Register Now
DC

Happy 25th Anniversary, Fallout

To be honest, I hadn't heard of Fallout until Fallout 3 and didn't even play that game at launch, so it really doesn't feel that old nor nostalgic for me, but I've grown to love the franchise. I love it's setting, it's style and the dynamic stories it's told over the years. It's had heavy social/political mirroring, bug shagging madness and everything in between. All the games I've played have had problems, perfection is never your companion when you play Fallout, but each game develops thier charms and unique identities' through the flaws as much as the good stuff. Sometimes these games are infuriating and other times they're really going to thrill and entertain you, but no matter what, even at thier worst, they are never boring. Thank you, Fallout.

Unless it Fallout 76, that game can suck a monkey's smelly thing.

I have played all of Bethesda Fallout games, so I have experience with them. To be honest I found 4 and 76 incredibly disappointing and uninteresting. 3 was alright, but didn't have that much interesting mechanics or world. New Vegas is the best, but only because the characters and story is really good.

I've only played a bit of New Vegas, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. I have Fallout 3, but never played it. I am aware the older games are mostly top down, but I have never played those games myself. I wouldn't mind, as I hear they're quite good. 

Isn't it weird that the series has been around for 25 years? Crazy to think how time has flown by. 

First got into it through Fallout 3. It was quite a mind-blowing experience at the time because I've never played any RPGs like it.

Then New Vegas came along and blew that out of the water... within a rushed production too. NV easily became one of my favorite video games of all time and my favorite Fallout game of all time. Its roleplaying experience was top-notch with dozens of variations resulting from your choices. It easily beats the entire Mass Effect franchise in terms of roleplaying depth and I would even say Dragon Age: Origins. It's easily one of the best RPGs you'll ever experience if you measure RPGs by the depth of their roleplaying (and not by their combat or skill tree, which is the more common measurement for what constitutes a quality RPGs...).

And of course, none of this matters because Fallout 4 and 76 came out to remind us how money-hungry God Howard is. God, FO4 got boring fast once I finished the vapid main plot. Its morality roleplay is a joke. Wonder if Dragon Age: Inquisition's morality roleplay is worse though... Anyway, FO4 isn't a roleplaying game in my point of view and more like an action adventure game. It fits the common definition of a "roleplaying game" by contemporary standards, but the only role I got to play was some whining parent shouting for SHAUN! SHAAAAAUN! Oh wait, wrong game. That's Heavy Rain.

It would be criminal to forget about the Black Isle Studios' first two Fallout games which were far superior roleplaying games than any sequels, period, at least in terms of their roleplaying depth, not so much in terms of graphics, voice-acting, gunplay, and pretty much everything else. lol But still, I would love to see a remake of those games instead of whatever Todd pulls out of his ass next.

Edited by Akun

I've been play Fallout since Fallout 2 and honestly, I still love the franchise outside of Fallout 76. No matter what everyone says, I'm not playing that game even if it's decent - they basically made Fallout 4 online with the same engine and reused assets and tried to rip us off.

On 11/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, Justin11 said:

Fallout has been doing quite well in the game Industry and since fallout 3 they've managed to remain relevant and keep giving their loyal fans what they want.

To be fair, Fallout only survived because of the modding community, the same thing as the Elder Scrolls. The community of both games is what have made these average at best games iconic.

On 11/17/2022 at 3:43 AM, killamch89 said:

To be fair, Fallout only survived because of the modding community, the same thing as the Elder Scrolls. The community of both games is what have made these average at best games iconic.

The fans are actually the the brain behind the success of most video games if you don't have hardcore fans who are very interested in your video games yearly release.