Register Now
Jayson

What is your computer?

Please tell me what you can.  Is it a laptop or desktop?   How new is it?  Does it still run well?  Do you have anti-virus and anti-malware on it?  How much did you pay for it?  How much memory does it have?

Edited by Jayson

I've got 2 desktop Dells and a Asus gaming laptop. I use my 15 year old one to watch youtube crime shows. Only a 2 core ,2 Gb RAM, gt430 with 1 GB of VRAM.It has Linux mint on it and it works great.720 or 1080 p resolution and the only limit on that is my meh internet. My 7 year old gaming desktop has a i7 4770,16 GB RAM and an AMD RX 570 with 8GB VRAM. I don't get new games right away but Shadow of tomb raider looks awesome on my 55 inch tv I use for gaming. Hell, Rise of the tomb raider looks gorgeous.My nephew gave me his old gaming laptop too.It sits in the middle of the other two I have. I'm in the process of ditching windows so I have a few hard drives with both windows 10 and a few with linux mint on them.The laptop is 11 years old but it's more than adequate for general surfing and the 8 threads allow you to a bunch of other stuff at the same time if you want.It can play older games but I prefer to game on the Dell desktop.I only use Defender on Windows and anti virus isn't really needed in Linux mint.Defender has worked great for me many years.

Edited by Lamarr the strelok

Have many PC, one gaming desktop and couble of Laptops. 

• Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K @ 5.2GHz
  • GPU: Asus GTX Strix 1660TI
  • RAM: Corsair 32GB 3200Mhz Vengeance RGB
  • Case: Phanteks Pro M Tempered Glass
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO
  • SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500gb
  • SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
  • M.2: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
  • HDD: WD HDD 2x 1 TB + WD Blue 2 TB

The laptop I'm eyeing at the moment is gaming compatible, it offers better video game-play. Lenovo Ideapad 2 or 3, with 8GB RAM and 1TRB of storage drive, battery life is 7.5 hours. Which is the main qualities that attracted me going for the laptop. 

If you have a laptop with a i7 and a 3090,it will be cut down compared to the desktop version.Totally different SKU's.The  gpu/cpu has to be cut down some because of heat and fan noise. Generally speaking desktops have the most power even compared to the new consoles.Please understand I don't hate laptops but it's important to know the difference.But no desktops aren't outdated they're still king of the mountain so to speak.

3 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

Desktop looks outdated to me, but have numerous functions too, which a laptop lacks some. But at this time, I don't need a desktop I love my laptop. 

It is not easy to own a desktop at this stage when you can make use of laptops. Buying a desktop makes people look at you as being an oldie that doesn't know what's up.

On 3/22/2022 at 6:47 AM, Knight Barida said:

It is not easy to own a desktop at this stage when you can make use of laptops. Buying a desktop makes people look at you as being an oldie that doesn't know what's up.

And I really don't want to be that kind of oldie that doesn't know what's up. I rather dash on my hopes of getting any computer if a desktop is the only option available to me. 

4 hours ago, Head_Hunter said:

And I really don't want to be that kind of oldie that doesn't know what's up. I rather dash on my hopes of getting any computer if a desktop is the only option available to me. 

Great mindset! It's better to be in line with the latest trends in town as that is one way to feel belonged to what is happening around you.

I have an ASUS Gaming Laptop which is fairly new, I got this in around July to replace my desktop gaming PC that was struggling. 

These are the specs for it

General features:

Suitable for gaming.

Size H2.28, W35.9, D25.6cm.

Weight 2.3kg.

CPU, Memory and Operating System:

Intel Core i5 - 11400H processor.

Hex core processor.

2.7GHz processor speed with a burst speed of 4.5GHz.

16GB RAM DDR4.

1TB SSD storage.

Operating System: Windows 11 Home (Pre-Installed).

Display features:

15.6 inch screen.

Full HD Display.

Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Graphics:

NVIDIA RTX 30 Series GeForce RTX 3050 graphics card with 4GB RAM GDDR6.

Shared graphics card.

Dedicated graphics card.

Interfaces and connectivity:

4 USB 3.2 ports.

1 USB Type-C port.

Ethernet port Ethernet port// Ethernet ports.

Headphones jack.

Bluetooth.

Wi-Fi enabled.

Multimedia features:

HD webcam.

Built-in mic.

Backlit keyboard.

Built-in audio sound system.

30 day trial.

Microsoft 365 Personal.