Register Now
Smokey

Do you use emulators for older consoles?

Do you use any emulators on your PC for older consoles like the PS2? Since I don't have access to my PS2 anymore, if I wanna go back and enjoy a game that doesn't have a remaster, I run it through PCSX2 and hope it works fine. 😛  I might play through some PS2 classics this weekend. After making my thread on games like The Bouncer, i'm itching to play it again. 😛 

Do you use any emulators for older consoles? which ones do you use?

I knew there were emulators out there to be able to player older games from older consoles on your PC but it's not something I have ever used to be honest. The only thing I have ever used on my PC has been bluestacks which allows you to download apps from Google Play Store on your PC and play them through your PC which is ideal if you don't have a device capable of running certain games. 

I do from time to time. I just recently played some Donkey Kong Country on the SNES via emulation. Wanted to play some classics and I figured I'd play that. I would hook the Snes up, but my CRT TV is sitting in my closet and I don't want to hook it to my HD TV. So emulation is my next step. 

I've used emulators for older gaming consoles, but it doesn't feel complete unless you can find good wireless/bluetooth/wired controllers that can plug into your PC to play the games on. Otherwise, I've never really had any issues with emulators. 

On 1/20/2023 at 3:21 PM, killamch89 said:

Also just to add, there was a PS2 emulator project that recently got shut down by a developer due to the toxic community which is a shame because it was coming along so nicely.

That's a bummer, what was it called? I'm curious if you can still download the emulator or if the guy just outright scrapped it and peaced out? 

I thought there was already a PS2 emulator, I mean, I know there was a Wii one at some point, called the Dolphin Emulator, so I imagine we have a couple dedicated to just the PS2. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, Kane99 said:

That's a bummer, what was it called? I'm curious if you can still download the emulator or if the guy just outright scrapped it and peaced out? 

I thought there was already a PS2 emulator, I mean, I know there was a Wii one at some point, called the Dolphin Emulator, so I imagine we have a couple dedicated to just the PS2. 

You can learn more about the whole situation right here. AetherSX2 is what it's called and no it's still around but it won't receive any further development.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:07 PM, killamch89 said:

You can learn more about the whole situation right here. AetherSX2 is what it's called and no it's still around but it won't receive any further development.

I'll have to check that out when I can. Are there other PS2 emulators out there that you can download? Or was this going to be the one everyone went for? I'm going to have to do a search on PS2 emulators now and see if there are any alternatives worth checking out. 

20 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I'll have to check that out when I can. Are there other PS2 emulators out there that you can download? Or was this going to be the one everyone went for? I'm going to have to do a search on PS2 emulators now and see if there are any alternatives worth checking out. 

I haven't tried it myself, but PCSX2 looks like the standard. The main reason I haven't tried it is because most of the PS2 games I'd want to play have been re-released on newer hardware anyway, so I've never felt the need.

On 3/1/2023 at 8:18 PM, Kane99 said:

Not any I can remember off the top of my head. It's the most recommended one in the emulator community - Shame too because I was looking forward to it supporting some long forgotten titles like Primal.

I do own quite a few retro consoles, however I don't have a capture card to record footage on, so I mainly resort to using emulators for my Youtube channel. I have Retroarch installed on my computer along with a few other stand alone emulators mainly for debugging purposes whenever I work on my Sonic hacking projects. Retroarch is great since it emulates so many different platforms, want to play PS2 games? There's a core for that! Wish to play Atari 2600 games too? Retroarch is there, no need to download a bunch of different emulators! You can easily install new cores from Retroarch's interface too. Emulation is the future, things don't last forever so we need to preserve video games and emulation.

On 4/8/2023 at 5:54 PM, Ravenfreak said:

I do own quite a few retro consoles, however I don't have a capture card to record footage on, so I mainly resort to using emulators for my Youtube channel. I have Retroarch installed on my computer along with a few other stand alone emulators mainly for debugging purposes whenever I work on my Sonic hacking projects. Retroarch is great since it emulates so many different platforms, want to play PS2 games? There's a core for that! Wish to play Atari 2600 games too? Retroarch is there, no need to download a bunch of different emulators! You can easily install new cores from Retroarch's interface too. Emulation is the future, things don't last forever so we need to preserve video games and emulation.

Retroarch is also the one I sue for everything and it takes a bit to get setup but once you do, it's such a joy to have. Before I used Retroach, I had 9 million different emulators but now - it satisfies all my needs.