Register Now
StaceyPowers

Would you work in a VR office?

Would you work in a VR office wearing a headset all day? Personally, I don’t get how this is a thing. I’d feel so (literally) weighted down by the headset and distracted by the layered environments that there’s no way I could concentrate on work. But I am curious if anyone here feels differently.

2 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Would you work in a VR office wearing a headset all day? Personally, I don’t get how this is a thing. I’d feel so (literally) weighted down by the headset and distracted by the layered environments that there’s no way I could concentrate on work. But I am curious if anyone here feels differently.

I think I would. I already work from home, so all I would need is a VR headset to be able to work in that way. I don't know if I could do a full days work in VR though. Since I never had time with a VR headset before, I don't know how long I can handle wearing one. It's not like you have to be in a virtual space to work though, as I work in a Discord server, so we just join a voice chat for meetings and such. VR would be cool, but I don't think it's something really needed. Especially with webcams being around. 

I love to try and wear them and play around with them as I never had a chance to do so 😉 However working in them ALllllllllllllllllllllll Day...?  NOPE

Just think the headache that I would get and the pain afterwords, I rather not thanks. You can get loppy and sick after awhile if you not going to take a break from it. I mean unless the paid is good. Still no for me. 

6 hours ago, Empire said:

I love to try and wear them and play around with them as I never had a chance to do so 😉 However working in them ALllllllllllllllllllllll Day...?  NOPE

Just think the headache that I would get and the pain afterwords, I rather not thanks. You can get loppy and sick after awhile if you not going to take a break from it. I mean unless the paid is good. Still no for me. 

Yeah I couldn't do it all day. Maybe a few hours. Most jobs tend to be the usual 9-5, so around 8 hours or so. Which I can see some people surviving in VR, but I can't see everyone doing 8 hours or more in one sitting. Of course you could probably take a break every couple hours, as I'm sure most jobs would give that to you anyway. 

I think it could be something we see more in the future. Especially with more and more people working from home. But like I said, a webcam and mic would probably work just as good for an office environment. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:49 AM, Empire said:

Agreed. Even I might rethink the situation if they come out with something that weighs next to nothing. But otherwise? No way, lol. 

If reasonable money is in, and I am lectured extensively about VR and how to use it's equipments, definitely I will embrace the job, since it is a life changing type of job. But if nothing changes with what I've seen myself at the moment around metaverse, then I wouldn't work around any VR company, I'm just too skeptical to use any metaverse equipments. 

I have been considering Working for a game company for a while now but I haven't had any opportunity made available.

If I am opportunity presents itself to work for a VR company and the pay is good I wouldnt mind that at all.

16 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Agreed. Even I might rethink the situation if they come out with something that weighs next to nothing. But otherwise? No way, lol. 

Just think what size room or office pace you need, I mean you be not sitting down, then again depends on what you are doing, playing cards games with your hands only 😉 

I haven't had the opportunity to use a VR headset myself at the moment but from what I hear from others it can be a bit too much to wear it for a long period of time and frequent breaks are necessary if you are going to use one. This leads me to agree that I wouldn't be able to wear one all day in an office, anyone who is able to do this without issue is built different for sure as I can only imagine how it would feel to wear one for a long period of time. Surely wearing it for very long periods wouldn't be good for you though? 

21 hours ago, Shortie said:

I haven't had the opportunity to use a VR headset myself at the moment but from what I hear from others it can be a bit too much to wear it for a long period of time and frequent breaks are necessary if you are going to use one. This leads me to agree that I wouldn't be able to wear one all day in an office, anyone who is able to do this without issue is built different for sure as I can only imagine how it would feel to wear one for a long period of time. Surely wearing it for very long periods wouldn't be good for you though? 

I think it depends on the person and how well they handle VR. I know it's suggested not to play in VR for long periods of time, but I've heard of people sleeping in VR. Now, I don't know how they handle that with a bulky ass vr headset on their head, but hey, if it works for them, cool. 

But, I think eventually I would get eye strain, maybe a sore neck, and face. 

On 12/15/2022 at 3:24 PM, Kane99 said:

I think it depends on the person and how well they handle VR. I know it's suggested not to play in VR for long periods of time, but I've heard of people sleeping in VR. Now, I don't know how they handle that with a bulky ass vr headset on their head, but hey, if it works for them, cool. 

But, I think eventually I would get eye strain, maybe a sore neck, and face. 

I agree - I mean most of us already work from home. What's the point of the virtual office when the headset is going to make you extremely uncomfortable over long periods of time. It's not really that beneficial at all.