Register Now
PGen98

Do You Think it's Right For People Who Pre-order or Have Connections to Get Early Access Time With Games?

Do you think that it's right for people who pre-order a game or who otherwise have connections in some way that allows them to get the game early and enjoy some exclusive early access time?  I know a lot of people who think this is a bad thing and unfairly gives some an advantage.  For me, I think it's perfectly fine, those people pre-ordered the game or they have connections to someone or something that gives them early access to the game, and that's fine.  They get a few extra days to play it before the general public, there's nothing really wrong with that, IMO.  It doesn't take long to catch up on a few days or early access to those who grind their way through games quickly, so it levels out easily enough.  Do you think it's fair or unfair?

I think it's fine; what I don't think is fine is a lot of the commentary that comes from it. See how Anthem went:

• "It's not day one yet,"
  • "it's not been out for a week yet,"
  • "it's not March yet, wait for Act 1,"
  • "it's not Act 2 yet,"

And so on until about May, at which point people had forgotten about the game, let alone the problems they went on the forums to have fixed. Alas, Anthem isn't the exception: this happens with every single game, however good it actually is, that allows some modicum of early access. While most people are genuinely fine with the game in its state and don't think it's a big deal (which isn't helpful to someone bringing up bugs and the like, but it is a forum all the same), there's a lot of users who will defend those problems frothing at the mouth, likely because they are far more emotionally invested in the game now they've financially invested in it.

I don't necessarily like preorder goodies as such, but early access is one of those that at least tempers expectations provided it's as real a look at the game as the developers and publishers can provide. If there's a refund window in that time, even better. I would still sooner wait for reviews, streams and let's play material to release after the official launch, no matter which official launch (again, see Anthem.)

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

To be honest, this early access and the pre order has created ecosystem of the scalpers. 

Seriously, it's what gave them the freedom to exploit the market and they are never letting go of the opportunity. 

In my almost 40 years on this planet, I have preordered one game. I won't say I had a bad experience, because I didn't. I only preordered because the edition I wanted had tons of exclusives only available in a preorder exclusive version of the game. The game was For Honor: Gold Edition. it was preorder only, and had so much extra to offer.

Just now, The Blackangel said:

In my almost 40 years on this planet, I have preordered one game. I won't say I had a bad experience, because I didn't. I only preordered because the edition I wanted had tons of exclusives only available in a preorder exclusive version of the game. The game was For Honor: Gold Edition. it was preorder only, and had so much extra to offer.

At least, for now you're the only one who got the better of a pre order with the game and the most important thing is that it's worth it right? 

18 hours ago, Boblee said:

At least, for now you're the only one who got the better of a pre order with the game and the most important thing is that it's worth it right? 

It was worth it to me. I've had no regrets and the bonuses are great.

18 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Provided the pre-order went successfully and you received the copy of the game you pre-ordered then it's beneficial at the end. 

I got exactly what I ordered, on time, and it all went smooth as silk.

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

That's what that matters. Hopefully, my friend who's looking at pre ordering Call of Duty Vanguard would get the same feeling and satisfaction. 

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Which is the beauty of pre-ordering. I am not against it when it arrives at last to the one who ordered. I'm worried due to fraudulent scalpers who never delivered the game to the buyer after pre-ordering.