Register Now
StaceyPowers

Bad game design vs. subjectively unintuitive game design

If you don't like a game, it could be both. There could be something of bad design that you couldn't quite put your finger on, at the same time subjectively just didn't like the character or story, or some other aspect. Or it could be bad game design that created frustration, so you blame something else that you wouldn't have hated naturally. For me, I probably subjectively hate a game first because I'm ignorant to exactly what bad game design is. I can't recall a really bad design. Except maybe Bloodborne and similar games that are challenging on purpose, which to me takes my interest out of it. So maybe that is only subjective on my part too since it is their intention to make it difficult, so I can't blame design. 

I don't know how to answer this, but I'll say this. Game design is going to differ for every game that releases. You'll get good design for most, but some games come out with poor design. Some can't help it and don't know how to make a better control scheme or something like that. 

But yeah, idk. I think most studios want to make the best games they can make, but due dates and other rules can change the way something is made. 

On 2/16/2022 at 2:46 AM, NightmareFarm said:

There is no such thing as objective bad design imo. Things that are considered conventionally bad game design can be enjoyed by a lot of people and vice versa. 

There are some weird gamers who simply like even likes playing conventionally bad game design. I think it's more of the gameplay that matters to them. 

49 minutes ago, Boblee said:

There are some weird gamers who simply like even likes playing conventionally bad game design. I think it's more of the gameplay that matters to them. 

But there are games with conventionally bad design that lots of people enjoy playing. Same applies to movies hence why there called "junk" or "guilty pleasure" movies. Same applies to various other art forms. Which is why I don't believe in objective standards for art forms, each person has their own tastes.

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

What matters to me that much is how enjoyable the game presented itself and not the design most of the time. 

The design is part of my favourite features with video games. What entices me first time it's simply the wonderful designs of the video game. I wouldn't play in a background that is not ground breaking, it must worth it. 

On 2/17/2022 at 12:19 PM, Heatman said:

What matters to me that much is how enjoyable the game presented itself and not the design most of the time. 

Yeah, that basically sorts it for me and most likely for other gamers too. It's the only thing they look out for and see it count for them. 

On 2/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, Kane99 said:

Also, I think as long as the experience is smooth and I don't deal with a lot of lag, I don't care how the map looks or is laid out. I just want a smooth gameplay experience. And some games don't do that well. 

Seriously, games that have a smooth gameplay doesn't ache the gamers too much when it's being played even with poor graphics.