Jump to content
Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games might relieve depression in older adults

Recommended Posts

On 4/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, The Blackangel said:

I'm going to step in. Everyone needs to drop this fight over RDR2. To clarify:

As far as consoles go, Red Dead Redemption was released on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Red Dead Redemption 2 was released on the PS4 and Xbox One. RDR2 is also available on PC. RDR1 is not available on PC as far as I can tell.

So there you have it. Drop the bullshit. Get back on topic and stay on topic.

Well you can play RDR1 on PC using an emulator but that's a technicality...I was just making you aware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, killamch89 said:

Well you can play RDR1 on PC using an emulator but that's a technicality...I was just making you aware.

I didn't count emulators for a reason. They were arguing about the platform it was released on.

I also said to drop the discussion of Red Dead Redemption and get back on topic. I suggest you do just that.

Edited by The Blackangel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2022 at 2:46 PM, Heatman said:

I came across a scientific research report on Sky News about a program called Thymia that's been used to diagnose and treat depression. 

https://news.sky.com/story/video-games-that-diagnose-monitor-and-treat-depression-developed-by-scientists-12521681

Some games in VR actually ask if it’s ok to monitor your voice reactions. To me it’s kinda creepy for games to monitor you. If Thymia is used to detect depression then it can also be used for a million different things. Knowing you are being monitored can affect results of reactions as well as affect immersion lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Some games in VR actually ask if it’s ok to monitor your voice reactions. To me it’s kinda creepy for games to monitor you. If Thymia is used to detect depression then it can also be used for a million different things. Knowing you are being monitored can affect results of reactions as well as affect immersion lol. 

You have a good point about what Thymia can be used or not used for. What's the big thing for gamers to know is the full capability of Thymia. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Some games in VR actually ask if it’s ok to monitor your voice reactions. To me it’s kinda creepy for games to monitor you. If Thymia is used to detect depression then it can also be used for a million different things. Knowing you are being monitored can affect results of reactions as well as affect immersion lol. 

I don't feel comfortable with how that technology can be used. If it's wired to do stuffs we don't anticipate it to do. It might make matters worst. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The truth of the matter is that there will always be challenges as well as ups and down in using Thymia but once it's perfected, it will be a major breakthrough. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't even know depression in kids and older folks which one is more on the increase right now? I don't know if it's more critical for kids or adults who are depressed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depression isn't "on the increase" per se. It may seem that way, but it's an underlying issue that is often diagnosed later in life. Often too late as many who suffer from it take their own life. I know I have tried more times than I care to admit in more ways than I can count. Depression is a curse that many suffer from. It's not just being sad. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, and also affected by our general outlook on life. I'm on several medications for it (among other things) and they're slowly starting to lose effectiveness. I see my psychiatrist next week (today is 5-6-2022 for reference) so I'm hoping she can do something. Antipsychotics and antidepressants have an effect, but you can build up a tolerance after a long enough time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was a kid, I wouldn't even tell if i e we fell depressed over issues. Video games have always been my life, play from morning to night, during the holidays. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Depression isn't "on the increase" per se. It may seem that way, but it's an underlying issue that is often diagnosed later in life. Often too late as many who suffer from it take their own life. I know I have tried more times than I care to admit in more ways than I can count. Depression is a curse that many suffer from. It's not just being sad. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, and also affected by our general outlook on life. I'm on several medications for it (among other things) and they're slowly starting to lose effectiveness. I see my psychiatrist next week (today is 5-6-2022 for reference) so I'm hoping she can do something. Antipsychotics and antidepressants have an effect, but you can build up a tolerance after a long enough time.

This is why I fume so much whenever I get to see anyone who's not taking depression seriously because they don't know the pain those who suffer from it are passing through on daily basis. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boblee said:

This is why I fume so much whenever I get to see anyone who's not taking depression seriously because they don't know the pain those who suffer from it are passing through on daily basis. 

All too often, my depression hits and all I can do is lay in bed and cry. I feel like dying. I start to go for one of my jars of cyanide, or potassium chloride, and just guzzling it.

Those who don’t suffer from depression have no idea just how hard the struggle to resist CTB is. To just let go. I wake up staring Death in the face every morning. And you know what? He ain’t half bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's that constant feeling of wanting to end one's life that makes it very difficult for those that are depressed not to desire living anymore. If that can be fixed up in way, it's going to ultimately solve most depression problems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It definitely can. I think it definitely helps relieve depression in people of all ages, to be fair but it definitely can be useful for older adults, especially ones that might be living by themselves. Playing games, experiencing a new world, and just achieving things in-game can help boost your mood massively

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...