) so with todays GPU's you would need the very top end cards to even attempt it, like a 3090 or a 4090, so ill wait for a few years,, upgrade my GPU then try it in VR! 🙂

It's RDR2 for me. I get into playing it and before I know it, the entire day has passed, yet I STILL don't want to put down the controller. I've gone on binges that lasted more than a week. From the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed, I'm on the game. @Rain Dew has had to literally pull me away from the game a few times. Lucky for her, I'm in a wheelchair. The game is so easy to get so deep into it, that you forget it's a game. And the fact that there's so much to do in it, makes it all that much harder to put down.

In my personal opinion, RDR2 is just about the greatest game ever made.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 1/24/2023 at 7:49 AM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Hey Killamch89 🙂

Yes mate RDR2 is friggin awesome and yes Alien Isolation too, ive got to admit ive got a soft spot for anything to do with Alien, as ive been watching it since i was a kid and love the band as a whole! I can't believe you mentioned Broken Sword though, that is one of my all time favorite adventure games, in fact it was Broken Sword and Monkey Island that got me into Adventure games back in the 90's, ive played every single Broken Sword game that ever came out and i love George Stobart and Nicole's relationship throughout the games, as its so believable and the humor in the games is right up my street! 🙂 If you like that genre of game, have you played the Siberia and the Sam and Max games, as they are pretty much the same sort of game and are great too!

I think I've played all but one of the Broken Sword series of games and it's always interesting how mundane the story starts with some outlandish tale but by the end of the game, you literally have to face off against some ancient beast or someone wielding some legendary ancient artifact that the tale was about. I remember playing the first Broken Sword game as a teen and I kept saying, this is such a well-written story - how is this a GBA game? I don't think I've ever played the Sam games or any of the others you mentioned but I'll check them out.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, The Blackangel said:

It's RDR2 for me. I get into playing it and before I know it, the entire day has passed, yet I STILL don't want to put down the controller. I've gone on binges that lasted more than a week. From the moment I get up to the moment I go to bed, I'm on the game. @Rain Dew has had to literally pull me away from the game a few times. Lucky for her, I'm in a wheelchair. The game is so easy to get so deep into it, that you forget it's a game. And the fact that there's so much to do in it, makes it all that much harder to put down.

In my personal opinion, RDR2 is just about the greatest game ever made.

Hi Blackangel, i hope your good! 🙂

Yes mate i have to agree, it is one of the best for defo, but so was the first one back when it came out, obviously its dated now and the bar has been lifted, as far as gamer's expectations now, but back then the first game and Gun were the best western era games out! And yes i can totally feel ya regarding the binge comment, as probably 80% of my life has been a gaming binge hahaha but yeah i can understand why you would need to be wheeled away to bring you back into the real world for a while, if just to eat (something other than junk food or noodles lol), get a wash and some fresh air lol, as again been there done that hahaha but yeah mate i agree, defo one of the best games out there! 🙂

On 1/27/2023 at 5:53 PM, killamch89 said:

I think I've played all but one of the Broken Sword series of games and it's always interesting how mundane the story starts with some outlandish tale but by the end of the game, you literally have to face off against some ancient beast or someone wielding some legendary ancient artifact that the tale was about. I remember playing the first Broken Sword game as a teen and I kept saying, this is such a well-written story - how is this a GBA game? I don't think I've ever played the Sam games or any of the others you mentioned but I'll check them out.

Yes mate they are really well written games and i think they aren't as well known as they should be because when they were released, gamming was still quite new and growing, plus the Devs weren't the biggest of companies, so it seemed to fall through the cracks unfortunately, which is a real shame, as i would defo have liked the games to have kept coming! Yeah it was funny how to plot went from zero to a hundred miles an hour, with some outlandish cult or artifact behind some dark plot lol a bit like the tomb raider games in a way i suppose, but they were all packed with facts and accurate historical info, which is how i first heard about the templars and their holy quest, so yeah just an all round great title and series of games! Yes mate i would look at the sam and max games, as they are really funny and Syberia is a great adventure game and the latest and concluding game isn't that old, so yeah i reckon you will really enjoy Syberia if you like Broken Sword, ill attach the link to the trailer below for you! I will be featuring all the broken sword and Syberia games on my YouTube channel, so if you cba laying them you dont want t buy them you can always watch them on my channel! Here is the first Syberia game trailer!    

On 1/28/2023 at 7:06 PM, ImmersionGaming22 said:

Hi Blackangel, i hope your good! 🙂

Yes mate i have to agree, it is one of the best for defo, but so was the first one back when it came out, obviously its dated now and the bar has been lifted, as far as gamer's expectations now, but back then the first game and Gun were the best western era games out! And yes i can totally feel ya regarding the binge comment, as probably 80% of my life has been a gaming binge hahaha but yeah i can understand why you would need to be wheeled away to bring you back into the real world for a while, if just to eat (something other than junk food or noodles lol), get a wash and some fresh air lol, as again been there done that hahaha but yeah mate i agree, defo one of the best games out there! 🙂

Yes mate they are really well written games and i think they aren't as well known as they should be because when they were released, gamming was still quite new and growing, plus the Devs weren't the biggest of companies, so it seemed to fall through the cracks unfortunately, which is a real shame, as i would defo have liked the games to have kept coming! Yeah it was funny how to plot went from zero to a hundred miles an hour, with some outlandish cult or artifact behind some dark plot lol a bit like the tomb raider games in a way i suppose, but they were all packed with facts and accurate historical info, which is how i first heard about the templars and their holy quest, so yeah just an all round great title and series of games! Yes mate i would look at the sam and max games, as they are really funny and Syberia is a great adventure game and the latest and concluding game isn't that old, so yeah i reckon you will really enjoy Syberia if you like Broken Sword, ill attach the link to the trailer below for you! I will be featuring all the broken sword and Syberia games on my YouTube channel, so if you cba laying them you dont want t buy them you can always watch them on my channel! Here is the first Syberia game trailer!    

I know that the Broken Sword games were filled with accurate historical facts but it's the way how they built manage to make it come to life throughout the entire game that amazes me. I think Broken Sword is one of the few point and click games I don't mind playing at all. On another note, Syberia looks pretty good - I'll definitely have to give it a go.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:01 PM, killamch89 said:

I know that the Broken Sword games were filled with accurate historical facts but it's the way how they built manage to make it come to life throughout the entire game that amazes me. I think Broken Sword is one of the few point and click games I don't mind playing at all. On another note, Syberia looks pretty good - I'll definitely have to give it a go.

Hey Killamch89, yes i totally agree that broken sword was one of a kind, one of those one in a million games/stories, that will remain one of my favorite all time games and that i have re-played over and over throughout my life. Im sorry for the late response, ive just separated from my partner of 20+ years, so haven't been on for a few weeks, just trying to get my head straight at min, but ill be back and chatting with you all soon enough, just need some me time is all! 😞