Register Now
Kane99

Did anyone buy from a scalper?

These new gen consoles are being scalped like crazy lately. Around here, people have been waiting for more consoles to show up in stores. I hear a lot of scalpers are trying to buy up the newly released batches and it's bugging people out. Has anyone here purchased one of their PS5s from a scalper? Scalpers these days are using bots like crazy to get their buys in first. I think it's to the point where some sites have to limit the amount of consoles one person can get, or the amount that can be sold within a certain time frame. 

Here's hoping stores are catching on to this and are blocking more of these annoying scalpers. 

I'm waiting to buy my consoles, but I suspect scalpers will keep doing this nonsense. So please, don't buy from them. If you can, be patient otherwise, because you won't want to give your extra money to these annoying scalpers. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:48 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don’t think anyone here is stupid enough to buy from a scalper. But in the event that someone IS, then I have no sympathy for them when they have to choose between rent and food because they spent $1000 on a $400 PlayStation.

$1000? try 1500. I would rather burn in hell than buy from a scalper. I'd just be adding to the problem if I did. Screw that.

On 12/8/2020 at 6:27 AM, skyfire said:

I can;t afford from scalpers on ebay and craiglist. I have noticed the prices in the range from 1100 to 1800 USD $. Imagine if they continue to do this for next 6 months that would be bad. 

Sooner or later the government is going to step in and they'll be out of business as more people start complaining.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:48 AM, The Blackangel said:

I don’t think anyone here is stupid enough to buy from a scalper.

You don't know that, and there might be in fact. People get so easy into buying and do not even see the truth facts. Warnings about it all the time but people just do it anyway then they learn the mistake that they spent so much money and can't even get it back. One reasons to why I never buy or sell on Ebay and always buy new items from the real deal stores outlet.  

I never had or dealt with that as I'm not silly 😜 

Stores are to blame too for not capping the number of units sold at each purchase or account. If they did, there would be plenty to go around till it gets sold out. Then the manufacturer should have that covered and more on the way in a month or so. Bad business all the way around. The ps5 isn't a collectible and limited production. They didn't anticipate a sell out? Scalpers would be pointless if another shipment was on the way. Or maybe the new system is practice launch to see how it runs? No other excuse to not anticipate a high demand and not have more on the way. 

12 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I haven't looked at eBay. The ones I have seen are on Craigslist.

Ebay is out of hand!

12 hours ago, Empire said:

You don't know that, and there might be in fact. People get so easy into buying and do not even see the truth facts. Warnings about it all the time but people just do it anyway then they learn the mistake that they spent so much money and can't even get it back. One reasons to why I never buy or sell on Ebay and always buy new items from the real deal stores outlet.  

I never had or dealt with that as I'm not silly 😜 

The thing is, those scalpers can also sell you a fake product so they spent all this money and only a fake PS5 to show for it? Matter of fact, there's some idiot complaining on Youtube.

11 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Stores are to blame too for not capping the number of units sold at each purchase or account. If they did, there would be plenty to go around till it gets sold out. Then the manufacturer should have that covered and more on the way in a month or so. Bad business all the way around. The ps5 isn't a collectible and limited production. They didn't anticipate a sell out? Scalpers would be pointless if another shipment was on the way. Or maybe the new system is practice launch to see how it runs? No other excuse to not anticipate a high demand and not have more on the way. 

I think we need a law to punish the idiots that choose to buy from these scalpers as well. I bet that most people would desist immediately.

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The thing is, those scalpers can also sell you a fake product so they spent all this money and only a fake PS5 to show for it? Matter of fact, there's some idiot complaining on Youtube.

That's the risk when buying from ebay and even Gumtree at times. Yet that's on going and people will always get ticked so easy. If it does happen it's not easy to get the money back, well at times you don't. 

On 12/18/2020 at 7:31 AM, Empire said:

That's the risk when buying from ebay and even Gumtree at times. Yet that's on going and people will always get ticked so easy. If it does happen it's not easy to get the money back, well at times you don't. 

So true. It's a pain to deal with Ebay customer service (the imaginary customer service) because what they'll essentially tell you is that you'll have to suck it up unless you do a chargeback on your credit card and then you'll run into all kinds of problems with PayPal as well.

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

So true. It's a pain to deal with Ebay customer service (the imaginary customer service) because what they'll essentially tell you is that you'll have to suck it up unless you do a chargeback on your credit card and then you'll run into all kinds of problems with PayPal as well.

End of the day you have no idea what the other person is like on the other end of the world 😛 the burer and the seller. I have sold items on Ebay before and it was mostly bad. I think I only sold two items where the person is happy. I sold a six months old AC adapter and two buyers said doesn't work right away and yet works for me. Last person gave me hell. And one time bought a item and they sent be the wrong item and taken 3 weeks to get my money back. Seller blaming me. 

I looked up prices for the ps5 on eBay and current bids are at around $700-$800. I haven't even seen the ending price. I don't know why someone would be so desperate to get it at that price right now and not wait for the next batch. I've been using eBay for my collectibles for a while and haven't had any problems that either the seller didn't fix or eBay refunding me. You have to be cautious if the seller has too few feedback, or many negative feedbacks. Always look at their selling history and pay attention to the item details. Don't assume anything if it isn't mentioned. Be wary of not enough or not very good pics of the item. And electronics especially, make sure the seller offers refunds or buy the warranty. Can't stress those things enough. I do understand that some sellers don't offer refunds because some buyers may try to scam them and want to return a similar item that wasn't purchased from them. 

I believe only people that got way extra money in their pockets are the ones who buy from scalpers, or Tech youtubers that should hurry and do reviews before everyone else, simple users don't really have to spend extra bucks for something they could have for less than half of the price