Register Now
StaceyPowers

What motivates you when making in-game decisions?

In this discussion, @The Blackangel , @LadyDay, @killamch89 and @kingpotato and I were talking about what I consider to be the curious case of gamers killing the little girls in BioShock and often claiming the rationale is pragmatism, when sparing them really is no less practical in terms of rewards.

This made me think more about what motivations go into making choices in video games all around.

How do you make choices in video games, especially single player games where you are essentially in a vacuum in terms of other human beings?

Do you do what you would do? What your character would do? If so, how similar to you is your character? Or how similar are they to what you wish you could be? Or do you pick based on curiosity? Pragmatism? Ethics? Randomness? Some mixture?

In my case, I usually try to make the decision I myself would ideally make in that situation based on my own ethics.

I do this mainly because I am practicing decision making for RL, especially balancing others’ opinions with my own considerations and ignoring peer pressure. It also helps me practice separating the result of an action (which I can’t control) from the action (which I can).

But if I’m playing a game with only a few decisions and a character who is well-constructed, I usually try to do what that person would want to do. I figure it is his/her story, and I want to live the most authentic/likely version.

I hunt for blood. It doesn't matter who it is. Someone that tried to help me, someone that tried to hinder me, someone that was indifferent. I kill all of them if the option is programmed into the game. That's part of the reason I like Hatred so much. Everything dies, and it's gory. It's also a reason I love death metal. I get to live out my fantasies. I put the faces of people from my life on the bodies of those that I'm killing. I imagine them begging and when I slice off something hearing them scream.

I'm a sick bitch. Misanthropy, sociopathy, rage, paranoia, and an explosive temper and not a good combination. It's probably why most people tend to walk on egg shells around me. The fact that I always have a loaded pistol on me just makes them more nervous.

My characters tend to reflect and what I would do or wish I could do. So decisions also usually reflects my own moral judgement. But i do get the idea of playing as a character who is different than yourself. Heck, they always are in some way. In reality I don't have to deal with monsters that need killing, and in game I don't worry about the ethics of exterminating dragons. But yeah, my characters do tend to make the decisions that I would make if I were them.

8 minutes ago, mont86 said:

I like FPS games, but don't go out of my way to shoot anything besides the villains …

Stacy good question by the way..

I think most of the FPS games are more of survival. I think puzzle and the story based games have the decision making line. 

I just go with whatever sounds the most fun and that it goes with my point of view. In Skyrim I sided with the empire during my first play through because politically speaking it was the correct decision, and with the Witcher 3 , I dont want to spoil with specifics but I got the good ending where everybody lives happily ever after 😆

It depends, really. Sometimes I like to inject the world I role-play in with misery, death and destruction, and sometimes I like to be evil. The thing is most games RPG's and choice based games are more rewarding to people who make, let's say, "good karma" choices, so in all honesty that's usually how I play.