Register Now
Kane99

Do we as gamers ask too much of developers sometimes?

I think we as gamers can be a bit too much at times. We gamers are very vocal, when there's a delay for a game, it's usually split. Sometimes gamers are fed up that there's another delay and want the game right now. While there are other gamers who are okay with said delays and accept them. I get when a game is delayed multiple times over years and years, and in turn causing frustration with gamers. But it's not like we can push them to finish the game sooner, that in turn hurts the games quality, and why some delays happen. 

I get delays can suck, but when gamers throw fits about them, it makes me wonder if they even care about the devs making them. Devs aren't miracle workers, if they need a delay I say they should take it. Better to release a game that has a small amount of bugs than a game half baked. 

I also want to talk about how some gamers think their ideas are better than what the devs implement, and will make it known to them. There is a place for suggestions and criticism, but I feel some gamers go overboard and expect developers to make games their way. I feel devs should make the games they would want to play first and foremost. Gamers aren't all devs either, so I can see devs getting annoyed by the constant barrage of suggestions an ideas "no, you guys have to do it this way", or "I liked how the systems worked in the last game, why change it", etc. I know some happily accept suggestions and that's all fine, it's good to give out ideas and suggestions to help a dev team out, but don't be overbearing and rude about it. 

What do you think about gamers and how they treat developers? 

Why isn't Cyberpunk 2077 not 3rd person view? I was pissed, I thought every game should have 3rd person perspective. But not anymore. Sometimes developers know what is best for you, regardless of how you are used to playing. That's just an example. The developers hold their ground, knowing what their intention is. Game players sometimes fail to see it. I know I have several times playing games. I failed to see their intention until I progressed. 

Other than that, gamers have all the right to criticize. We are consumers. We demand quality. If you don't bring quality, we will ask, how come you didn't? 

There is a reason even developers seek gamers suggestions on released games. Their aim is to satisfy us. In a situation where the majority have the same complaints then they will know where they went wrong. 
Most times it is not about the producers or manufacturers, it is all about the end users. So developers need to work with these ones in mind and not just on what they feel is right. 

Edited by Kennysplash

I don't feel that gamers are in the wrong for requesting something or even demanding something they wish to see in a game, that is bound to happen but it should be done respectfully so that they have time to address the requests that they get and ensure they are ready and work well in the game. 

Those who harass and even send death threats to game developers though are a whole different breed and that is something I feel should not be tolerated at all, it's a shame it even happens in the first place. 

Constructive criticism is always welcome regardless of what the medium is. Novels, paintings, TV shows, video games, the list is endless. I always welcome constructive criticism on my work. As for delays, I welcome those too. I would rather the developer take 100 delays and release a game with as minimal bugs as humanly possible than one on the original schedule that always fucks up at 5 minutes and 32 seconds into the game play.

Abuse towards developers is never acceptable or warranted. They are human beings, not gods. They are going to screw up. They are going to miss things. That's why they work in teams. Dev1 may miss something that Dev2 sees and fixes. Then there are things the entire team misses. That's why there are bugs in said game. Because no one, and nothing is perfect. We as gamers should be patient, respectful, and supportive. If we treat them well, they will do good by us in return. Thus, they will release better games. Email them and give them ideas of things you would like to see in a future release in your favorite series. Don't demand it. Offer it as a possible idea in a friendly way.

You catch a lot more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Edited by The Blackangel

Gamers can be divided when it comes to game delays, with some being frustrated and others understanding. It's important to remember that developers need time to create a quality game. While suggestions and criticism are welcomed, it's not fair for gamers to expect developers to make games exactly as they want. Devs should prioritize making games they would enjoy playing themselves.

If I'm paying $60-$70 for games I play, I certainly have the right to demand the best from them. I don't steal the money, so they ought to give what's the value of the money I'm being asked to pay for their games.