Register Now
Kane99

Games you loved, but ended up hating as an adult

What are some games you loved playing when you were a kid, but ended up hating it as you became an adult? Maybe it was just too much of the same for you, or maybe the game always sucked and you just had nostalgia glasses on with it. I liked a lot of crappy games as a kid. One game I still love, even though I do have a hatred somewhat for it, is Bart Vs. The World. Seriously love the game, but it's royally tough to beat, especially with Barts annoying slippery running and jumping. Don't even get me started on the cave levels. I can say the same for TMNT the NES game, because I loved that as a kid, and hate how tough it is. But even as a kid it angered me lol. 

Anyway, what are some games you remember enjoying as a kid, but hate when you revisit it? 

I don't make a habit of revisiting childhood games as an adult. Times change and most of what was interesting to 12 year old me, no longer is.

When I did  revisit some games, the most common experience was that what seemed extremely hard and complex back then usually seems like child's play as an adult. It doesn't mean that I now hate those games, though.

I think what is more interesting is what games you can play with the same enthusiasm as an adult as you did as a kid.

Edited by m76

4 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't make a habit of revisiting childhood games as an adult. Times change and most of what was interesting to 12 year old me, no longer is.

When I did  revisit some games, the most common experience was that what seemed extremely hard and complex back then usually seems like child's play as an adult. It doesn't mean that I now hate those games, though.

I think what is more interesting is what games you can play with the same enthusiasm as an adult as you did as a kid.

I have to agree actually - but if I was to choose a game it has to be Fifa. I used to play it hours on end growing up but the game has become such a bug-ridden mess in the last decade that I no longer want anything to do with it. I even got a free copy of 2021 but I just haven't bothered to even check it out.

Dark Souls has sort of become like that for me. It's honestly one of my favorite series, with the original being within my top ~5 games. But for some reason with the last two years or so my motivation to replay them has just gone out the window. I still think about how I want to replay them often, and even reinstall... but then I just think about some of the hard parts that I'm not in the mood to replay 10 or 20 times anymore and just quit.

I was a big fan of the Syberia series of adventure games as a child, and I went back and attempted to play them again a few years ago. 

I remembered there being this one character who was my favorite, and I was excited to get to the point of the game where I met him. When I finally did, the second he opened his mouth, I was like, "Oh God, I'm going to be stuck with your annoying ass for the whole rest of this game, aren't I?"

Spoiler alert: I totally was

Long story short, those games did not hold up to my beloved childhood memories.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, Alexander. said:

One game that I really liked as a child but ended up hating as a young adult, would probably be Minecraft. It's not the game itself. It's the countless hours I've spent playing which concludes this decision. 

I totally understand. Another I could say is the Sims - I used to spend a decent amount of time on it until one day I just got so tired of it!

On 2/18/2021 at 10:52 PM, Alexander. said:

One game that I really liked as a child but ended up hating as a young adult, would probably be Minecraft. It's not the game itself. It's the countless hours I've spent playing which concludes this decision. 

I hated this one Minecraft right from my first time of playing the game as it never clicked for me.

I liked Mario a lot as a kid but grew and had no flair towards it again.