Register Now
StaceyPowers

Do hints break your immersion or fun in any way?

I think a lot of games are hesitant to provide optional hints (often providing none) because devs are likely concerned about spoiling fun or breaking immersion.

As a gamer, do you feel optional hints disrupt your experiences in these or other ways? Or do you generally appreciate them? What is the least disruptive way to present them?

Some games are too aggressive with hints. If you are taking your time or try to explore they start to bombard you with hints.

I think unsolicited hints are bad 9 out of 10 times. A few games were made like you could manually ask for a hint when stuck. I think that is the best way.

22 hours ago, m76 said:

Some games are too aggressive with hints. If you are taking your time or try to explore they start to bombard you with hints.

I think unsolicited hints are bad 9 out of 10 times. A few games were made like you could manually ask for a hint when stuck. I think that is the best way.

Too much of everything is bad. Whenever the hints gets too much like they believe I don't have a brain to think logically on how to complete a task, it feels like an insult in a way. 

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

I feel some of the time you need those hints and the guidance while you are in the game. For some games that is a necessity. 

Yes, it is very necessary for the hint, I've been around video game for long now. When I don't know much about a particular game the hints helps me as a guide to show me how to go about the game. 

5 hours ago, skyfire said:

I feel some of the time you need those hints and the guidance while you are in the game. For some games that is a necessity. 

If the game comes with a task that you can't be able to figure out on your own no matter what you do, then the hints can't be discarded. 

1 hour ago, Justin11 said:

I don't see hints breaking my immersion when it comes to playing and seeing them before the game starts or around the corners of the game, they are helpful to me. 

Yeah, there is no doubt that they are helpful especially when the tasks are too hard and demanding. 

25 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, there is no doubt that they are helpful especially when the tasks are too hard and demanding. 

You're there, we learn from the hint because you'll be notified how to go about it when you're playing a new game which you aren't familiarized with. 

33 minutes ago, Justin11 said:

You're there, we learn from the hint because you'll be notified how to go about it when you're playing a new game which you aren't familiarized with. 

Yeah, only when they don't get to make it so silly like it comes up every time without limit, then it's definitely going to be very annoying. 

33 minutes ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, only when they don't get to make it so silly like it comes up every time without limit, then it's definitely going to be very annoying. 

If they make it very much complicated that it interrupts my gaming I wouldn't ON it, I'll just switch it off, due to the act of blocking the screen for me.