Register Now
killamch89

PS5s Will Be Hard To Find Even Through 2022 Due To Low Supply and High Demand Says Sony

I think this shouldn't be much of a surprise to almost anyone because of the component shortages worldwide so most electronic companies are struggling to meet the amount of demand for their products. What do you think of Sony's latest revelation? 

It doesn't affect me personally all that much, because I always wait several years to buy a new/next gen console, assuming I buy one at all. But with the shortage of components needed and the demand going higher and higher every day, there's no way they can meet the worldwide demand anytime soon. I would estimate that it would be mid 2023 to late 2023 before they will be able to put out more of the system and start meeting the demand. I may be over shooting it, or I may be under shooting it. Only time will tell.

Well I'm not going out of my way to get one. So lack of supply kills demand. There is no real reason to get one now anyway. If it was readily available I might have bought one already, but as it stands, to me it's koalas in the rain.

The best thing you can do (and should have done already) is to pre-order a console and then wait. I preordered my ps5 in may last year and got it this April. So I waited nearly 6 months after the release to get mine 🙂

If you had a business since the 90's, would you make sure to have enough supply when a new product came out? No excuse. I think what they do is release a certain test console to see how it goes. Then they release another model that was updated a little. So either it's bad business, or the 1st consoles are test products. But then again, more people have turned to gaming and scalpers are on the loose. But does this affect any releases of games? It would be hard to determine the actual quality of a ps5 game if many of the consumers can't even get the system. That would leave the majority of reviews up to those that got the system in advance or at a high price. I wouldn't release any new game the first year or two a new console comes out. So this probably affects new games released. 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

The best thing you can do (and should have done already) is to pre-order a console and then wait. I preordered my ps5 in may last year and got it this April. So I waited nearly 6 months after the release to get mine 🙂

I'm too pre-occupied with building my gaming PC to focus on a console plus I've been burnt badly during the pre-order process so I'll just have to wait like everyone else.

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

If you had a business since the 90's, would you make sure to have enough supply when a new product came out? No excuse. I think what they do is release a certain test console to see how it goes. Then they release another model that was updated a little. So either it's bad business, or the 1st consoles are test products. But then again, more people have turned to gaming and scalpers are on the loose. But does this affect any releases of games? It would be hard to determine the actual quality of a ps5 game if many of the consumers can't even get the system. That would leave the majority of reviews up to those that got the system in advance or at a high price. I wouldn't release any new game the first year or two a new console comes out. So this probably affects new games released. 

The components that make up PS5s and other electronics are in very short supply. This is pretty noticeable in most industries so you can't really blame Sony. The Xbox Series X/S is facing a similar issue and don't even get me started on GPUs! 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Consoles from back then used chips that were simpler and cheaper to make. Thus they were in a much higher supply. The chips that we use now didn’t exist back then. You’re talking about 16 bit graphics being the pinnacle of gaming design. Now, however, the chips we have are capable of running lifelike graphics. If they offered scent we could tell who had recently brushed their teeth and who farted. The technology of gaming now is so intricate and powerful that one chip takes much longer to make than it did 10, 20, 30 years ago. As technology advances, chips and other components to support it will take longer to make, thus slower supply chains. It’s like when CD’s were released. People were spending thousands on CD players and getting rid of their cassette players. Now people are streaming and buying digitally, and losing interest in CD’s for a large part.

Supply and demand is directly related to technological capabilities and advancements.

If I was gonna sell at a hotdog stand for a football game with short supply of dogs, I would get plenty of weenies first and if it wasn't available, I'd sell ice cream for the game day. I wouldn't be a chump. Who told them to release the console in 2020? They should have gone to a mine themselves or go to the moon with all their money and get the precious metals and chips they need. 

21 hours ago, m76 said:

Well I'm not going out of my way to get one. So lack of supply kills demand. There is no real reason to get one now anyway. If it was readily available I might have bought one already, but as it stands, to me it's koalas in the rain.

I'd have gone with this

6 hours ago, Shagger said:

I'd have gone with this

Ukulele for the world 🤣

5 hours ago, DylanC said:

That's nuts. Thing is, demand for the PS5 is crazy right now. Despite a pandemic and parts shortages, the PS5 is still Sony's fastest-selling console of all time. Just a shame that the launch was tarnished by all those pesky scalpers and bots. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-17-ps5-the-fastest-selling-console-in-us-history

We do still have that scalping problem unfortunately. You just have to take a look on eBay and other platforms and you'll see that it shows no signs of slowing down.

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Ukulele for the world 🤣

We do still have that scalping problem unfortunately. You just have to take a look on eBay and other platforms and you'll see that it shows no signs of slowing down.

Aye, that’s indeed true. Managed to nab a PS5 at launch, personally. Didn’t quite realise how bad the scalping problem still is tbh.

15 hours ago, DylanC said:

Aye, that’s indeed true. Managed to nab a PS5 at launch, personally. Didn’t quite realise how bad the scalping problem still is tbh.

Ever since this scalping issue has come up, I no longer purchase anything on eBay and most other sites. The prices are so mind-numbingly ridiculous that I'd not even consider anything on eBay ever again.