Register Now
StaceyPowers

Is there a point at which remastering a game no longer makes sense?

Is there a point where remastering an old game is illogical, i.e. because graphics have evolved so much since then that it would just be pointless?

I don’t think there is ever a point where remastering doesn’t make sense, if you can at least create updated versions to run on new platforms.

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger's remaster on Steam is the epitome of how not to do a remaster. While the game is functional and with a higher resolution, its modernisation is precisely the problem. The things you put in front of visible walls to make them more convincing are of low quality, and you can see beyond them if you get to a high enough point, for instance. There's things you're not supposed to see at such a high resolution or distance, which you now can. Think of it as removing the fog in the first Silent Hill, previously there to stop the game cacking its duds performance wise. The Playstation 2 HD Edition did just that.

I'm firmly of the belief that remasters are better served for games that didn't see much attention that were popular. Tombi! for instance, or Tomba! for our US forumgoers, is a game that you won't see anyone say anything bad about. The problem is more people know it by its demo than the game proper, because it was self-published by developer Whoopee Camp and thus they would've faced difficulties distributing it. What I'd give for a remaster of that, or even just a full re-release if anyone's got the rights to that property.

Finally, I think remasters for games that were clearly good had it not been for technical issues are the most deserving. Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly's developers knew what they were doing, they achieved the closest semblence to a Spyro game since Insomniac handed over the reigns to publisher Universal Interactive Studios, so they could developer Ratchet & Clank (or 'Ratshit & Clunk' as my dad calls them), and that's rather impressive considering they didn't need to devote 20 years of their lives to the intricacies on how to do it. But due to the strict time limit they had to make the game (8 months for two consoles), paycheques being missed and lack of publisher communication, the game ended up suffering dire loading times (in an old review of mine I encountered a loading screen for a loading screen), poor framerate and the odd crash.

Edited by Withywarlock

I think when it comes to a bad story or gameplay that has poor reviews, or if the game just isn’t really relevant anymore and the fans have jumped ship to another series or the newest game and don’t want to play the game again years later. 

If a new console version didn't come out every 6 or 7 years we wouldn't have this problem. But I think that is a problem of the past/present because now ps4 games are compatible on ps5. I don't know if the same is true for Xbox and what they do for PC. But after this point of compatibility being the new thing, then we should see very few remasters unless of course it is games from the ps2-ps3 years. There should be any reason for remasters from here on out. Keep making the discs compatible for the ps6 and ps7. Maybe they will reach a point where newer technology simply will not accept that compatibility and go through a series of remasters again. As far as Skyrim, I bought the damn remaster on the ps4 and then a new remaster comes out on the same console. That's some cow honkey. 

3 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

If a new console version didn't come out every 6 or 7 years we wouldn't have this problem. But I think that is a problem of the past/present because now ps4 games are compatible on ps5. I don't know if the same is true for Xbox and what they do for PC. But after this point of compatibility being the new thing, then we should see very few remasters unless of course it is games from the ps2-ps3 years. There should be any reason for remasters from here on out. Keep making the discs compatible for the ps6 and ps7. Maybe they will reach a point where newer technology simply will not accept that compatibility and go through a series of remasters again. As far as Skyrim, I bought the damn remaster on the ps4 and then a new remaster comes out on the same console. That's some cow honkey. 

Some developers like Konami are greedy and remove the compatibility for certain games so that they don't work on the PS5 and the only option you have is to buy the PS5 version again.

44 minutes ago, Head_Hunter said:

Hmm, that's very greedy indeed for Konami doing such a thing it shows they are simply more of the money and not what players love to see. 

EA sports, Ubisoft and now Konami, seems like every big company is now getting into the money business only. I do agree that from the last few years, the updates of FIFA and PES is pathetic.

14 minutes ago, Razor1911 said:

EA sports, Ubisoft and now Konami, seems like every big company is now getting into the money business only. I do agree that from the last few years, the updates of FIFA and PES is pathetic.

They've entered into money league indeed, where they've concentrated only to make money. 

Their updates have been repetitive indeed no difference from the older edition. 

13 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Some developers like Konami are greedy and remove the compatibility for certain games so that they don't work on the PS5 and the only option you have is to buy the PS5 version again.

They should make any new game that comes out mandatory compatible or not get released. There is absolutely no reason to go against it except obvious money purposes and they can go stick their heads in a pile of doodoo if they don't like it. Greedy bastards need to start getting smacked around. Rise up rise up and smack them greedy bastards! Smack em all real good.