Register Now
StaceyPowers

If you could run any study on video games, what would you choose?

27 minutes ago, m76 said:

I'd study the effects of 'violent' games on kids, and prove it once and for all that there is no correlation whatsoever between playing videogames and committing real world violence.

It's already been proven beyond any question or shadow of doubt dozens of times that violence in video has no link to real world violence.  At this point anyone who says otherwise is an idiot and/or looking for a scapegoat.  With that being said I would be interested in studying the effect of video games on other types of behavior, more specifically in positive ways.  For example could it influence your diet, encourage someone to stop smoking or drink less alcohol.  If true that could be a real benefit to some people.

Edited by Crazycrab

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's already been proven beyond any question or shadow of doubt dozens of times that violence in video has no link to real world violence.  At this point anyone who says otherwise is an idiot and/or looking for a scapegoat.  With that being said I would be interested in studying the effect of video games on other types of behavior, more specifically in positive ways.  For example could it influence your diet, encourage someone to stop smoking or drink less alcohol.  If true that could be a real benefit to some people.

This violent games cause kids to be violent agenda was started by politicians who wanted a scapegoat for their own shortcomings in managing crime and violence. Because so many non-gamers are sheep, they'll believe almost anything politicians say even when the opposite has been proven to be fact. That being said, I quite like your idea about studying gaming influence on positive lifestyle changes. Personally, I'd study the effects of gaming on developing decision making skills to see who much it benefits gamers and whether the effects are short or long-term.

I want to take a major leap and study 500,000 individuals of all ages and demographics while they are gaming for a 5 year period. God shit dimes so resources are infinite for this research. I want to see how or if gaming can reduce anger and psychological distress in an increasing toxic polarity in politics from the top all the way to the bottom to every household. Your politicians, grandparents, parents, coworkers, schools etc. I want to see if gaming itself, and the social environment with people you know can increase life quality not only personally but as a society. I want to study all the affects of societal and global gaming and interpersonal/cultural relationships. Emphasis on relationships. 

21 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

There was a case where a crazy ma was so obsessed with GTA that he tried to imitate game in real world. I had watched a video footage, he was driving recklessly and hitting bystanders severely. When he was caught and interrogated, he told the police that he thought he was playing a game. What would you call that? 🙄

Edited by Razor1911

1 hour ago, Razor1911 said:

There was a case where a crazy ma was so obsessed with GTA that he tried to imitate game in real world. I had watched a video footage, he was driving recklessly and hitting bystanders severely. When he was caught and interrogated, he told the police that he thought he was playing a game. What would you call that? 🙄

I call that acting out on a long term undiagnosed psychological problem that would mimic absolutely anything due to schizophrenia. 

1 hour ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I call that acting out on a long term undiagnosed psychological problem that would mimic absolutely anything due to schizophrenia. 

But his statement was taken as testimony. Even people were outraged and demanded ban on such open world games lol. 😆. I know the games have nothing to do with those, but that was a real fact that he was too obsessed with GTA.

Edited by Razor1911

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Because so many non-gamers are sheep, they'll believe almost anything politicians say even when the opposite has been proven to be fact.

It's not that they are sheep, but how much better it is to blame videogames than to admit to bad parenting? Even parents whose kids haven't done anything, it is a comforting thought that they can wash their hands of any responsibility in case the kid does something stupid.

3 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

I'd call that a lie to get out of punishment.

4 hours ago, Razor1911 said:

Assuming this story is even true, I noticed you haven't posted any articles about it, it's obvious this guy has some other psychological issues.  Millions of people play GTA and don't behave this way in real life.

Idiots have been trying to prove a direct link between violent media and violent behaviour for decades. It's been debunked every time because in every case there are other factors about thier lives which have much more direct psychological effects.  These people either can't or just won't accept the more complex, multi-layered reasons and would rather have a single simple scapegoat.  After the Columbine massacre, it wasn't these kids known psychological issues, pent up resentment or easy access to firearms, it was Marilyn Manson!  Just Marilyn Manson and the evil music that they listened too that made them do it.  It's fucking ridiculous!

I'd study what I'm intersted in and that's thigns that has to be dealt with regards "Fight Sims" learning the ways of how to fly and all affects that comes with it. Help and make improvements and have realism brought into it, hell have the right teachers also 😉 

1 hour ago, Crazycrab said:

Assuming this story is even true, I noticed you haven't posted any articles about it, it's obvious this guy has some other psychological issues.  Millions of people play GTA and don't behave this way in real life.

Idiots have been trying to prove a direct link between violent media and violent behaviour for decades. It's been debunked every time because in every case there are other factors about thier lives which have much more direct psychological effects.  These people either can't or just won't accept the more complex, multi-layered reasons and would rather have a single simple scapegoat.  After the Columbine massacre, it wasn't these kids known psychological issues, pent up resentment or easy access to firearms, it was Marilyn Manson!  Just Marilyn Manson and the evil music that they listened too that made them do it.  It's fucking ridiculous!

Yup, there might be other issues, and people don't really care for that. That columbine massacre that you have mentioned is a perfect example of that. The blame here should be given to the media houses, which broadcasts only one sided news. 

9 hours ago, m76 said:

It's not that they are sheep, but how much better it is to blame videogames than to admit to bad parenting? Even parents whose kids haven't done anything, it is a comforting thought that they can wash their hands of any responsibility in case the kid does something stupid.

Well you do have a valid point there as well. Most modern parents are absolutely clueless about the responsibility of parenting.

8 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I totally agree - it's such an easy way to abolish themselves of all responsibility for their actions and it is ridiculous.