Register Now
StaceyPowers

How important are day and night for you in a game world?

I’ve noticed that games that allow a seamless transition between day and night add a lot of realism and immersion for me. I don’t think they are necessary to have a good experience, but they do add a lot over one static time of day. How do you feel about this?

It varies from game to game. Some games it's needed, others it's not. Some games it would ruin to have the time of day change. Mainly older games. But games are going more open world and going for more realism today, so something being in eternal day or night would ruin the whole game.

6 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I much rather the day and night cycle because it creates ideal conditions for certain tactics such as carrying out a raid in darkness. If you were to try and take down a whole army in daylight, that'd be quite problematic.

Try the fucking Lemoyne Raiders. Especially at Shady Belle. There's a fucking army and only 2 of you to take them all on. And with one on the balcony with a god damn gatlin gun, the fun's just getting started. And it only takes place during daylight.

54 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Try the fucking Lemoyne Raiders. Especially at Shady Belle. There's a fucking army and only 2 of you to take them all on. And with one on the balcony with a god damn gatlin gun, the fun's just getting started. And it only takes place during daylight.

Yeah, I just remembered and that's why I rather day and night cycles although it takes place only during the day. Having to go in Wild Wild West style is very difficult but it does make the scenario interesting.

18 hours ago, Patrik said:

Night seems to be having a unique vibe in games if you ask me, day is pretty boring, night combined with rain and storm = aestheticc

Also = stealth although I'd like a game that makes storms as hazardous to traverse in as in real life.

On 4/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, killamch89 said:

Also = stealth although I'd like a game that makes storms as hazardous to traverse in as in real life.

I think that would be pretty cool to have real storms and its effects. The only games where I've seen that are AC Black Flag and the ocean waves and tornados, and sand storms in Mad Max/AC Origins. There was a quest in Witcher 3 traveling in different worlds and the snow was so cold it affected his health and could kill him. But it would be cool to see more of that. I want realism, then have a flash flood and trap you in a certain part of the map. Seek shelter in a hurricane. You die once the temp is too low. I wouldn't want them to get carried away with it as it can take away from gameplay, but a little is good. 

Some games have the option to change from day to night. I usually don't use the feature that much, but always good to have. I like having day night cycles as long as it doesn't go by so fast. 

I suppose if you like a little bit of trepidation along with a dose of what lurks beyond then night time is for you but with the games I play I really prefer day time. I think that it's also easier on my eyes. Does anyone else struggle with night time games and their eyes?

Honestly depends on the game. In GTA, Rust and other games that are more life like RPGs in a way, I rather have the day and night circle, in strategies it is sometimes usless unless it's like warcraft 3 where night elfs get invisibility or such things.