Register Now
Kane99

Assassin’s Creed Mirage Has Adults Only Rating For “Real Gambling” On Xbox Store

Well this is a good start. It looks like the new Assassin's Creed Mirage will have some form of real gambling in game, and due to that it's getting an A rating. At least according to the Xbox Store. Of course, the A rating includes depiction of violence, sexuality, partial nudity and so on. But the big key thing here, is real gambling. My guess is loot boxes or other such things that promote gambling. Unless it's an error on the esrb side or Xbox, idk. But it does make you question what this "real gambling" could be if it is true. 

Source - https://novicegamerguides.com/news/assassins-creed-mirage-has-adults-only-rating-for-real-gambling-on-xbox-store/

Apparently this has all been a misunderstanding.  According to Ubisoft the ESRB and PEGI ratings are pending and expected to be Mature, not Adults Only and their is no "real" gambling in the game.

I know Ubisoft aren't exactly credible but it doesn't make any sense for them to release this game with that rating as it would hurt the sales badly.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 9/13/2022 at 7:38 PM, Crazycrab said:

Apparently this has all been a misunderstanding.  According to Ubisoft the ESRB and PEGI ratings are pending and expected to be Mature, not Adults Only and their is no "real" gambling in the game.

I know Ubisoft aren't exactly credible but it doesn't make any sense for them to release this game with that rating as it would hurt the sales badly.

Thank you for the link that explains more about what the new Assassin's Creed is all about. If they are making this minor mistakes from the start, one would begin to wonder how serious they are in giving gamers a top game at the end. I will be following keenly on the new developments. 

I'm conflicted because I hate gambling and lootboxes in games but I also hate that the AO rating is a death sentence for games. Think of all the cool shit we lose because of that. Reminds me of how the later Friday the 13th movies had all their incredible Tom Savini effects cut out because the ratings board wouldn't allow it. Would Sniper Elite have even better gore effects if the AO rating was still viable to market?

On 9/13/2022 at 2:38 PM, Crazycrab said:

I had a feeling there was something more to it. I also don't see Ubisoft promoting gambling, but if they have lootboxes as a feature in game, then I'd consider that gambling. That's how I would see it anyway. But if there is in fact no gambling (lootboxes and other such things), than yeah they should get an M rating. 

5 hours ago, Empire said:

I'm conflicted because I hate gambling and lootboxes in games but I also hate that the AO rating is a death sentence for games. Think of all the cool shit we lose because of that. Reminds me of how the later Friday the 13th movies had all their incredible Tom Savini effects cut out because the ratings board wouldn't allow it. Would Sniper Elite have even better gore effects if the AO rating was still viable to market?

These days I feel like AO rating isn't as much of a death sentence. Yeah maybe in stores where you buy the game physically, but I imagine many will also purchase the game through a shop/marketplace. I imagine most people wouldn't care much about the Adult rating. It's not like kids will be able to buy it anyway. 

I feel like with the AO rating, it's more in line with excessive sexual content. Because if games like Call of Duty World At War can get an M rating and depict soldiers blowing up, losing limbs and such, I'm sure sniper elite would have gotten away with more gore if they so desired. If I remember correctly, the only games to get AO ratings were games with excessive violence and gore and excessive nudity or sexual acts. Man Hunt was rated M for mature. San Andreas didn't get an adult rating until the hot coffee mod was discovered. 

So I think it really comes down to excessive amounts of it. Or more sexual content, as that seems to be the one getting the AO rating the most. 

23 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I had a feeling there was something more to it. I also don't see Ubisoft promoting gambling, but if they have lootboxes as a feature in game, then I'd consider that gambling. That's how I would see it anyway. But if there is in fact no gambling (lootboxes and other such things), than yeah they should get an M rating. 

These days I feel like AO rating isn't as much of a death sentence. Yeah maybe in stores where you buy the game physically, but I imagine many will also purchase the game through a shop/marketplace. I imagine most people wouldn't care much about the Adult rating. It's not like kids will be able to buy it anyway. 

I feel like with the AO rating, it's more in line with excessive sexual content. Because if games like Call of Duty World At War can get an M rating and depict soldiers blowing up, losing limbs and such, I'm sure sniper elite would have gotten away with more gore if they so desired. If I remember correctly, the only games to get AO ratings were games with excessive violence and gore and excessive nudity or sexual acts. Man Hunt was rated M for mature. San Andreas didn't get an adult rating until the hot coffee mod was discovered. 

So I think it really comes down to excessive amounts of it. Or more sexual content, as that seems to be the one getting the AO rating the most. 

Actually, when a game gets an Adults Only (AO) rating, most major digital storefronts including the Microsoft/Xbox store, PlayStation Store and the Nintendo eShop will not sell it. Steam will, but there's still a lot of red tape to get an AO rated game on there and it will have very limited exposer on the store itself and not be promoted or advertised like other games. So for a major AAA, multiplatform publisher like Ubisoft an AO rating for any of thier games, but especially a game from thier most important and successful franchise, is something to avoid at all costs.

20 minutes ago, Heatman said:

From the looks of things, I don't think that this Adults Only rating is going to be a good thing for this new Assassin's Creed Mirage. It's going to affect the game's selling rate by huge margins. 

The game is not going to get an AO rating, anyone who has been paying attention to the topic would know that. I'm not sure what went wrong with the promotional material and trailers that shipped with the game's announcement, but it's becoming clear that one of two things have happened.

1. Somebody made a mistake and showed the wrong rating logo in the trailer and the accompanying material.
  2. The ESRB did give the game an AO rating based on what they knew of the game initially and Ubisoft would then (obviously) make changes to the game to avoid that rating, but were unable to present these changes to the ESRB before the game's announcement.

Either way, the AO rating is clearly not going to happen.

Edited by Shagger

17 minutes ago, Shagger said:

The game is not going to get an AO rating, anyone who has been paying attention to the topic would know that. I'm not sure what went wrong with the promotional material and trailers that shipped with the game's announcement, but it's becoming clear that one of two things have happened.

1. Somebody made a mistake and showed the wrong rating logo in the trailer and the accompanying material.
  2. The ESRB did give the game an AO rating based on what they knew of the game initially and Ubisoft would then (obviously) make changes to the game to avoid that rating, but were unable to present these changes to the ESRB before the game's announcement.

Either way, the AO rating is clearly not going to happen.

It was almost certainly number 1.  Don't misunderstand me, Assassins creed has had a lootbox mechanic (albeit a more indirect one) since at least Origins and I, like most most gamers, consider lootboxes to be sleight up gambling.  Here however, we are talking about the subterranean standards of the ESRB and PEGI that only consider it gambling if you can pay real money in AND cash real money out.  There is no fucking way that Ubisoft go anywhere near a system like that in a mainstream release!