Register Now
StaceyPowers

Games that are bleaker than they first appear

On 3/31/2022 at 3:46 PM, Heatman said:

I would name Stalker and Fallout 3 as game's that's bleak enough to the point where it gets totally horrific when you progress into the game. 

I concur with Fallout, though I find the first game to be the least hopeful. Every joke and pop culture reference is told by horrible people on a cracked, parched backdrop, and it's hard to tell whether one should laugh or cry.

On 3/29/2022 at 11:09 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What are some games that seem to have a light tone on the surface, but underneath are quite dark? The Outer Worlds, for instance, is humorous and fun, but it is also incredibly bleak. And the longer you explore the world, the more horrifying you realize the situation is. 

The Outer Worlds and Resident Evil 4 are two games that adapted well in that aspect of being horrific when you go in deeper. 

Dark Souls. It's not post-apocalyptic, at least not in the traditional sense, but it certainly is bleak. There's not a strong story, but there's a pervading sense of melancholy to the NPCs and the world that I haven't found in many other games. It's also one of the best games of the last decade, which doesn't hurt.

8 hours ago, Empire said:

Dark Souls. It's not post-apocalyptic, at least not in the traditional sense, but it certainly is bleak. There's not a strong story, but there's a pervading sense of melancholy to the NPCs and the world that I haven't found in many other games. It's also one of the best games of the last decade, which doesn't hurt.

I think that FromSoftware Inc is particularly good when it comes to making such games. There is traces of that in Bloodborne. 

I've been on about Dragon Age a few posts lately, but I must say that the way Origins causes its misery and horror to bleed in is fascinating. At first it comes off as a Tolkeinesque, high-fantasy romp that takes quite a few sharp turns out of nowhere. Upon further analysis you find desperate politicking, sometimes justifiable - if at first glance unspeakable - acts, and no small amount of metamorphis body horror as time goes on. I'm oft reminded why I wouldn't have fun playing that as a tabletop; a Game Master isn't bound to the ESRB or whomever when writing their adventures and the monstrous consequences therein.

13 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

I'd say Spec Ops - it starts as a somewhat ruined place but it was still beautiful and relatively peaceful on the surface. But once you start really exploring the city, you realize what a dump it really is.

And you forget to add the horror massacre of innocent women and children using white phosphorus in the game. 

3 hours ago, Boblee said:

And you forget to add the horror massacre of innocent women and children using white phosphorus in the game. 

I seriously don't want to recall that at all and I'm happy that you didn't add the YouTube video of it here. It's why I had to stopped playing game. 

Games that are bleaker than they first appear....

I don't think there exists a more extreme example of something that seems innocent but is truly diabolical than with Doki Doki Literature Club.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1586800322

https://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

If you haven't played this before, I strongly recommend you go in as blind as possible.  It's not at all what it seems and your in for a VERY interesting experience. also, it's free (the PC version at least).

Edited by Crazycrab

5 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

Games that are bleaker than they first appear....

I don't think there exists a more extreme example of something that seems innocent but is truly diabolical than with Doki Doki Literature Club.

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1586800322

https://store.steampowered.com/app/698780/Doki_Doki_Literature_Club/

If you haven't played this before, I strongly recommend you go in as blind as possible.  It's not at all what it seems and your in for a VERY interesting experience. also, it's free (the PC version at least).

I haven't played the game as well. I have a thing for such female characters 🌚. I will be giving it a try, possibly before the year runs out.