Register Now
StaceyPowers

How do reviewers cram so much game play in so fast?

Running under the assumption that it's a reviewer who does make the effort to play as much of the game as possible, There's two reasons:

1. Early review copies, the bigger ones at least get their review copies a week or so early.
  2. The play in 8 - 12 hour marathon sessions to get their reviews out as quickly as possible.

They primarily focus on the main story and play in very long sessions. Also, they tend to have copies of the game a couple weeks in advance so they'd have spent enough time getting to know the pros and cons of the game. Having said that, IGN is pretty terrible at it though...

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

I’m always amazed at the detailed reviews that show up for huge games within a day of their release. Seriously, how do reviewers cram in so much so fast?

They get early review copies. I thought this was common knowledge. Which actually is a segue into one of my pet peeves. That I often feel left out and ignored as a gamer, while so called reviewers get all the goodies and attention. Like early access, behind the scenes looks, gift boxes, exclusive merchandize  etc. I feel like a second class citizen fighting for their scraps.

22 hours ago, m76 said:

They get early review copies. I thought this was common knowledge. Which actually is a segue into one of my pet peeves. That I often feel left out and ignored as a gamer, while so called reviewers get all the goodies and attention. Like early access, behind the scenes looks, gift boxes, exclusive merchandize  etc. I feel like a second class citizen fighting for their scraps.

The feeling of being a second-class citizen is so true! But hey sometimes it is nice to know if a game is bad or good before you commit the time and money into it right? 

1 hour ago, lludawg said:

The feeling of being a second-class citizen is so true! But hey sometimes it is nice to know if a game is bad or good before you commit the time and money into it right? 

Well, professional* reviews aren't very reliable nowadays. They seem to be judging games on odd criteria.

Reviews never come into factor for making my buying decisions. since there are only three types of games for me:

1. Which I'm sold on, so I buy them day1 without reading reviews (cause I hate spoiling even minor non-story critical elements)
  2. The second type is the game I have doubts about, in this case I usually wait after release and see what's the world among actual gamers, and not those who get paid to play the game
  3. The third type is the game I have decidedly no interest in

* I use the term solely on the basis of doing it for a living, and not in relation to the quality of the work.

Edited by m76

Unless they get the game early before anyone else and plays the game before it gets out is one option. But end of all they can't They might not even have the game and played the game but rather do the review from what they have had and hear and sen others do.

Most reviews are month after the full release and then read the people game reviews 🙂 

8 hours ago, Empire said:

Unless they get the game early before anyone else and plays the game before it gets out is one option. But end of all they can't They might not even have the game and played the game but rather do the review from what they have had and hear and sen others do.

Most reviews are month after the full release and then read the people game reviews 🙂 

Some reviewers like the ones from IGN are pretty lazy though so they might play mainly bits of the main game and do a couple of side missions and then they call it a "review". Sometimes, they don't even understand how to play the game...

I just do not like reviews like that, Same with tech reviews and whatnot. You hear about the new news but end of the day I watch those that have spent a full week or more on that tech that they got their hands on to do a real deal.

Seen so many that do a full review and yet they just got the new tech as of today and have not had a good amount of days to weeks to see it for themselves.

On 4/29/2021 at 11:47 AM, Empire said:

Exactly, when the timing doesn't fit, it means that the reviews are actually cooked up in my opinion. When was the game played for so much reviews to be written already when it just got released?