Register Now
StaceyPowers

TLOU HBO show apparently very expensive

I had heard this is pretty much the most expensive TV series ever made. Not that I give a dumb, I just want it to be good. To be honest though, I really don't think it needed to be quite this costly to work unless there's something I don't know.

To be honest, I thought it'd be 50 - 100m max but I did know it wouldn't be cheap either. The show will have a majority of TLOU fans in the beginning but it'll have to be excellent to draw the attention of the average joe who doesn't necessarily care about the TLOU with so many good shows on rival platforms.

It's kinda hard to imagine why this show needs a budget like this.  The most expensive parts (I would think) are the exterior urban environments where they might need to lock off a few streets.  Though not cheap (especially in current circumstances) productions do this all the time.

Edited by Crazycrab

If this budget needs to be spent (and to be fair to the cast, it wasn't spent on them despite the faith I have in then), the I would like to to think it was spent on effects. Both practical and digital to really bring the infected to life. I really hope that the town of Calgary, Alberta in Canada (a city that is no stranger to being a film set) isn't pushing it's luck and succeeding to drill money out if this project.

In the end though, I just want this series to be good. TV audiences are used to successful adaptations from movies and books, so it's better for gamers if this adaptation is taken seriously.

Not that we won't call it out if it's shit. 

12 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

It's kinda hard to imagine why this show needs a budget like this.  The most expensive parts (I would think) are the exterior urban environments where they might need to lock off a few streets.  Though not cheap (especially in current circumstances) productions do this all the time.

You think there will be on location scenes in this? No way in hell, every environment will be done in post or virtual sets.

13 minutes ago, m76 said:

You think there will be on location scenes in this? No way in hell, every environment will be done in post or virtual sets.

That's what I would of thought, but what else could they be spending this kind of money on if it's not exterior sets?  It's not top dollar Hollywood actors, no elaborate contumes, there will certainly be some visual effects and makeup but no more than a typical Sci-Fi, there are sequences that will dozens but not HUNDREDS of extras and there are shows that have these things with far less.  So what is it?

Edited by Crazycrab

While I do enjoy what HBO does with their big budget productions (Band of Brothers and The Pacific were incredible), I'm more concerned about the idea of "as many as eight seasons" than their budget. It's going to be a gargantuan undertaking to spread the two games over half that many seasons, and even with original ideas thrown in (when they're already producing The Walking Dead) it's still going to turn out to be a slog.

HBO's net worth is $10bn, so I don't think they will spend as much money as Kenney claims they will. I'd say he's massively overvaluing both the TLoU brand, his creative ability and HBO's marketing but as the show doesn't exist yet, I've no room to talk right now. Here's hoping it isn't a waste.

On 8/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, Withywarlock said:

While I do enjoy what HBO does with their big budget productions (Band of Brothers and The Pacific were incredible), I'm more concerned about the idea of "as many as eight seasons" than their budget. It's going to be a gargantuan undertaking to spread the two games over half that many seasons, and even with original ideas thrown in (when they're already producing The Walking Dead) it's still going to turn out to be a slog.

HBO's net worth is $10bn, so I don't think they will spend as much money as Kenney claims they will. I'd say he's massively overvaluing both the TLoU brand, his creative ability and HBO's marketing but as the show doesn't exist yet, I've no room to talk right now. Here's hoping it isn't a waste.

I also want it to do well but if they're aiming for up to eight seasons, then I suspect some backstories of other characters may be thrown in or they'll go into more details in certain segments that might have been overlooked in the games. Just please for the love of all of us, I don't want them trying to make it kid-friendly - I want to be as gruesome and brutal as the TLOU is in-game.