Register Now
Gonassis

How long do SD Cards last? Can I re-use older ones?

Hey guys, I just got a 64 GB Steam Deck as a gift, and after installing some newer games on it, I figured out that 64 GB will not get me that far in terms of storage. 😄

So, I found my father’s DJ Drone and there’s a 64 GB card in it, I’m not familiar with the specs, but if he was using it in the drone, it must have been a fast one, no? I know that the drone is two years old, and he has been using it heavily, so it must have had its share of reads and writes, would that affect performance? I think that this is his drone's model, it says Class 10 or UHS-1 card in the specs, is that good?

(here's a picture of the card from the drone) 😁

514994903_DroneSDcard.jpeg.e4141d31d5882dd2c7a27e7a5a13b3f8.jpeg

I also heard about bricking horror stories, are those true? Do older SD cards tend to brick your device?

I was Googling around a bit and found several buying guides (like this one) that have good recommendations, I do plan to invest in to a newer SanDisk, but right now I can’t shelve out $150 😄

Thanks so much!

As far as I know, the format and compatibility of SD cards hasn't changes much if at all over the years, and because it's solid state storage (no moving parts, chemicals or anything), unless the card is damaged, I see no reason why it shouldn't work fine and last as long as you need. I will suggest that a total 128GB is still quite limiting in terms of storage (there are single games larger than that), so I would recommend eventually either buying a much larger SD card or better still fitting your Steam Deck with an NVMe SSD once you have the funds to do so.

Edited by Shagger

SD cards aren't like thumb drives. They are faster, more reliable, and more durable in certain circumstances. Thumb drives will degrade over time, but I have never had that issue with an SD card. They have a MUCH longer lifespan to the point that they're almost immortal. You want to stay with SanDisk as they're the best on the market. Also, I would highly recommend in not getting one smaller than 256g. The 64g that you have will barely hold anything these days. Even a 128g doesn't hold much. I have a couple, but only use them for documents. In my Switch however, I have a 512g card. As soon as I have the money, I'll be upgrading it to a 1t card, or if I can spare the money, a 2t card.

Currently, at BestBuy, a 1t card is $90 (€90.10 / £75.91) and a 2t card is $180 (€180.20 / £151.82) here in the states at least. I don't know where all everyone lives, but as the majority seem to either be from the states, or Europe (or more commonly from what I can see, the UK) I only included the Euro, and British pound.

Even though they may be technically compatible, the read and write speeds may vary depending on the SD card manufacturer. Sandisk and Samsung SD cards tend to be very quick and reliable. You probably should look into a 512 GB micro SD card for something like a Steam Deck but make sure you buy it from a reputable source and not off Ebay or Amazon because there's lots of counterfeit products on those sites nowadays.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:04 PM, killamch89 said:

make sure you buy it from a reputable source and not off Ebay or Amazon because there's lots of counterfeit products on those sites nowadays.

Unfortunately this is very true. So many are false, despite having the name brand and design on the face of the card, that you won't get what you think you're buying. Go to either a reputable electronics store like Best Buy, or Walmart to buy them. You will have to spend more money than getting them off eBay or Amazon, but you can rest assured that you will get the real product and not a fake one.

64 GB isn't much when it concerns new gen consoles. My PS4 comes with inbuilt 500 GB, I'm even complaining, I need something at least 1 TRB. With one terra bite, I wouldn't be afraid installing any sort of games. Because, it will enable to install dozens of games and their data.  

Edited by Justin11

6 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Unfortunately this is very true. So many are false, despite having the name brand and design on the face of the card, that you won't get what you think you're buying. Go to either a reputable electronics store like Best Buy, or Walmart to buy them. You will have to spend more money than getting them off eBay or Amazon, but you can rest assured that you will get the real product and not a fake one.

I had an acquaintance who bought an "authentic" Samsung 512 GB Micro SD card off Ebay which had the branding and everything on it but when she put it in her phone, she realized that it was reading and writing data very slowly. It's when I put the SD card slot in my laptop and booted up CrystalDiskMark and ran the test, we realized that it only had 20GB of storage and the read and write speeds were atrocious...At the time, I think they cost something like $200? or therebout because it had just been released a few months before.

From experience and using the same SD card for quite a few years now regularly, I have found that if you use them regularly you can get around 3 - 4 years out of them but they will wear down eventually. 

The good thing is they are not overly expensive to replace and it's not going to be something you will have to replace too often either. 

I have SD cards from 2016 that are still viable even today. Not much has changed on that front in the past decade. The only difference is speed and high storage capacity of modern SD cards compared to older ones.

On 12/14/2023 at 4:02 PM, Shortie said:

From experience and using the same SD card for quite a few years now regularly, I have found that if you use them regularly you can get around 3 - 4 years out of them but they will wear down eventually. 

The good thing is they are not overly expensive to replace and it's not going to be something you will have to replace too often either. 

I've had some from 2015-2016 and they're still working as good as ever with no wear.