Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do you like all surfaces to be climbable?

When you are playing a game like Skyrim or Fallout featuring an open world, do you like to be able to have the option of scrambling up and over any surface (i.e. a cliff face), however unrealistic, or do you prefer the game stop you completely (like Fallout NV does)?

I think I prefer the climbing, just because I like trying to get to hard-to-reach places on maps. But I can understand the argument the other way.

I wish there were no artificial barriers in open world games, but also wish scaling natural obstacles should be more realistic. Even games like Tomb Raider do it wrong, because they only make ledges climbambe that you are supposed to climb. I think you should be able to climb any rock wall. it would be much more fun to find your own route to the top of the cliff instead of trying to guess the level designer's preferred route.

The idea of being able to clime any surface is appealing on paper, but there's really one game I can immediately think of that's done it, that being Zelda: BOTW, and it was done terribly. The movement was slow, unintuitive and any sense of freedom it may have been able to offer was completely ruined by that damb stamina bar. It was obvious they used that to "lock off" certain parts of the game, so it wasn't neerly as open and free as it first appeared. I hated it. 

Climbing mechanics are usually used to create boundaries and structure as well as challenges in a game, and I don't really mind that. That's the way games like Uncharted, Tomb Raider and Horizon: Zero Dawn used used them, and it works well in those. Still, I'd love to see a game come along with a open climbing mechanic and actually get it right. 

Just as I was done typing this I remembered the Just Cause franchise, but I can't remember if one was actually able to climb anywhere in those games. Dose anyone know for sure? 

21 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Just as I was done typing this I remembered the Just Cause franchise, but I can't remember if one was actually able to climb anywhere in those games. Dose anyone know for sure? 

The MC had a grappling hook-like item he used to scale and grab objects but it wasn't really climbing in the traditional sense.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:47 AM, killamch89 said:

For the longest time, I've always wanted a climbing mechanic in Elder Scroll/ Fallout games. It is so unimmersive to be constantly hopping around trying to get up a mountain. It just looks like my character is having a seizure.

Haha, seriously that is very hilarious looking at the character acting as if it's being shocked with high voltage of electricity. Sometimes, I do that on purpose just to laugh. 

On 3/26/2021 at 2:24 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've seen those seizures a few times in the game. I wish there was more climbing in most games. 

I don't really think it's going to be realistic when it's possible to climb where isn't supposed to climbable if we are looking at having the game look real.