Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes for a good or bad minimap?

Bad minimaps make things look further away than they are, or closer than they are. Which in turn makes it difficult to gauge your time needed to get to your intended location, and the obstacles you will encounter on the way. Enemies and dangerous animals for example.

I can’t count the number of times I’ve been ambushed by enemy gangs and wannabe road bandits as well as fucking cougars in RDR2.

Edited by The Blackangel

Customisation is a huge deal when it comes to minimaps for me. If I can zoom in or out, move them, have them remain static or rotate, and enlarge/shrink, or even reshape them (a square minimap is measurably more functional), that can make using what is becoming increasingly a necessity in games that feature them all the better. I say increasing necessity; quest help has been replaced with quest markers, and in multiplayer games pinging is developing at a rapid rate.

Another thing which is more of a UI pet peeve than anything is having information in a place I don't need it. One thing I've really appreciated about The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is all necessary information out of menus (which themselves are a faff, I grant you) is in the bottom left corner, including the compass. The map and all other information does not need to be exiled as far away as possible from other UI elements. Be it RPGs, MMOs, kart racers of all genres, such horrendous design features far too often and I don't get how it doesn't get pointed out. At the very least provide an option for those who want a cleaner UI (thank you Final Fantasy XIV).

7 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

So, this continues from RDR to RDR2 =D

Yeah but the biggest issue with them is that it’s all but impossible to get them off you once they pounce. You might get lucky on a rare occasion and be able to throw the bastard off, but you would have better luck killing the entire O’Driscoll gang with a single bullet. If you’re going after cougars make damn sure you save in the area when you get there, so that when it kills you, you can just reload from your save point so that you don’t lose anything. But in my opinion, the only reason to go after them is to get the hide that is required for the Legend Of The East satchel. The damn thing is almost a requirement for the game despite being entirely optional.

I really liked the magic map from Far Cry 2. It feels like a good compromise between the convenience of a mini-map, with the immersion of not having one. Putting the map away in combat makes perfect sense. You also still get that feeling of exploration because its more like a paper map than a weird abstraction of every one's exact position.