Register Now
Martin Berisford

Gaming Reviews - Do you care what they say?

For me, when it comes to looking over what game I want to add to my collection next, the last thing on my list of things to do is check what the gaming reviewer from whatever website thought about it. I much prefer gameplay videos (I suppose that can be a form of review but still). I consider reviews to be a personal thing, and as such, are opinionated and personal. Who's to say Mr Reviewer will love the game whilst I may hate it? 

Naturally, I don't tend to read them or take notice. What about you? Do you take notice or do you do your own thing? 

With the increasing act of sponsoring game reviewers by gaming companies, it is becoming more difficult to find honest reviewers because they are basically "bribed" to give only positive reviews. This is not very helpful for consumers at all.

Professional reviews are always being paid for. Whether it's  video games, movies, music, or Broadway plays. Someone is always paying for positive reviews. But amateur reviews aren't any more reliable. There you everyone's back in high school, and wanting to sit at the cool kids' table. So they all go along with the same "opinions" just to be part of the clique. The only review you can fully trust is your own.

I enjoy reading reviews (I think there’s an art to writing them, personally). But, yes, the only person’s opinion who you can 100% trust is your own (like Blackangel said above). I tend to watch a mixture of gameplay videos and read/watch some professional reviews before pulling the trigger on a game.

Edited by DylanC

55 minutes ago, Alyxx said:

Well I certainly hope people care what I have to say.

Your reviews are unbiased and full of thorough analysis so I would definitely listen to them unlike Gamespot and others that have a clear bias towards the bigger gaming companies because of the benefits Gamespot receives from them.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Your reviews are unbiased and full of thorough analysis so I would definitely listen to them unlike Gamespot and others that have a clear bias towards the bigger gaming companies because of the benefits Gamespot receives from them.

Yeah, they're 100% subjective though.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:29 PM, skyfire said:

I am sure that many game reviewers often used their political opinions and push them through game reviews too. And that's how the reviewers forced game developers to change. 

It's not just political opinions though. It is who lines their pockets and give them a lot benefits that get promoted even though the company in question may not warrant such praise.