Register Now
The Blackangel

Has your favorite changed?

Who here can say that their all-time favorite game has changed? I can definitely say that. For the last several decades, my all-time favorite game was Zelda OoT. I thought it was the perfect game. Now, to no ones surprise, my all-time favorite game is RDR2. The game simply blows me away. There is so much to do in the game that it's mind blowing. There are secrets that very few have probably found. Items like the fluorite and ammolite, shrunken head, and gold shield just to name a few. There are also encounters like the giant and the devil. Then there are the challenges. Riding from Strawberry to St Denis in 9 minutes without touching water. Killing 5 flying birds from a moving train. And a hell of a lot more. There is so much to do and discover that I haven't found a game that can match. I've tried Skyrim and Witcher 3, but they just couldn't get their hooks in me.

5 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Who here can say that their all-time favorite game has changed? I can definitely say that. For the last several decades, my all-time favorite game was Zelda OoT. I thought it was the perfect game. Now, to no ones surprise, my all-time favorite game is RDR2. The game simply blows me away. There is so much to do in the game that it's mind blowing. There are secrets that very few have probably found. Items like the fluorite and ammolite, shrunken head, and gold shield just to name a few. There are also encounters like the giant and the devil. Then there are the challenges. Riding from Strawberry to St Denis in 9 minutes without touching water. Killing 5 flying birds from a moving train. And a hell of a lot more. There is so much to do and discover that I haven't found a game that can match. I've tried Skyrim and Witcher 3, but they just couldn't get their hooks in me.

Zelda OOT was special. I love that game almost as much as my own son. Even so, it may have been the first open world action adventure/RPG ever made, and that is it's legacy as well as it greatest weakness. As with most things, especially in video games, the first is almost never the best. Consider Zelda OOT a product of it's time if you want and rate it on that, but don't feel bad for saying RDR2 is a better game. Zelda OOT is an all time great and will forever have a place in my heart, but is it my favourite game? Hell no! Games like Horizon Zero Dawn took the formula, took advantage of better technology, then did it better. Nostalgia finds quality, no denying that, but more modern games are better because lessons get learned and improvements are made.

That's why I'm saying Horizon Zero Dawn/Forbidden West as my favourite games. They are recent, but that's also why they're better.

I can't really say that my favorite game of all time has changed. I love Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and no other 2D platformer has really done anything better than Sonic 3 and Knuckles has in my opinion. Sure Sonic Mania exists, but most of the levels are from previous games and even though these levels are better than their original counterparts it really needed new levels all together to make it better. Would it have taken the spot as my favorite game of all time? Maybe, though some of the audio design choices sucked. (I'm tired of hearing that goofy Sonic 3 alone 1 up jingle that has been used in most of the newer 2D Sonic titles.)

My favourite game of all time was always Halo and I will be honest, as much as I do still enjoy Halo, it's not my most favourite game now. I would go as far as to say that Fortnite is my favourite game now with Halo being a close second to that. 

I feel if things didn't change the way they did with Halo, it may very well have been my favourite still now. 

My favorite games are actually a trilogy, well, not really a trilogy but more like the last 3 games from Assassin's Creed (Origins, Odyssey, Valhalla). Then there is TLOU series which I categorize as an all time bad ass series, a masterpiece. But I'm liking cyberpunk games more and more like Cyberpunk 2077 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. They both have that Assassins Creed feel to it as well because of different styles of planning your infiltration techniques. I love that. It's like a puzzle in itself how to infiltrate and not alert enemies. I have to include Watch Dogs Legion in that cyberpunk category too and using cool gadgets like drones and spider bots to infiltrate. Cyberpunk 2077 and Deus Ex uses more augmented abilities instead of actual gadgets. So I can't pin point what game is my favorite now. But these cyberpunk games are hands down brilliant and I see myself playing Cyberpunk 2077, Deus Ex MD, and WD Legion multiple times. So I believe I'm merging from Assassin's Creed to Cyberpunk. Sadly, there aren't many cyberpunk games. 

Good question. Honestly, it’s tricky to say because as an adult I have less time to dedicate to gaming with more of my time that is needed on work related tasks etc. However I’d probably say my favourite will change when Rockstar finally release GTA 6

In all honesty, my gaming preference have evolved over the past 30 years. It's no longer the games I used to love playing when I was younger that I enjoy playing now but one game have stand the test of time for me. It's Red Dead Redemption 2. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, Shortie said:

My favourite game of all time was always Halo and I will be honest, as much as I do still enjoy Halo, it's not my most favourite game now. I would go as far as to say that Fortnite is my favourite game now with Halo being a close second to that. 

I feel if things didn't change the way they did with Halo, it may very well have been my favourite still now. 

I would have said it's going to be Fortnite that's your favorite video because if I should go by the game which I know you play most recent, from your posts, it's definitely Fortnite. Maybe I'm wrong and Halo happens to be it in secret 😉

On 2/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, Heatman said:

I would have said it's going to be Fortnite that's your favorite video because if I should go by the game which I know you play most recent, from your posts, it's definitely Fortnite. Maybe I'm wrong and Halo happens to be it in secret 😉

I mean, people are allowed to have more than one favorite to be fair and there are so many games in existence that having one favorite feels like you're limiting yourself lol.

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I mean, people are allowed to have more than one favorite to be fair and there are so many games in existence that having one favorite feels like you're limiting yourself lol.

Yeah, that's true. Someone can have so many video games as their favourite. As long as it's a game they enjoy playing, it's right to be among their favorite games to play. I was just pointing out her love for Fortnite because I know she don't joke with the game. 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's true. Someone can have so many video games as their favourite. As long as it's a game they enjoy playing, it's right to be among their favorite games to play. I was just pointing out her love for Fortnite because I know she don't joke with the game. 

If you wanted her to respond, just say Fortnite sucks 🤣. Trust me, I don't know why it gets under the skin of most Fortnite players so much but it triggers them a lot.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

If you wanted her to respond, just say Fortnite sucks 🤣. Trust me, I don't know why it gets under the skin of most Fortnite players so much but it triggers them a lot.

I don't want to irk my good friend @Shortie, she have been so good to me since we knew each other.. Even as a joke, I wouldn't want to make her feel bad 😂.

She loves playing that game with so much excitement! 

On 2/20/2024 at 5:24 AM, Heatman said:

I don't want to irk my good friend @Shortie, she have been so good to me since we knew each other.. Even as a joke, I wouldn't want to make her feel bad 😂.

She loves playing that game with so much excitement! 

I was just throwing a bit of banter. I'm not sure why Fortnite players get so offended by that statement though - I've heard that from someone about almost every game I've ever played and I'm unfazed.