Register Now
The Blackangel

How do you clean your keyboard?

How we clean our keyboards is important. But my curiosity is wondering how everyone does it. Me personally, I disassemble it, leave the electronics part on my desk, and put it in the dish washer, keys and all. After that, I wait for it to dry, then put it all back together. It looks brand new after a thorough wash like that. And my keyboard gets pretty dirty over time. I probably have more pets than I should, and their dander and dust accumulate slowly until the entire keyboard is filthy. Then it's off to the dish washer.

So whats your method of cleaning?

I usually use a can of air and clear out most of the dirt, use a slightly damp cloth to wipe away the remnants then I turn my keyboard upside down and lightly tap the back to get out any food particles that may have found its way in between the keys. Honestly, I'm extremely weary of putting any kind of soap/ cleaners barring alcohol near my devices.

Once I done for the night or I know that I'm o longer need to use it anymore, then I clean it out each time 🙂 with a simple brash and cloth 🙂 I just wimp fingermarks off and brash it out between the keys - 2mins and that's it 🙂 

I tend to clean it at least once a day to get any kind of dust or dirt off with something that I know will not harm the keyboard when using it. Usually a duster of some kind or an antibacterial wipe that isn't too wet works well to keep it clean and dust and germ free. I have never disassembled my keyboard as I would be worried that I would break it so for the harder to reach places I will always use canned air to get to those. 

Last time I took all the keys off, vacuumed it and cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol and that was it. I'm getting a electronic air duster, so I'll be using that to clean my keyboard and PC going forward. Which is due for a good cleaning as we speak. 

I personally use the air in a can with that very small nozzle in order to get the dirt and dust under the keys out. I've tried using like a cloth but it never can get fully under some of the keys, and ends up just helping if there was like liquid or sauce or something else that needs to be cleaned vs. the normal stuff.

23 hours ago, Syntax said:

I personally use the air in a can with that very small nozzle in order to get the dirt and dust under the keys out. I've tried using like a cloth but it never can get fully under some of the keys, and ends up just helping if there was like liquid or sauce or something else that needs to be cleaned vs. the normal stuff.

That's a good option. Never used it on a keyboard, but have used can air for an old PC. Just a warning, don't use it too close to the device you're cleaning. I think I damaged a pc because of spraying it too close. 

I'm bad about not cleaning out my keyboard as often as I should. However, when I do get around to doing so I'll just take a can of compressed air and take my keyboard outside so all the dust and gunk in between the keys don't end up on my floor or in the air in my living space.