Register Now
Kane99

Game Informer Magazine the only gaming magazine in print today?

I still see Game Informer magazine whenever I go to a gamestop. Hell I used to be subscribed to GI for a while. I saw my nephew was subscribed to them a while back and they're still releasing physical magazines, but I think they changed it to every three months they send out a magazine. I haven't subbed to them since the mid 2010's or so. Anyway, is game informer the only gaming magazine in print today? As in gets released physically rather than digitally like many magazines release today. 

If there are other gaming mags still in print today, what are they? I don't even know what gaming mags still exist these days. I imagine Gamepro and Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) are dead or doing only digital releases now. 

I miss physical gaming mags. Wish I took care of the ones I had growing up. 

I mean, we shouldn't even be surprised. I mean, most people don't really fancy physical magazines nowadays - Nowadays, if you visit the magazine section in Walgreens or anywhere else, the same magazines will be there from a couple of years ago. The cost savings that companies get from selling digital-only magazines means that most have stopped selling physical magazines.

I don't tend to look at magazines now as much as I used to as I don't tend to buy them like I used to so I am unsure whether we still have any kinds of gaming magazines like we used to. My kids will usually mention to me if they see them though as they tend to look at the magazines a lot but they haven't mentioned anything. 

It's a shame as they used to have some really good gaming magazines back in the day but with everything being online now, many companies just do not see the point in printing them if they may not sell. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:30 PM, killamch89 said:

I mean, we shouldn't even be surprised. I mean, most people don't really fancy physical magazines nowadays - Nowadays, if you visit the magazine section in Walgreens or anywhere else, the same magazines will be there from a couple of years ago. The cost savings that companies get from selling digital-only magazines means that most have stopped selling physical magazines.

I don't even see gaming mags in my local store. Sad because I miss those days of seeing mags available for purchase. I'm sure wal-mart and bigger stores have a selection, but the stores near me have next to nothing available. 

I think I mainly want to collect retro mags, but it still would be nice to see some gaming mags in physical form again. 

4 hours ago, Shortie said:

I don't tend to look at magazines now as much as I used to as I don't tend to buy them like I used to so I am unsure whether we still have any kinds of gaming magazines like we used to. My kids will usually mention to me if they see them though as they tend to look at the magazines a lot but they haven't mentioned anything. 

It's a shame as they used to have some really good gaming magazines back in the day but with everything being online now, many companies just do not see the point in printing them if they may not sell. 

Honestly same here. But I blame it on the fact that they don't produce them as much anymore. Of course we can blame that partly on people losing interest in magazines. But idk, maybe I should just collect the old magazines instead and skip out on any new ones. 

The magazines I see these days are 50% filled with advertisments. It was cool, but when you realize it, it's pretty much a couple guys that talk about their opinions. You don't need a magazine for that, in fact, you could just grab some gamer friends and there you go. Then that's how they make money as who really buys them..

Most just post things online for people to read about and that what I do

5 hours ago, Empire said:

The magazines I see these days are 50% filled with advertisments. It was cool, but when you realize it, it's pretty much a couple guys that talk about their opinions. You don't need a magazine for that, in fact, you could just grab some gamer friends and there you go. Then that's how they make money as who really buys them..

Most just post things online for people to read about and that what I do

Yeah that's another issue with modern magazines. The ads are essentially behind every damn page, and articles tend to be shorter, and the magazine as a whole tends to be much shorter. It's annoying. 

I do know there are some independent magazines still out there. I think there's a retro gaming magazine that still releases, but I don't think they do a monthly thing. Maybe bi-monthly or even less. 

I can't confirm or deny it but I think so. I don't see many gaming magazines out on store shelves anymore, only place I know where to get a GI mag is from Gamestop nowadays too.......it's a shame. I used to love getting the likes of playstation, Dreamcast & Next Generation magazine growing up. I got 3 mags a month, two of which came with demo discs.....

I loved the discovery and when magazines weren't afraid to let their writers' personality show through. My favorite magazine was Super Play, which focused on SNES, but they always showcased anime and cool tidbits of Japanese culture with regular sections from correspondents in Japan. I just discovered that scans of all the issues are on Archive.org, and it's great going back through them.

What sucks is that I don't particularly care for Game Informer magazine. It doesn't help that it's a Gamestop owned magazine, so they're only printing it to keep their user program going, or whatever the hell they're calling it now. 

Anyway, I'm going to have to be on the lookout for retro magazines now. If I can't find any new mags, may as well just look into finding old collections and collect those. :D 

On 2/23/2023 at 5:28 PM, Kane99 said:

I don't even see gaming mags in my local store. Sad because I miss those days of seeing mags available for purchase. I'm sure wal-mart and bigger stores have a selection, but the stores near me have next to nothing available. 

Exactly my point - printed media on a hold is on the decrease across many industries as there's no benefit to most companies printing magazines.

I feel like many have just gone online only, since you can read the content faster and it's easier to search. Back in the day though I remember being excited to get the newest release of Game Informer in the mail to see all of the games coming up, or their reviews of them, since not much was posted online in a centralized format (outside of watching videos on Google Videos back than).

Retro Gamer is still in publication, though it's a UK based magazine. Also as it's name states, it mainly focuses on talking about retro games rather than modern ones. I wish I kept all my Nintendo Power magazines in good condition when I was a kid, most of them were falling apart prior to me throwing them away right before I moved out of my parent's house. Those would have probably been worth something if I took care of them...

On 4/6/2023 at 9:23 PM, Ravenfreak said:

Retro Gamer is still in publication, though it's a UK based magazine. Also as it's name states, it mainly focuses on talking about retro games rather than modern ones. I wish I kept all my Nintendo Power magazines in good condition when I was a kid, most of them were falling apart prior to me throwing them away right before I moved out of my parent's house. Those would have probably been worth something if I took care of them...

Same - I had a lot Playstation and other gaming magazines back in the day and I just got rid of all of them for whatever reason. I used to love the cheat codes they had in most of them.