Register Now
DanielStone

Can gaming be a job?

Hello everyone,

Currently the streamer job is a very hot job, attracting a lot of people to join because of the profits it brings. The streamers often live stream the game, making money from that stream. It can be said that playing game can be considered a job because it brings money to everyone. Do you guys think like that?

Thanks everyone.

4 hours ago, DanielStone said:

Currently the streamer job is a very hot job

You've answered the question in the title. So, yes, gaming can be a job. Whether it's a lucrative job depends on some measures within your control such as charisma and choice of game, and others not in your control like your audience and algorithms.

4 hours ago, DanielStone said:

It can be said that playing game can be considered a job because it brings money to everyone.

This is where it gets tricky - is it enough money to quit your day job, even if it may end up requiring more hours?

It doesn't have to be a job to generate revenue. It might be enough to get 'beer money', which as the name suggests, is enough to buy some beers while your wages elsewhere pay for the rest of your living costs.

Never make your hobby your job. It'll ruin it. I live by that rule. It's OK to stream games, but only as long as you enjoy it, as soon as it becomes an obligation it's all over.

If you can make money off your hobby, that's great, but never turn it into a job. I'm actually making a tiny amount of money off one of my hobbies, but it's really nothing significant and I end up reinvesting most of it into the hobby. I've been approached by multiple people already to do custom work for them for money, and i turn all of them down.

Edited by m76

17 minutes ago, m76 said:

Never make your hobby your job. It'll ruin it. I live by that rule. It's OK to stream games, but only as long as you enjoy it, as soon as it becomes an obligation it's all over.

If you can make money off your hobby, that's great, but never turn it into a job. I'm actually making a tiny amount of money off one of my hobbies, but it's really nothing significant and I end up reinvesting most of it into the hobby. I've been approached by multiple people already to do custom work for them for money, and i turn all of them down.

It's true - I know plenty of people who've tried to be streamers and they ended up suffering burnout to the point they started hating games.

I think there are people who play it as a part of testing work. And that can turn out to be a hobby. A lot of people who are into this are making it a career now even with streaming jobs from brands. But I prefer not making it daily job as it would ruin the fun. 

Short Answer : Yes

Long Answer : also Yes, but with a small clarification, it can be actually way better than lot of offline jobs where people are being stressed for the whole day, streamers or even youtubers gathering a decent income from Youtube that they probably never think about quitting ever

On 3/20/2021 at 2:47 AM, Withywarlock said:

It doesn't have to be a job to generate revenue. It might be enough to get 'beer money', which as the name suggests, is enough to buy some beers while your wages elsewhere pay for the rest of your living costs.

For some that beer money is a full time salary. 🤑🍺🤪🤮

7 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I have my own safe at the bank full of liquid gold. If the economy tanks I've got something to liquidate. 

That's pretty smart if you ask me because the price of gold consistently continues to increase so you'll definitely have a good sum to fall back on. As for me, I also have an emergency fund that I've had with an investment agency since 2009 and I've never touched it so I can fall back on that if anything happens. The funny thing is, I got hacked a few years back and forgot I even had it although I was still paying for it.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, Withywarlock said:

You've answered the question in the title. So, yes, gaming can be a job. Whether it's a lucrative job depends on some measures within your control such as charisma and choice of game, and others not in your control like your audience and algorithms.

This is where it gets tricky - is it enough money to quit your day job, even if it may end up requiring more hours?

Thanks for your detailed comment.

On 3/21/2021 at 5:52 AM, killamch89 said:

It's true - I know plenty of people who've tried to be streamers and they ended up suffering burnout to the point they started hating games.

But if you have a hobby that makes money, especially a lot of money, you should also try it right?

On 3/22/2021 at 2:38 AM, skyfire said:

I think there are people who play it as a part of testing work. And that can turn out to be a hobby. A lot of people who are into this are making it a career now even with streaming jobs from brands. But I prefer not making it daily job as it would ruin the fun. 

It spoils the fun, but it gives you other things.