Register Now
StaceyPowers

Tap vs. hold controls

Yeah it is a bit annoying especially if the treshold for hold is very short and you accidentally hold instead of press.

For example I've been just playing the Ascent and when you pick up items in it if you hold the button the item is automatically equipped. But ofc I didn't know this and was going crazy why does my character auto eqip every item I pick up, when it wasn't before.

How well integrated controls are is a challenge to every game. How well this is done isn't a mark on the control action, but how well integrated that action is used in the game itself. Console interfaces are more indigenously calibrated and set up, not to mention less customisable, than PC set ups, so I get what you're saying @StaceyPowers, but sometimes it's up to the gamer to get used to the controls, rather than the other way round. I do find PC set ups easier to use (for some games, but that's a whole other debate), but that's only because I have a programmable mouse and like to remove as much control away from the keyboard as possible. It takes time to sort it out, though, and it's a pin in the ass.

I'm not turning this into a rant, I'm just pointing out that a control option and a control interface have to work in tandem. There can't be a problem with one, there has to be a problem with both for it to not work. 

I'd say toggle is easy at times but comes down to what you are playing, right?

Holding crouch is a pain in the ass when not bound to shift, and even then it's already pushing the pinky. Even in PC games I use to toggle in dayZ rather then holding, can't hold and shoot at the same time when you are laying on the damn floor.

15 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Having just started playing PS4/PS5 games, I feel a deep loathing for the whole “tap vs. hold” control scheme. It just doubles the executive function challenges I deal with. Do you love or loathe these types of controls?

When it's very challenging to make use of in a particular game play is what makes it annoying to me. It should offer better gaming experience and not make it difficult for you. 

22 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I'm not a fan of the tap/hold control scheme but I can adapt to it.

I mean, I have but I still slip up pretty often. If anything, give me one of the older controls with a billion buttons, I probably wouldn't be making that mistake as much.

On 9/1/2021 at 3:09 AM, Crazycrab said:

I'm not a fan of the tap/hold control scheme but I can adapt to it.

When the controls are quite simple, it's definitely a lot more easy to adjust and catch up with it. It's the complex controls that are very frustrating. 

7 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

Sometimes in NBA Live '03, the triangle button will pass the ball.  Usually only x will let you pass, it's real weird.

Haha, and you were trying to do another skill with the triangle button that ended up giving you what the X button gives. It makes a mess of the whole thing. 

21 minutes ago, Family sedan said:

Yeah, I was trying all those times to jump for a rebound, which I still got anyway, but I also got an unintended pass.

You are just lucky that you got your way after all, if it had cost you the match, you'd be totally pissed about the functionality mess up.