Register Now
DC

File recovery programs/apps?

I haven't tried any of such programs on laptop but have actually tried a few of them on my smartphone when I mistakenly deleted my pictures, which all of them were just trash apps that didn't do shit. It all went and copied my already existing pictures and brought them up as recovered pictures. 

Dr. Fone - Data & Photo Recovery app is one good example of the app. Even the reviews on the app says the same. It doesn't work. 

XRecorder_Edited_02072022_214213.thumb.jpg.000fd30880ac041eb91fb3aa0ecd523a.jpg

In addition to what has been said, some software is better at working with different file systems, so we tend to swap and change depending on requirements. As an example ReclaiMe and Data Extractor (PC-3000) are the best at working with HFS and APFS. R-Studio and GetDataBack are very good with NTFS.

However the biggest hurdle is understanding both the software and the file system you are working with to get the most form the software.

Google have made things easier for us, and other companies too similar to Google. I use do many of Google's software to save and encrypt my files. Like 'Google Drive' for videos, Gmail for contacts and texts etc. 

Personally, I've used Recuva but that was years ago but there are a few others on the market such as:

• R-Studio
  • GetDataBack
  • ReclaiMe
  • UFS Explorer
  • DMDE
  • FileScavenger

And before you ask, no - they're not all free but have been recommended to me and I can find some evidence that they do work. FileScavenger and R-Studio in particular are the most recommended I've seen from acquaintances, tech Youtube channels and on tech Reddit posts.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:13 AM, Grungie said:

FBI tier shit.

The kind of tools available at the disposal of these guys are unbelievable. Whenever I see them use it in some of their movies, I know outrightly they wouldn't make such available in the open market easily. 

On 7/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, killamch89 said:

Personally, I've used Recuva but that was years ago but there are a few others on the market such as:

• R-Studio
  • GetDataBack
  • ReclaiMe
  • UFS Explorer
  • DMDE
  • FileScavenger

And before you ask, no - they're not all free but have been recommended to me and I can find some evidence that they do work. FileScavenger and R-Studio in particular are the most recommended I've seen from acquaintances, tech Youtube channels and on tech Reddit posts.

That's interesting to hear about about FileScavenger. I'd be looking into it and see how that works for me next time. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:55 AM, Heatman said:

That's interesting to hear about about FileScavenger. I'd be looking into it and see how that works for me next time. 

If I'm not mistaken, it's has a paid tier subscription and I heard it's very quick and effective.

On 7/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, killamch89 said:

• R-Studio
  • GetDataBack
  • ReclaiMe
  • UFS Explorer
  • DMDE
  • FileScavenger

I thought file recovery only worked for files in corrupted devices.

I actually accidentally deleted some files on my laptop and I couldn't get them back but I was glad I usually duplicated important files and have the duplicate on my hard drive.

I don't know if these ones you mentioned would work but I would give it try .

Normally PCs do keep accidentally deleted files on the recycle bin side, did you check for that, before concluding? If you know don't want to lose your priceless documents, you can scan and save on your Google account or any other account.