Register Now
StaceyPowers

Laziest shortcuts and decisions developers have ever made?

To me the most annoying shortcut that many developers take is making a character creator where you can only choose between a few presets and not actually create a custom character.

Another one is hard coding buttons and keys and not allowing the player to redefine the inputs.

But the checkpoint based save system is in of itself a shortcut compared to a regular on demand save system.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:10 AM, m76 said:

To me the most annoying shortcut that many developers take is making a character creator where you can only choose between a few presets and not actually create a custom character.

Another one is hard coding buttons and keys and not allowing the player to redefine the inputs.

If they allow me more option to tweak my characters customization, it wouldn't be a big problem at all because I can create my character as I see fit. 

Here's a pretty funny but lazy implementation of a train - https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/heres-whats-happening-inside-fallout-3s-metro-train/

In Fallout 3, there is a train that has not even been developed as a proper train system. It's just an accessory of a NPC who apparently runs around which makes it look like the train is actually functioning properly.

On 12/29/2021 at 6:01 PM, Heatman said:

With what Ubisoft did when making Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag shows how lazy they have become with the game as it's a direct copy from their previous iteration. 

That's kinda expected with yearly releaes like that. They're going to reuse assets, animations etc. 

I'd say COD is worse, considering they do it all the time. I don't know how many "new engines" they used, but every game pretty much looks the same in terms of graphics, assets, gameplay, etc. 

On 12/29/2021 at 6:10 PM, m76 said:

But the checkpoint based save system is in of itself a shortcut compared to a regular on demand save system.

I would love to have more customization options. I wish games allowe for creating out own character as close as we can get it.

11 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's kinda expected with yearly releaes like that. They're going to reuse assets, animations etc. 

I'd say COD is worse, considering they do it all the time. I don't know how many "new engines" they used, but every game pretty much looks the same in terms of graphics, assets, gameplay, etc. 

I would love to have more customization options. I wish games allowe for creating out own character as close as we can get it.

Yeah, that's the case with the lot of them now. They are not really prepared to make any effort in changing to what's expected of them. 

19 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I would love to have more customization options. I wish games allowed for creating out own character as close as we can get it.

Characters customization is really a big thing for me when it comes to what I do fancy the developers make available for me in games because they can never build any character to my taste. 

1 hour ago, Boblee said:

Characters customization is really a big thing for me when it comes to what I do fancy the developers make available for me in games because they can never build any character to my taste. 

It's always going to be very difficult for gamers to have their perfect characters made which is why characters customization is very important. 

16 hours ago, Heatman said:

Yeah, that's the case with the lot of them now. They are not really prepared to make any effort in changing to what's expected of them. 

It's because they are lazy and do the bare minimum in terms of character creation. 

7 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's always going to be very difficult for gamers to have their perfect characters made which is why characters customization is very important. 

I think it's needed when it comes to online multi-player games. Especially when it's a massive online game. I want to be able to make a unique character that is close to what I look like. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

It's because they are lazy and do the bare minimum in terms of character creation. 

I think it's needed when it comes to online multi-player games. Especially when it's a massive online game. I want to be able to make a unique character that is close to what I look like. 

It's really frustrating to see developers become so lacky the way they are. These guys are supposed to super in making games worthwhile to the gamers. 

14 hours ago, Heatman said:

It's really frustrating to see developers become so lacky the way they are. These guys are supposed to super in making games worthwhile to the gamers. 

It's actually only the money they are going to make from the games that they are willing to go to any extent to make use of all in game strategy to get it. 

8 hours ago, Boblee said:

It's actually only the money they are going to make from the games that they are willing to go to any extent to make use of all in game strategy to get it. 

Exactly, when it comes to the making money part, they are never lazy in that part because it's what they live for.