Register Now
StormyFire

Can anybody be an esports player?

Sure, anyone could be, but it's easier said than done. I imagine most esports players practice for well over 10 hours a day, if not more. I like to think I'm skilled at some games, but even going up against the pros I wouldn't have much of a chance. If anything I'd lose fairly fast if I tried. 

But yeah, it's possible with dedication and practice that you can become an esports player. I wish I could play like that, because if I could, I'd give a tournament a try. Actually, I think I'd still try even with how bad I am. 😄 

Being a serious Esport player is not easy; you need to spend a good amount of hours per day, and being consistent. But yeah, I suppose that if you have that motivation, everybody can at least give it a try.

To be a proficient eSports player, the best analogy I can think of is that you would have to have multiple Ph.D's in the game you're wanting to compete in. That's not something that can be easily accomplished. You would have to know every single tiny little thing about the game in question, and master every single one of those tiny little things. Nothing could be overlooked or taken for granted. Gaming in eSports competitions is the top level any gamer could achieve. I personally don't have the drive or dedication to reach that level. Not to mention that the games are largely multiplayer, typically through a LAN. But it's still online gaming, which is something I flat out do not enjoy.

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

To be a proficient eSports player, the best analogy I can think of is that you would have to have multiple Ph.D's in the game you're wanting to compete in. That's not something that can be easily accomplished. You would have to know every single tiny little thing about the game in question, and master every single one of those tiny little things. Nothing could be overlooked or taken for granted. Gaming in eSports competitions is the top level any gamer could achieve. I personally don't have the drive or dedication to reach that level. Not to mention that the games are largely multiplayer, typically through a LAN. But it's still online gaming, which is something I flat out do not enjoy.

That's a fair assessment. I feel as if most esports players focus much of their life on the games they are good at. If anyone wants to be a pro gamer and join esports, they need to probably also practice daily. I don't think I could practice daily, especially the same game over and over. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's a fair assessment. I feel as if most esports players focus much of their life on the games they are good at. If anyone wants to be a pro gamer and join esports, they need to probably also practice daily. I don't think I could practice daily, especially the same game over and over. 

They would have t focus most of their lives on their chosen game. For example, they wouldn't be able to go from competing in a Call Of Duty tournament to playing My Little Pony on Game Boy. They have to stick with CoD. Sure they can play other games to try to avoid a burn out. But their profession would keep them there every day. And I definitely agree that I couldn't do it every day. As I've said hundreds of times, RDR2 is one of my favorite games, but I can't hit it every day. I have to start jonesing and need a fix before I boot the game up again. It's like back when I was an addict. I needed a fix multiple times daily.

An off topic request:
People, please don't do drugs. Marijuana is fine for medicinal purposes, but leave it there.

On 12/20/2021 at 3:30 PM, The Blackangel said:

That is a great analogy. It takes time and dedicate to become an e-sports player. 
Its is not enough to simply play the game you need to study all of the nuances of the game. 
---
I don't have the dedication or drive to become an e-sports player. enough to 

Edited by Altair

Of course! Anybody can be an esports (link removed) player! Question is, which field do you want to be great at? My best tip here would be to practise, practice, and practice! There's no better way to become an esports pro than to put in the effort every day. Gaming might be a fun pastime, but if you want to make a job from it, you'll have to put in the effort. To climb the rankings and finally be spotted by an esports squad, practise your aim and game sense. Practice makes perfect, as the saying goes. So don't be frightened to put forth a strong effort!

Edited by Shagger

Depends. They’re probably putting in a decent amount of time as an amateur, at least 4-6 hours of quality gameplay a day, plus time to learn, review mistakes, research strategies, etc. Then once players are picked up by a team, they can not only spend hours in scrims, but have around 8 hour days of just playing the game for ‘practice’ on the job, then be ‘home’ at the gaming house, where they can stream or play more. It’s a lot of time

Working to be an eSports player would take up your life, just like any job. You would have to spend your day gaming, until you burn out on the game, and then keep playing it. Like I said earlier:

You would have to know every single tiny little thing about the game in question, and master every single one of those tiny little things. Nothing could be overlooked or taken for granted.

You can't just quit and not go back to it a couple days later. You have to be playing at a level that no one you know, no matter how good they are, can beat you. A good idea would be to enter in local tournaments. Fight the best in your area. You would most likely find tournaments in games like COD and SSB. Games like that are the most popular among eSports tournaments. If you're playing at home in a solo mode, you have to set the difficulty at the absolute highest it can possibly go. You can't take it easy, because your opponents won't take it easy on you. If you're a n00b to the game, then sure take it on easy mode until you know the controls and the mechanics of the game to the point that you can play without thinking about what buttons to press and how to handle a situation. Then boost it to the hardest level the game offers.

For example, while it's not an eSport option, I recently got into playing Sudoku. I learned it on easy mode, but that got too easy within about 2 weeks. Medium mode got too easy within about 1 week of moving up. I only played one game on hard because it was too easy. So within a month I'm now playing it on expert mode. Once that gets too easy I'll move up to extreme then 16x16 mode. I love the game, and I'm pretty damn good at it.

So game, game, game. You'll master it, then apply to a team and game with them so they can see how good you are and decide if you would be a good fit/match to their team.

Good luck to anyone with aspirations of being an eSports gamer.