Register Now
StaceyPowers

What technical improvements can increase atmosphere and immersion in a game?

Since I switched from playing the PS3 version of Skyrim to the free PS5 upgrade of my PS4 edition, I’ve been surprised at how much more immersive and atmospheric it feels. As far as I can tell, this is partly from my mods, but also partly just from the better frame rate and a slightly wider field of view. What technical changes have you noticed can increase immersion in different versions of a game?

In my own point of view, their is no real changes at the moment with the options of games I'm playing. I am still playing on my old OLed plasma TV which is 42' for over 12 months today. If I have the funds I'll like buy new and bigger one to enjoy games on a wider screen. 

Honestly not sure. I think a lot can be done to make games more advanced and give us a lot more, but I don't know what else we could do. We already have VR, devices to make us feel like we're in VR (kinda) and more. Soon enough, we'll have VR rooms we can sit in and experience a VR world. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:51 AM, Kane99 said:

Soon enough, we'll have VR rooms we can sit in and experience a VR world. 

I'm actually looking forward to that being realized and as soon as possible but they should make sure it's done right with no side effects to our brains. 

For the greatest immersion, games should do any with 90% of collecting items. That way you can focus on other things and not go into a room and run in circles looking for items to pick up. It's just an annoying distraction, especially in horror games where you are supposed to focus on suspense building. I don't know how many times I catch the shit end of something spooky because I was looking for loot. Also having good AI throughout is definitely a huge factor in immersion. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:51 AM, Kane99 said:

Honestly not sure. I think a lot can be done to make games more advanced and give us a lot more, but I don't know what else we could do. We already have VR, devices to make us feel like we're in VR (kinda) and more. Soon enough, we'll have VR rooms we can sit in and experience a VR world. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to having this all worked out for us gamers to enjoy when it's perfected. More tech advancement is the answer to this question. 

On 2/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Since I switched from playing the PS3 version of Skyrim to the free PS5 upgrade of my PS4 edition, I’ve been surprised at how much more immersive and atmospheric it feels. As far as I can tell, this is partly from my mods, but also partly just from the better frame rate and a slightly wider field of view. What technical changes have you noticed can increase immersion in different versions of a game?

The higher frame rate in Playstation 5 will always be a clear cut example of how it affects game's immersion. It's why PS5 gamers are so freaked about the console. 

On 3/31/2022 at 9:05 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I don't know how many times I catch the shit end of something spooky because I was looking for loot. Also having good AI throughout is definitely a huge factor in immersion. 

Haha, that's very funny and it's just a cue that you shouldn't go through all dark tunnel with light at the end of it, it may hell fire 🔥 😂. I do agree with having a good AI, it's definitely going to very helpful. 

On 4/1/2022 at 10:17 AM, egghead said:

I play games in a budget gaming laptop, if I had better laptop, I would have better gaming experience.

Why not go for a PC instead of laptop? If the money is available, it's going to offer you a better gaming experience more than using a laptop. 

On 4/26/2022 at 8:42 AM, NightmareFarm said:

Adaptive triggers and haptic feedback. Especially when you're using guns. 

Adaptive triggers features is already made available in Playstation 5 now if I'm not mistaken. 

Edited by Boblee