Register Now
Smokey

"Name brand" PC prebuilds or build your own?

When you're in the market for a new PC, do you go for name brand prebuilds or products? Or would you rather build your own with a mix of parts from various companies?

Personally, I don't have the space or time to mess with building my own PC so i go for a prebuild by a name-brand company like Alienware or Asus.  I prefer the former however, as I've had mostly good luck with Alienware products in the past 7 or so years that I've used them.

I think I'd rather build one, just because you can get parts a bit cheaper than buying a pre-built of the same caliber. But I understand wanting to get a pre-built. It's more practical, easier, and you don't have to build a PC. 

I would consider a pre-built if it was set up by a company that doesn't add any bloatware or unnecessary programs. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I think I'd rather build one, just because you can get parts a bit cheaper than buying a pre-built of the same caliber. But I understand wanting to get a pre-built. It's more practical, easier, and you don't have to build a PC. 

I would consider a pre-built if it was set up by a company that doesn't add any bloatware or unnecessary programs. 

I agree, only program I found Alienware to put in theirs is the Alienware Comamnd Center and Dell's SupportAssist client, both of which are pretty useful in keeping your PC running smooth......so I wouldn't necessarily call either of those 'bloatware'.  

I tend to look at buying prebuilt from known companies (ex; CyberPowerPC), and tend to avoid them from main manufactures since they tend to be over priced for what you get, and the options that they list are extremely limited overall. 

On 1/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Smokey said:

I agree, only program I found Alienware to put in theirs is the Alienware Comamnd Center and Dell's SupportAssist client, both of which are pretty useful in keeping your PC running smooth......so I wouldn't necessarily call either of those 'bloatware'.  

Nah I wouldn't call any of that bloat ware. Especially if it's needed. I mainly am referring to those programs they add with like trial periods. Like Microsoft word. I don't want a free trial of that. Just don't include it. I want it to just have the essentials. The usual programs most OSs comes with. No apps otherwise. Maybe a web browser like edge so I can download something like the brave browser instead.

23 hours ago, Syntax said:

I tend to look at buying prebuilt from known companies (ex; CyberPowerPC), and tend to avoid them from main manufactures since they tend to be over priced for what you get, and the options that they list are extremely limited overall. 

I hear cyberpowerpc is pretty good. I think whenever I get my next pc, if it's a prebuilt, I'd have to do some research. And if it's going to be something I build. I'm going to see about finding a site to guide me in the build process by finding the right parts for what I want. 

But that won't happen for a while as I am not able to afford to dish out the money needed for a new PC or to build one. But hopefully one of these days. 

1 hour ago, Kane99 said:

Nah I wouldn't call any of that bloat ware. Especially if it's needed. I mainly am referring to those programs they add with like trial periods. Like Microsoft word. I don't want a free trial of that. Just don't include it. I want it to just have the essentials. The usual programs most OSs comes with. No apps otherwise. Maybe a web browser like edge so I can download something like the brave browser instead.

I hear cyberpowerpc is pretty good. I think whenever I get my next pc, if it's a prebuilt, I'd have to do some research. And if it's going to be something I build. I'm going to see about finding a site to guide me in the build process by finding the right parts for what I want. 

But that won't happen for a while as I am not able to afford to dish out the money needed for a new PC or to build one. But hopefully one of these days. 

Well if that's the case, the only piece of bloatware on my Alienware M17 was a trial for MS Office which I promptly uninstalled 😛 That was put there by Microsoft themselves lol, so can't even fault Alienware/Dell for it. 😛

On 1/4/2023 at 11:12 AM, Kane99 said:

My sentiments exactly and also, it's far easier to upgrade your built PC without voiding any warranties.

On 1/18/2023 at 7:13 PM, Smokey said:

Well if that's the case, the only piece of bloatware on my Alienware M17 was a trial for MS Office which I promptly uninstalled 😛 That was put there by Microsoft themselves lol, so can't even fault Alienware/Dell for it. 😛

Oh for sure. You'll see stuff like that all the time. I usually just ignore it for the most part and never open MS office. 

On 1/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, killamch89 said:

My sentiments exactly and also, it's far easier to upgrade your built PC without voiding any warranties.

That is true. Do pre-builts have warranties that stop you from opening your PC? I figure it's totally fine to open a PC up and add/remove from it if needed. I hope that doesn't void any warranties in itself. That'd be crazy imo. 

As much as I do prefer to build my own PC as it means I could probably save some money by doing so, even though I know a bit about building a PC I know I do not know enough for me to do it myself so I always go for pre-builds. The PC I have now is a pre-build and I have had it nearly 5 years and I am now starting to have issues with it. I will more than likely go for a pre-build again when I get a new one. 

23 hours ago, Shortie said:

As much as I do prefer to build my own PC as it means I could probably save some money by doing so, even though I know a bit about building a PC I know I do not know enough for me to do it myself so I always go for pre-builds. The PC I have now is a pre-build and I have had it nearly 5 years and I am now starting to have issues with it. I will more than likely go for a pre-build again when I get a new one. 

That's fair. I myself have never built a PC, so the idea of building one is kinda scary, especially when you pay so much for the parts. I've heard horror stories of new builders getting their parts and then blowing the PC up because they did things wrong. If I ever build a PC, I'm using as many guides as I can use haha. I would go pre-built, but I think I like the idea of building my own PC, from my own hands. One of these days I'll do it. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, The Blackangel said:

I don't have the clue what computers have these days. I wouldn't have a clue how to build one. That said, I just go with prebuilt computers, like an HP or something.

Well, in your case I understand and to be fair, even though it's relatively easy to build your own, issues may arise that you wouldn't know how to fix as a novice PC builder.

I know it's much better to purchase your own parts and build a PC yourself since it's usually cheaper, but I just go down the lazy route and purchase a pre-built PC. In fact that's what I did back in April, I got the computer I'm currently using. I purchased a Acer Nitro N50-640 and I love it! I need to eventually get a better monitor though, I'm currently using a small Sceptre monitor.