Register Now
Kane99

Should all games have cloud saving as a backup?

Cloud saves are so helpful, but recently I had some trouble getting NBA 2K21 to work proper. The issue I had, was that my save file became corrupt somehow and flat out dissapeared. I was unable to load my save file and my career mode. I contacted epic as it shows my game had cloud saves set to on, so I thought maybe they'd be able to port the save to me. Nope. So I contact 2K and they too are no help. 

So, I think all games should include cloud saves going forward, and if any files are corrupt on the main drive, it should revert to the cloud backup. I think every online game should have this, especially if you need online to play the game in the first place. 

But yeah, the NBA 2K thing was annoying, because when I see cloud saves, I should be able to recover my saves from the cloud. But I guess Epic or 2K doesn't have a good save system afterall. 

I don't really care if they do. I never needed them. It actually caused me trouble a few times when it has overwritten my newer local save with an older one from the cloud.

Or worse caused me to loose all progress in one game, because I started playing it on another launcher when it was free but the saves were not on my computer, so I could not transfer them to the steam version of the game, costing me about 15 hours of progress.

19 hours ago, m76 said:

I don't really care if they do. I never needed them. It actually caused me trouble a few times when it has overwritten my newer local save with an older one from the cloud.

Or worse caused me to loose all progress in one game, because I started playing it on another launcher when it was free but the saves were not on my computer, so I could not transfer them to the steam version of the game, costing me about 15 hours of progress.

Yeah, that isn't fun. Which is why I like cloud backups. It just copies the last valid save and keeps that on the cloud for you. Backups shouldn't overwrite saves unless you load it over it. But yeah, any cloud saves that overwrite your manual save is a no go for me. 

Much as I would like the option to be ever present, I don't necessarily want everything going to the cloud because of how much energy it consumes. It's better than a lot of solutions, don't get me wrong, but until things improve with cloud computing I don't want it to be used on something as trivial as video games. This is part of the wider discussion to be had about the Internet of Things (IoT), and the core tenet of the opposition: unless something absolutely requires the internet to function or be stored, it should not be connected to the IoT.

2 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Much as I would like the option to be ever present, I don't necessarily want everything going to the cloud because of how much energy it consumes. It's better than a lot of solutions, don't get me wrong, but until things improve with cloud computing I don't want it to be used on something as trivial as video games. This is part of the wider discussion to be had about the Internet of Things (IoT), and the core tenet of the opposition: unless something absolutely requires the internet to function or be stored, it should not be connected to the IoT.

You do have a point here on how it's going to stress the hell out of gamers in every way possible and for those that have internet challenges, it's going to affect the use of cloud storage. 

13 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

That is a good point. I never thought about how cloud computing is a energy hog. How bad is it? I know that having tons of servers and such, can cause a lot of problems with the environment. idk if that's true, but that's what I heard. 

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That is a good point. I never thought about how cloud computing is a energy hog. How bad is it? I know that having tons of servers and such, can cause a lot of problems with the environment. idk if that's true, but that's what I heard. 

It was months ago when I read about it in Private Eye magazine so I'm not entirely sure, but it's honestly nowhere near as clean as the marketing says it is. I'm seeing conflicting figures, but they seem to be rising rapidly: 1.5% of global electricity consumed here, 7% there, and Greenpeace estimates it will go up to 20% of global electricity consumption by 2025. While this might be considered scaremongering, and it's a reasonable guess to make, there's undeniably a need to make improvements soon.

On 12/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, m76 said:

If I had lost 15 hours of game's progress as a result of this kind of upgrade, it's definitely going to have me pissed for a long period of time. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

If I had lost 15 hours of game's progress as a result of this kind of upgrade, it's definitely going to have me pissed for a long period of time. 

Some gamers have lost more than 70 hours of serious hard gameplay and they still get back to playing the game all over again. It's all about your commitment to the game. 

Most games are clouded saved backup. All games on epic does both 🙂 cloud and also local saves, depending on the game that you play. I say yes for cloud backup 🙂 then again it comes down to you being online for the saves to work. If your PC goes on a poop street you will lose everything, 20 years of hard work playing rh game foe nohing and save files onto the cloud helps a big deal.

But I rather have local saved backup so that I can edit my saves profile and on that note you can make your own backup

30 minutes ago, Empire said:

Most games are clouded saved backup. All games on epic does both 🙂 cloud and also local saves, depending on the game that you play. I say yes for cloud backup 🙂 then again it comes down to you being online for the saves to work. If your PC goes on a poop street you will lose everything, 20 years of hard work playing rh game foe nohing and save files onto the cloud helps a big deal.

But I rather have local saved backup so that I can edit my saves profile and on that note you can make your own backup

My brother makes use of his external hard drive most of the time to backup all his files and it pretty much works for him. 

On 12/19/2021 at 7:37 AM, Withywarlock said:

It was months ago when I read about it in Private Eye magazine so I'm not entirely sure, but it's honestly nowhere near as clean as the marketing says it is. I'm seeing conflicting figures, but they seem to be rising rapidly: 1.5% of global electricity consumed here, 7% there, and Greenpeace estimates it will go up to 20% of global electricity consumption by 2025. While this might be considered scaremongering, and it's a reasonable guess to make, there's undeniably a need to make improvements soon.

I believe it. We're leaving a major environmental footprint with tech in the world. And if we continue to have places with tons of servers, that's going to run up electricity like crazy. Servers are also known to put out a ton of heat, so who knows exactly how it's affecting the world as a whole. 

But yeah, I get it's not good. Hopefully they can figure out an alternative that wouldn't hurt the planet.