Register Now
Kane99

Ever injured your hand while gaming?

54 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

Yep and those controllers were durable as hell. Nowadays, if you drop your controller even once, you have to assume it's not going to function properly anymore.

I'm pretty sure that they actually did it on purpose because the more durable the controllers are, the less sales they make. 

43 minutes ago, Heatman said:

I'm pretty sure that they actually did it on purpose because the more durable the controllers are, the less sales they make. 

I know - just like they don't make the batteries of phones removable anymore so that you'd have to buy a new device instead of spending  at most $100 on a new battery.

1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Yep and those controllers were durable as hell. Nowadays, if you drop your controller even once, you have to assume it's not going to function properly anymore.

I's disagree with you there. I've dropped my DS4 dozens of times and it's always worked fine. And, if anything, the XB1 controllers are built even better. I've only had to replace my DS4 once because the internal battery was loosing it's ability to retain a charge (an inevitability will any reparable battery). For the PS£, it was a different matter. You would have had your forth, maybe fifth haircut since you bought it and it would suddenly stop working. There were crap.

On topic, I don't see how it's possible to injure your hand directly playing a game unless the control interface your using is very badly designed or you're using it wrong, and even then it just isn't realistic in these times. Companies like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have spent many years and even more $millions developing thier control interfaces with great effect to the point where I just don't see how it's possible to injure whilst using a controller normally without there being some pre-existing condition. Game modern game controls and even M/K configurations just don't push hand movements and responses hard enough to cause a problem.

I work in heavy industry and I'm well aware of the risks the use of man made tools pose on the body, and I can tell you for a fact that there is no game control interface that poses something even close to a comparable level of risk to the tools I use daily.

Edited by Shagger

1 hour ago, Shagger said:

I's disagree with you there. I've dropped my DS4 dozens of times and it's always worked fine. And, if anything, the XB1 controllers are built even better. I've only had to replace my DS4 once because the internal battery was loosing it's ability to retain a charge (an inevitability will any reparable battery). For the PS£, it was a different matter. You would have had your forth, maybe fifth haircut since you bought it and it would suddenly stop working. There were crap.

Um...... which PS was that?

14 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Um...... which PS was that?

It's the PS3. What I did there was hold onto the SHITFT key for a moment to long to generate the capitol letters, but ended up typing a pound sign (£) instead of the number three as they are assigned to the same key on this keyboard. One uses the SHIFT key to switch between the two key functions, the same key used to switch between capitol letters and lower case. My bad.

Edited by Shagger

2 hours ago, Shagger said:

It's the PS3. What I did there was hold onto the SHITFT key for a moment to long to generate the capitol letters, but ended up typing a pound sign (£) instead of the number three as they are assigned to the same key on this keyboard. One uses the SHIFT key to switch between the two key functions, the same key used to switch between capitol letters and lower case. My bad.

I was talking 90s and early 2000s controllers like the PS2 and the original Xbox Controllers and the N64. The Xbox 360 controllers were also pretty easy to damage because they were made out of some kind of toy-like plastic.

15 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

The Xbox 360 controllers were also pretty easy to damage because they were made out of some kind of toy-like plastic.

I gotta disagree there.  I have 2 working XBox 360 controllers and these things are tough as hell, certainly outlasting the consoles they were made for!  Whereas the Dualshock 3 was made out plastic so thin you could literally see through it, and they were black!

15 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I was talking 90s and early 2000s controllers like the PS2 and the original Xbox Controllers and the N64.

If anything the N64 and in particular the original XBox controllers were harder to break.  I will side with you on the PS2 controllers though.

Edited by Crazycrab

8 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I was talking 90s and early 2000s controllers like the PS2 and the original Xbox Controllers and the N64. The Xbox 360 controllers were also pretty easy to damage because they were made out of some kind of toy-like plastic.

I've been gaming since the early 1990's. And on systems like the Atari 2600. I've gamed on just about all systems since then, especially the N64 and PS2 as they are my favourite systems. Now I do indeed hate the Original XBox controllers, thier sheer size was ridiculous. But did I find a durability problem like I fund with DS3? No. I know there are controllers like the on for the Atari 5200 that had a horrible reputation that I can't speak of, but based on my recollection the PS3 controller was the worst with time and quality overall considered.

Edited by Shagger

19 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

If anything the N64 and in particular the original XBox controllers were harder to break.  I will side with you on the PS2 controllers though.

But that's what I was saying - the original Xbox and PS2 controllers and other other controllers from that era were extremely durable. On the other hand, my experience with PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers have been more or less the same thing.

14 minutes ago, Shagger said:

I've been gaming since the early 1990's. And on systems like the Atari 2600. I've gamed on just about all systems since then, especially the N64 and PS2 as they are my favourite systems. Now I do indeed hate the Original XBox controllers, thier sheer size was ridiculous. But did I find a durability problem like I fund with DS3? No. I know there are controllers like the on for the Atari 5200 that had a horrible reputation that I cant speak of, but based on my recollection the PS3 crto;;er was the worst with time?ade and quality overall considered.

I didn't disagree about the PS3 controllers - I also thought they were horrible but I was highlighting the fact that more recent controllers are far more brittle than most earlier controllers. Of course there are a few exceptions but in general, the quality across the board has really been dropping since the early 2000s. 

20 hours ago, Shagger said:

I know how the shift key works. But being that it had the £ on there, I didn't know because I don't know what key that was assigned to. For example the $ is on the 4 key. The @ is on the 2 key.

3 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I know how the shift key works. But being that it had the £ on there, I didn't know because I don't know what key that was assigned to. For example the $ is on the 4 key. The @ is on the 2 key.

It depends - if I'm not mistaken @Shagger keyboard is the UK English variant so some of the keys are quite different. For instance, we don't have the Sterling symbol on ours so we'd have to type in a series of numbers if I remember correctly.

On a North American keyboard, to get those symbols we have to use an ALT sequence. For example to get the £ you have to hold down the ALT button, then use the number pad to the right of the keyboard and put in 156. I go to a particular website when I need a character that isn't on an American keyboard. It's a life saver at times.