Register Now
Alexander.

COVID-19 Impact on the Gaming industry

My question: During the pandemic, we've seen a lot of non-essential businesses and firms close temporarily as a result of government new legislations. For that reason, how do you feel COVID-19 has impacted the gaming industry and why? Do you feel there will be changes yet to come?

My opinion: My view is that physical game stores, like Game, were struggling before due to the likes of online marketplaces such as Steam and Epic Games. People's routines have been forced to change in consequence of the government restrictions, so most gamers would now be making their purchases online more-so nowadays.

Edited by Alexander.

Digital downloads are bigger than ever now. Granted, DDL was popular before the pandemic, but since COVID-19 hit, that seems to be the way EVERYONE is getting their games. I was never a fan of digital games because I thought that if something happened to the system, then I was screwed for all the games I had. So I always wanted physical copies. But even I have been going digital for a large part of my gaming purchases.

But then there are also things like PlayStation Plus, and other online programs. So I think the ones most hard hit are the game stores such as GameStop, just like you mentioned. Which kinda sucks, because I always enjoyed browsing, and hitting the bargain bin. I've picked up some really sweet games for $2 several times.

I think damage is yet to come. Like say not for the downloadable games but the devices meaant for the gaming and also devices which are meant to be shipped last 3 months are not even out yet. So each added month is a big loss. 

People are spending most of their time at home and playing games is a good way to spend quality time while enjoying yourself. For me, gaming industry is still doing very good all around the world and COVID-19 hasn't impacted the gaming industry as much as it has some of the other industries.

14 hours ago, victor55 said:

People are spending most of their time at home and playing games is a good way to spend quality time while enjoying yourself. For me, gaming industry is still doing very good all around the world and COVID-19 hasn't impacted the gaming industry as much as it has some of the other industries.

True only the hardware and logistic dependent industries are hurt with it. 

If anything, Covid-19 is causing a gaming boom - due to the fact people are locked up.  Nonetheless, physical game stores are suffering - because they are non-essential businesses.  Well, unless they have some kind of online store on social media maybe.  I haven't seen any, though.  Has anyone else?

3 hours ago, Jayson said:

If anything, Covid-19 is causing a gaming boom - due to the fact people are locked up.  Nonetheless, physical game stores are suffering - because they are non-essential businesses.  Well, unless they have some kind of online store on social media maybe.  I haven't seen any, though.  Has anyone else?

Indeed a game development studios around the world are getting rich. And a lot of people are finding that as a new career. 

8 hours ago, Jayson said:

GameStop has been open here where I live. But they are taking precautions. They’re only allowing 5 customers in the store at a time. But so far they have been doing great, since people are wanting something to eat up time and boredom, and are coming to look for new games. Either as an avid gamer like all of us here at this forum, or as newbies.

I think there is going to be a divide on the opinion in regards to what happened in developed and developing countries. 

In developed countries, it might be true to say that the gaming industry did see a boost and things are now on a level playing field. But in developing countries where the gaming industry isnt much big, I think the prospects would have gone down as people wanted to keep more money liquid and not spend it on gaming. 

Pirated games. Boom.

Lockdown or not, the only way I really have to keep myself entertained is my pets and gaming. I love letting one of my rats crawl all over me and getting kisses from them. The same for my dogs. My bird loves to crawl around on my head and perch on my glasses. But when I want to be left alone I get on a game. But I can't have my bird out of her cage if I want to game in the same room. It pisses her off, and she will bite the shit out of me until I put down the controller. She also hates nail polish for some reason. And she also hates anyone who isn't me.

How in the hell do I get so damn off track in so many posts?

Edited by The Blackangel

I think there are chances that many tasks in the everyday world will have some sort of gaming component. And who knows if crypto gets in the mix of the gaming industry I think that would lead to the benefit as well.