Register Now
killamch89

Amazon Is Just As Bad As Google At Making Video Games

Where do I start...Amazon upsets New World MMO players with Pay-To-Win Microtransaction system and to add further insult to injury, makes up awful excuses after the backlash. Amazon is yet to have a hit game from Amazon Game Studios and on top of that, their games suck quite frankly. Just like Google, they have no idea of how to break into the gaming industry and that doesn't look like it'll change anytime soon. What are your thoughts about this?

Their statement in full. Some choice highlights below:

Some questions have come up recently from out Alpha patch notes discussing an in-game storefront.

>Alpha

>Storefront

Pick one. You've already cancelled Crucible and the Lord of the Rings MMO, there's no need to give me further evidence this will be the third game in 12 months before it's even released.

Our plan in having a store is to create an outlet for players who find enough value in store items that they are happy to purchase them.

And that's precisely the problem. When you give players the option to pay for something, they'll pay for it. This has had demonstrably poor results in the past. In addition to what boosting levels has done to World of Warcraft, a substitute for fixing the poor levelling experience, the wonderment of gear has gone out of the window thanks to transmogrification (cosmetic changes to items with stats) has not been helped by the store, which also charges for automated services. Blizzard also remove pets from the store to create a fear of missing out, or FOMO for short.

Introducing such things before the game is even out is one way to completely undermine the massively multiplayer component of the game.

Our plan is not, and never will be, to create a feeling that store items are necessary to enjoy the game.

No plan survives contact with the enemy. You are guilty of doing this by omission, because that's what selling something is all about. Nobody has ever sold anything by saying it's something someone doesn't want or need, except when it's unpopular.

All players will be able to play the full game experience we ship without having to make store purchases.

So where's the option to play the game that doesn't have a store available? Where's the option to play with people who haven't (or cannot) use the store? If that doesn't exist, you're wrong.

All store items at launch will be exclusively cosmetic in nature.

Cosmetics are just as important to me as statted items.

We are introducing the storefront in Alpha in order to test these items and their value. No selections in the store or their indicated value (during testing there is no real cost in any case) is final. Our purpose is quality assurance and gathering player feedback, so please share your thoughts once the system is introduced.

I saw this when I was part of the Heroes of the Storm Alpha (full disclosure: invited due to MVP status on Blizzard's EU forums). I'll tell you now, the cost will start high and never go down, hence why I call it "the rich man's free-to-play game."

Looking towards the future, we will also test ideas on how to offer players quality of life items for mechanics like rested XP and fast travel, both obtainable in-game and purchasable in the store.

"Looking towards the future" is optimistic. And why do people need this if it isn't a subscription based game? Time is not money in this instance.

The more players who are able to experience all of our exciting end-game content and game modes, the healthier the overall game experience will be for all players.

Except those who aren't at, or don't enjoy, endgame. Again, this is the mentality that ruins games like WoW, except here it's the studio director Rich Lawrence telling us the game begins at endgame. I'm here to tell you it doesn't. It has to be fun the moment players begin wherever they are, otherwise they will use boosts to get past your boring parts or quit.

Our goal with all items of any time is that they not offer an advantage that imbalances the game.

Someone levelling faster because they paid to do so is an imbalance. How great an imbalance is entirely up to the individual to decide.

I'm rather glad that Blizzard have virtually no convictions any more because it means bad ideas get changed. So far Amazon have done right by cancelling several of their games, and I feel New World will be another added to their charnel list.

Just shows how video games need to be created from the bottom up, not top down. We see amazing indie titles come out all the time. Meanwhile, one of the biggest and most successful companies in the world can seem to get a handle on this because they are so focused on going by the numbers. I miss the old days when you could just earn everything by your own efforts instead of paying for all of it and every company's always out to get your wallet so sad.

What next, Amazon buys off Monsanto and controls all the seeds? From grocery to games; bigger isn't better, only more dangerous. There are laws against monopolies. Amazon will eventually breach it. They would if they could buy off all competitors. Own all games; own all services in entertainment; let's provide electricity too. Need water? We run the pipes now. What taxes? We are the government now. You play what we make now, government approved. Breathe...

OK OK, maybe it's not that bad. I just have something against a corporation that subtly threatens employees' votes on whether or not to join a labor union, with a bias not to. And the threat of layoffs lingering in the air while you vote, then a bribe to increase pay. And I just read that Amazon hires some people just so they can fire them. 'Hire to fire'; The reasons aren't clear to me, but they do it to meet a turnover quota. And don't get me started why Amazon doesn't pay taxes. So as a consumer, it is a responsibility and a good practice to not support company behavior that does those things. In the gaming world, they aren’t here for fair play. They move to control it all through subscription.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but monopolies are illegal here in the states. That doesn't stop companies from searching for loopholes to get around that law. The government made Bill Gates bail out Apple because they were on the verge of bankruptcy and if they did go under completely, then he would have had a monopoly. he fought it saying that it wasn't his fault that they had a shitty business practice. But in the end he still had to pay to bail them out, which is bullshit in my opinion. Then they didn't even get back into computers, but moved to the mobile market. So now he DOES have that monopoly, as all PC computers are under the Microsoft umbrella. Different OS (Linux, DOS, Unix, etc.) still run on an IBM machine, which is a PC. And Gates owns the patent on PC computers.

I think they are just occupying the space. they would be doing what they do good. hire chinese and bring products to US. I have seen them doing that with 99% of their entire business. I wont be surprised if they hire chinese game developers for their products if the local developers can't do success. 

On 5/19/2021 at 6:29 AM, skyfire said:

I think they are just occupying the space. they would be doing what they do good. hire chinese and bring products to US. I have seen them doing that with 99% of their entire business. I wont be surprised if they hire chinese game developers for their products if the local developers can't do success. 

I think Amazon wants to get into the gaming industry because they see how much money is made by companies here but the thing is, usually only companies with big reputations in the industry can get away with ripping off players with sub-standard games such as EA and Activision. Unfortunately,, Amazon doesn't have that luxury so unless they up their game, they won't be making any sort of dent in the gaming industry anytime soon.

On 5/21/2021 at 3:50 AM, skyfire said:

They have created a game engine which is half decent. considering we have cryengine, realengine, unity and ID software engine dominating the market. Amazon's lumberyard seems to be one sign that they are serious with the game studios. 

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

Until we see it in action in an actual game and we see that it works as advertised, I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

13 hours ago, skyfire said:

There are games from the indie devs making use of this engine. but as of now the engine is not powerful enough to beat the ID, Cryengine and few other engines in the market. 

Lumberyard is a fork of cryengine, amazon literally bought  a version of cryengine and added a few things related to MMOs. (like aws integration and web services) It is based on a 2015 version of cryengine.