Register Now
StaceyPowers

Gaming as legitimate escapism

In this thread, @The Blackangel and I were talking about how gaming offered us a necessary psychological escape from abusive households growing up. 

I'm someone who is usually wary of "escapism," because if it goes too far, it is a mindset which tempts us to avoid solving important life problems. But in the case of childhood abuse where there is no way to solve the problem, escapism via gaming makes sense. 

I would also say that I use video games for nightly "escapism" now to stop thinking about myself and my problems for an hour before bed.  I sleep better as a result, which boosts my functioning each day. This too seems a legit application.

Do you use video games for escapism? Have they helped you cope in situations where you were faced with unsolvable problems IRL?

Edited by StaceyPowers

On 6/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, skyfire said:

I think gaming often gives temporary feeling of good, due to chemicals but that is short term. And it becomes kind of like addiction. And it is pretty hard to get out of that feeling. 

For me, gaming is almost more a de-escalation of emotions than anything. I'm emotionally flat though, so it's pretty much "calm" or "upset." Just getting back to calm can be pretty great.

12 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

For me, gaming is almost more a de-escalation of emotions than anything. I'm emotionally flat though, so it's pretty much "calm" or "upset." Just getting back to calm can be pretty great.

Same with me. But I am kind of not keeping all of this in control. Like my reaction and response are too much for events than patience for me. It seems to be what caused more issues I am guessing. 

22 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I'm another one on this list. After 37 years, I'm numb. I'm either detached and feel nothing, or explosive, and genuinely dangerously angry. And with being bipolar and schizophrenic (among other things), that just makes the situation even worse.

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

I'm another one on this list. After 37 years, I'm numb. I'm either detached and feel nothing, or explosive, and genuinely dangerously angry. And with being bipolar and schizophrenic (among other things), that just makes the situation even worse.

Surprising how common this emotional flatness thing is. What's funny is I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I wish I had less to be anxious or angry about, but I'm fine with "calm" being my equivalent of "happy." 

I think most of the people who are suffering with game addiction. And it can get pretty difficult to get rid of habit of playing games on phone and avoiding those sort of addictions. So I think battling this habit is the concern. 

I think each one of us have different response to the life. And we have to treat what to escape from and what to consider for the escapism. Not all can think of the life in same way their response would be different to the situations. So yeah let people have their own ways towards the escapism.