Jump to content
Register Now
DC

Windows 10 to be retired in 2025

Recommended Posts

I have held off on upgrading to Windows 11 ever since it came out but it seems like Microsoft have called it when we all get to jump ship over to Windows 11. Let me use the 3 remaining years to enjoy the time I have left for Windows 10 and be prepared to use Windows 11. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen it all, Microsoft gave the announcement on time. 2025 is next three years, those still on windows 10, have three years to do an upgrade to higher windows version and enjoy better speed, and functions in PC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

It's pretty much a bullshit move if you ask me, but they're due for this announcement. Personally I don't see myself "upgrading" to Win11 regardless of what they do.

The problem with using outdated operating systems is your chances of vulnerabilities on your computer will increase significantly as time goes on. You’ll be fine if it isn’t plugged into the internet, but if you do, it’ll be the equivalent of leaving your door wide open.

Your computer won’t explode immediately after the end date, but as time goes on, your computer won’t be getting much software support from other companies besides Microsoft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And when the supports comes to an end, their is nothing cool around the computer anymore. So, I'll suggest that, the users of windows 10 start planning ahead of sequel version to avoid the future limitations of their PC version. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three more years of being supported 🙂 still get updates and whatnot for it, but expect to see more support for windows 11. People have a choice to upgrade whenever they want. But when that year comes when WIndows 10 is no more, you have no choice. Then again after it has stopped people still can use it 🙂 just that you won't get security updates and whatnot. 

So many still use XP and 7 XD 

Anyway, I have been using WIndows 11 for months now. I updated about a month after being released. I used windows 10 since the very early does of beta in 2014. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now, we have just three years to see the back of windows 10 and also PS4 will be sidelined in 2025. I just wish to have plenty of funds then to avoid being left behind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2022 at 5:56 AM, Empire said:

Three more years of being supported 🙂 still get updates and whatnot for it, but expect to see more support for windows 11. People have a choice to upgrade whenever they want. But when that year comes when WIndows 10 is no more, you have no choice. Then again after it has stopped people still can use it 🙂 just that you won't get security updates and whatnot. 

So many still use XP and 7 XD 

Anyway, I have been using WIndows 11 for months now. I updated about a month after being released. I used windows 10 since the very early does of beta in 2014. 

Was just about to point this out. There are people still using Windows 7 and 8 so it's not that big of a deal. All this talk of your system being "more secure" when upgrade to Windows 11 is strictly all talk since it still can get hacked quite easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Was just about to point this out. There are people still using Windows 7 and 8 so it's not that big of a deal. All this talk of your system being "more secure" when upgrade to Windows 11 is strictly all talk since it still can get hacked quite easily.

It's really not all talk, and the excuse of "it's gonna get hacked anyway" is kind of a silly reasoning to not practice basic computer security. You won't get security updates, and your antivirus and other software won't get updates. So using an outdated OS connected to the internet is like a ticking time bomb. 

Your reasoning comes off like "I shouldn't lock my door because people can break into my house anyway".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Was just about to point this out. There are people still using Windows 7 and 8 so it's not that big of a deal. All this talk of your system being "more secure" when upgrade to Windows 11 is strictly all talk since it still can get hacked quite easily.

 

2 hours ago, Grungie said:

It's really not all talk, and the excuse of "it's gonna get hacked anyway" is kind of a silly reasoning to not practice basic computer security. You won't get security updates, and your antivirus and other software won't get updates. So using an outdated OS connected to the internet is like a ticking time bomb. 

Your reasoning comes off like "I shouldn't lock my door because people can break into my house anyway".

 

Why would a hacker with tools even remotely up to date enough to called a hacker want to steal the credit card info of somebody who in 2022 can only afford to own a device that runs Windows 7 anyway? It would be like a King stealing everything owed by a beggar. I'm willing to bet that Windows 7 is too old for most modern malware programmes to even be compatible.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Why would a hacker with tools even remotely up to date enough to called a hacker want to steal the credit card info of somebody who in 2022 can only afford to own a device that runs Windows 7 anyway? It would be like a King stealing everything owed by a beggar. I'm willing to bet that Windows 7 is to old for most modern malware programmes to even be compatible.

The owners are called boomers, and they don’t understand technology to update their computers, not because they’re broke. They’re easy targets for stuff like that. Businesses who can’t afford to update (or too lazy) their computers are also prime targets.

I have certs in this stuff, and is part of my job, so this is more common than you’re making it out to be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Grungie said:

The owners are called boomers, and they don’t understand technology to update their computers, not because they’re broke. They’re easy targets for stuff like that. Businesses who can’t afford to update (or too lazy) their computers are also prime targets.

I have certs in this stuff, and is part of my job, so this is more common than you’re making it out to be.

 

I have worked for multimillion dollar defence contractors that still use XP. It's not about the OS, it's about internal networks, the external hardware and software they do, indeed, buy as well as internal security procedures that keep thier shit safe. It's of little consequence what OS they actually use. What you say may be true with some companies run by morons, but companies who have any data worth protecting pay to protect it, they don't rely on an OS's standard protection.

 

I'm 37, so as a gamer that age I actually quite resent the term "boomer" anyway, but it doesn't actually make sense within your argument because a "boomer" is a person, but then immediately justify your stance on this from the perspective of a business, not some retro tech nerd having a midlife crisis. Why would you do that? Not to mention you're actually wrong. People when they get to a certain age gain an affinity for thier old furniture, but not thier fucking laptop. If you are a "boomer" with money, you will the latest shit whether you need it or not. It's for the same reason men with money my age buy spots cars.

 

I don't know who you work for or what credentials you have, but you do not know the real world like you think you do.

 

EDIT: Just to clear, even as a "boomer", I'm quite good with modern tech. Just saying.

Edited by Shagger
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Shagger said:

 

I have worked for multimillion dollar defence contractors that still use XP. It's not about the OS, it's about internal networks, the external hardware and software they do, indeed, buy as well as internal security procedures that keep thier shit safe. It's of little consequence what OS they actually use. What you say may be true with some companies run by morons, but companies who have any data worth protecting pay to protect it, they don't rely on an OS's standard protection.

 

I'm 37, so as a gamer that age I actually quite resent the term "boomer" anyway, but it doesn't actually make sense within your argument because a "boomer" is a person, but then immediately justify your stance on this from the perspective of a business, not some retro tech nerd having a midlife crisis. Why would you do that? Not to mention you're actually wrong. People when they get to a certain age gain an affinity for thier old furniture, but not thier fucking laptop. If you are a "boomer" with money, you will the latest shit whether you need it or not. It's for the same reason men with money my age buy spots cars.

 

I don't know who you work for or what credentials you have, but you do not know the real world like you think you do.

 

EDIT: Just to clear, even as a "boomer", I'm quite good with modern tech. Just saying.

I used the term boomer to refer to someone’s grandparent, or “older” parents that isn’t holding onto an old computer just because of an emotional attachment, but treat it like an appliance like a fridge or microwave under the pretense of “it still works, why do I need to replace it?”. I’m use the more “traditional” term of a boomer, and not the catch all internet meaning of “someone that’s older than me”.

To an extent, you are right with the companies who have data to protect pay to have stuff behind walls of security, the OS doesn’t matter after a certain point.

Where I work, we also have systems running on outdated OS’s, but the big difference is that those don’t connect to an outside network, and you need access to the inside of facility, so at that point, the threat is primarily through an insider threat.

Though at that point, the whole conversation is irrelevant. A closed network, or a standalone system is fine from some asshole on the internet. The same can be said about having a Windows 95 computer not connected to the internet. Someone has to physically get to the computer on question to do something, either intentionally, or unintentionally.

When it comes to something connected to the internet, the OS and lack of security and antivirus updates definitely come into play. Someone finding an exploit in a device that’s been unsupported for several years, you’re not gonna get a patch from Microsoft, Cisco, or Palo Alto.

In regards to a random person using an old computer using an outdated OS connected to the internet, you’re not going to get an up to date antivirus, you’re not getting security updates. You’d be lucky if reinstalling the OS fixes the problem.

Another thing to consider, is that most hackers are actually lazy. Why else are robo callers, and fishing attacks still a thing? It‘s low effort and low risk, and that 1% that fall for it is easier and less risky than trying to hack into something like a government computer. So someone using an outdated OS is an easy attack vector because there’s also a high chance that they don’t have much knowledge on safe practices.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...