Register Now
Nebulous

How old to start gaming?

On 8/26/2022 at 4:31 AM, Kane99 said:

A lot of parents do, but they're just old and don't know any better haha. 

I want to get my dad to try something like the newer Gran Turismo games. I kinda want to get him a racing setup, with a racing wheel and brakes, and maybe a gaming chair as well. I think he'd have a blast playing some of the popular racing games with a racing wheel. 

What if buying him all this things you mentioned and at the end your dad showed no interest in whatsoever related to racing game? Wouldn't it be a waste of money for you? 😂. But I wouldn't discourage you dude for what you want to get your dad into, it's a good means of bringing your dad having fun of his life. 

7 hours ago, Justin11 said:

What if buying him all this things you mentioned and at the end your dad showed no interest in whatsoever related to racing game? Wouldn't it be a waste of money for you? 😂. But I wouldn't discourage you dude for what you want to get your dad into, it's a good means of bringing your dad having fun of his life. 

Well I'd have to ask him first. But I wouldn't mind having a racing setup like that myself. I'd probably play more racing games if so. 

I think my dad would try it though. We had a racing wheel before and I think they used that when they played the gran Turismo demo on the PS1. I still have the racing wheel in my closet, but it's been in there since broke many years ago. 

But yeah, it'd be for me as well, but more for him. If he doesn't get into it, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Well I'd have to ask him first. But I wouldn't mind having a racing setup like that myself. I'd probably play more racing games if so. 

I think my dad would try it though. We had a racing wheel before and I think they used that when they played the gran Turismo demo on the PS1. I still have the racing wheel in my closet, but it's been in there since broke many years ago. 

But yeah, it'd be for me as well, but more for him. If he doesn't get into it, so be it. 

Sure, admin your dad first is the right time, so you wouldn't feel disappointed when he turns your effort down.  Having a game setup like that will make sense, since you're passionate about racing games. I am aiming for such set-up too, since I'm in love with racing games. 

13 hours ago, Empire Of Sight said:

Honestly now adays you would have to completely monitor your child / restrict them from anything connected to the internet, television , phones etc if you wanted to keep them away from violence, guns, murder, drama, sex, or really anything a child should probably avoid. Me and all my friends grew up playing band of brothers style games, 007 and countless other games that involved killing each other. The issue is the combination of the current society and these games/ other related things which breed a risk factor.

I remember my youngest brother had a name "A 5 year old" on games so whenever he would kill you online it would say "you've been killed by a 5 year old", or "you've killed a 5 year old" and it was the most comical thing ever. Especially on world of warcraft XD

LOL! i'm usually shouting you just got killed by an old lady!

Edited by runswithspatulas

16 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

my only issue is the 5 yr olds that are playing shooters. i don't think they should be exposed to that at such a young age. it shouldn't be considered normal for them. jmo

One of biggest challenge in monitoring them is that those shooter games are also available on mobile phones. You might be able to stop them from playing it home and once they have access to a smartphone, they can download and play those games at your back. Technically, technology is ruining what it shouldn't. 

4 hours ago, runswithspatulas said:

LOL! i'm usually shouting you just got killed by an old lady!

That's absolutely epic as well xDD ahhh I cant wait to be an old man gaming and just going "noobs I've been playing games for 65 yearsss back in my dayyy we had joysticks and cheetosssss"

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

One of biggest challenge in monitoring them is that those shooter games are also available on mobile phones. You might be able to stop them from playing it home and once they have access to a smartphone, they can download and play those games at your back. Technically, technology is ruining what it shouldn't. 

True and not counting they can borrow friends systems and phones with much easeeeee

2 hours ago, Heatman said:

true but bear in mind i come from a different generation. even if we'd had cell phones when i was a kid there's no way we would've ever been allowed to have any. all this technology is changing people and their perceptions of real life events like simple conversation. they can't have a conversation without either getting offended because they no longer understand the concept of voice inflection or they're too busy on their phones to have a conversation. but there's no balance really to fix it. it is what it is.

56 minutes ago, runswithspatulas said:

true but bear in mind i come from a different generation. even if we'd had cell phones when i was a kid there's no way we would've ever been allowed to have any. all this technology is changing people and their perceptions of real life events like simple conversation. they can't have a conversation without either getting offended because they no longer understand the concept of voice inflection or they're too busy on their phones to have a conversation. but there's no balance really to fix it. it is what it is.

I agree with you on that I grew up without internet for a portion of my life and only had a land line at MOST , generally we spent time together outside as a family or you just learned to spend time alone being creative to entertain yourself. Now adays if you don't instantly agree with someone its almost 100% going to be an argument and that person would rather just find a group of people that agree with them instead of pushing their mental limits of what they "know". Can say dating these days is actually a really tricky thing since no one wants to admit their wrong anymore or be open to change. Its either they believe 100% what they think they know or they dont trust anyone because they know nothing xD and generally its the ones thinking they know everything that know nothing at all REEEE

Still technology has helped alot and made life much more convenient but it took away all the substance from life at the same time. Most people don't even know the smell of a camp fire, the taste of a real home cooked meal or the sounds of nature. Not on a true deep level that happens on a regular basis ofc. I think a shift will come in the future where more people want to experience natural real life experiences orrrr if that doesnt happen we just fall deeper into the rabbit hole of technology and dont return on humanity is forced to XDDD

4 hours ago, Empire Of Sight said:

I agree with you on that I grew up without internet for a portion of my life and only had a land line at MOST , generally we spent time together outside as a family or you just learned to spend time alone being creative to entertain yourself. Now adays if you don't instantly agree with someone its almost 100% going to be an argument and that person would rather just find a group of people that agree with them instead of pushing their mental limits of what they "know". Can say dating these days is actually a really tricky thing since no one wants to admit their wrong anymore or be open to change. Its either they believe 100% what they think they know or they dont trust anyone because they know nothing xD and generally its the ones thinking they know everything that know nothing at all REEEE

Still technology has helped alot and made life much more convenient but it took away all the substance from life at the same time. Most people don't even know the smell of a camp fire, the taste of a real home cooked meal or the sounds of nature. Not on a true deep level that happens on a regular basis ofc. I think a shift will come in the future where more people want to experience natural real life experiences orrrr if that doesnt happen we just fall deeper into the rabbit hole of technology and dont return on humanity is forced to XDDD

and today's kids are only getting this now. they don't know what it was like to just be a part of life. most of them only know what's in their phones.

13 hours ago, Empire Of Sight said:

True and not counting they can borrow friends systems and phones with much easeeeee

Exactly!! You might take the one's that they have away from them when they are at home, have them grounded but once they are out from home, they can easily have access and more to everything that's been taken away from them. 

On 8/27/2022 at 1:52 PM, Justin11 said:

Sure, admin your dad first is the right time, so you wouldn't feel disappointed when he turns your effort down.  Having a game setup like that will make sense, since you're passionate about racing games. I am aiming for such set-up too, since I'm in love with racing games. 

Yeah I'd let my dad know first. But even so, having one my own wouldn't be bad either. I'm not that big into racing, but I gotta imagine it's a lot more fun to play via a racing wheel. 

And cool, if you ever make a racing setup, you should share your setup on the forum. 🙂

8 hours ago, Kane99 said:

Yeah I'd let my dad know first. But even so, having one my own wouldn't be bad either. I'm not that big into racing, but I gotta imagine it's a lot more fun to play via a racing wheel. 

And cool, if you ever make a racing setup, you should share your setup on the forum. 🙂

Honestly using a wheel is sooo fun, it kind of gets you out of the feeling of being trapped to a cord and more like the arcade feel. 

Was actually going to post the same to stay ontopic but @Withywarlock beat me to it.

This thread has run it's course i guess, unless somebody who is a parent with kids old enough to play videogames here wants to chim in and share their own experiences? I'd love to hear them if you are willing to post them as maybe we could learn a thing or two along the way.

Edited by Yaramaki

On 8/25/2022 at 1:21 PM, Justin11 said:

I wouldn't encourage that either, I prefer boarding school, so he wouldn't be close to the home and thinking about video game. Video games can ruin his education because he'll be thinking about his current games when learning is going on. 

A good boarding school is what you should also consider. Kids nowadays even find ways to go to game houses when they are supposed to be in their hostels. So, ensuring that the school have a plan in place to regulate such an act is very important.