Register Now
The Blackangel

Did you miss an era?

Not counting systems that were made before you were born, did anyone miss an era of gaming? I did. The era I missed was the entire PS2 era. I was homeless at the time, so it was well out of my hands. I was able to get out of that situation before the official launch of the PS3 here in the western market. But all in all, I missed out on the whole time. I have no idea what games could be listed as "good" and which ones would be labeled as "bad". I hear a lot about Crash Bandicoot, but as I'm not all that familiar with it, I don't know if it's a PS1 or PS2 game. As I have said many times, I was always a Nintendo girl.

It wasn't until I met @Rain Dew that I ever actually made physical contact with a PS2.

I missed quite a few if I am honest due to my parents not being able to afford to get us every new console. Unfortunately I missed out on the NES and the PS2 when they were released. I guess the one I was most upset about missing was the NES and I would love to be able to get hold of one just to be able to play it because I was never able to. Another one I missed out on was DreamCast but I was able to play that a few times because a friend had it, me and my brothers just never owned on ourselves. 

The era's I mostly missed were before the NES. I had a NES growing up, but I know that the SNES and stuff were out by the time I first played the NES. Other than that, I'd say I have missed the new generation so far. I don't own any of the new consoles, but I do have a PC that can play most new games, so I can't complain. 

Only era's/generations I missed were the first 3 as I was too young for them. My first forte into gaming was with the 4th generation, which was the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive & Super Nintendo. I haven't missed a generation since. 

I missed every era of gaming from right around the time of Nintendo 64 to the ps4. I played only a couple games on the 64, the main one being Goldeneye 007. Then absolutely nothing until the ps4 generation. At that point I bought a ps2, ps3, ps4, and now an Oculus VR. So I started gaming again about 5 years ago on the ps2 and Nintendo Mini Classic Edition with a bundle of games for nostalgia. This is all during the ps4 generation. I wish I stayed inside playing games instead of getting into trouble those years. None of it was worth a damn thing. I would have had much more better memories being a gamer. It was nostalgia which brought me back. And to see the realism in games today is like a time warp from jumping from the old games to the new. I'm hooked on the ps4 and the games I play. I love it. Gamer for life. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I missed every era of gaming from right around the time of Nintendo 64 to the ps4. I played only a couple games on the 64, the main one being Goldeneye 007. Then absolutely nothing until the ps4 generation. At that point I bought a ps2, ps3, ps4, and now an Oculus VR. So I started gaming again about 5 years ago on the ps2 and Nintendo Mini Classic Edition with a bundle of games for nostalgia. This is all during the ps4 generation. I wish I stayed inside playing games instead of getting into trouble those years. None of it was worth a damn thing. I would have had much more better memories being a gamer. It was nostalgia which brought me back. And to see the realism in games today is like a time warp from jumping from the old games to the new. I'm hooked on the ps4 and the games I play. I love it. Gamer for life. 

Trust me, you'd have loved it - in the early 2000's all kinds of really unique games dropped for the PS2 and PS3 that never quite got the recognition they deserve like Primal and Socom. It's a shame it came out when the original Devil May Cry dropped because it got completely overshadowed by DMC. Then there was GTA Vice City and San Andreas and IV that were all hits in the 2000's.

Dante's Inferno is another game that never got the recognition it deserved. It is masterfully written, the graphics are beyond what you would expect for a PS3.

It just feels like not many people even knew about the game, which is a damn shame. I never see anyone mention it. I'm just hoping that at some point it will be rereleased for the PS5.

You missed more than you may think at first glance. Back then developers were taking chances and releasing completely unique games. Instead of carbon copy sequels to games. Nowhere else will you find games like :

A Boy And His Blob
Clash At Daemonhead
Hydlide
Street Fighter 2010
Yo! Noid
Astynax
Battletoads
Ducktales
Legacy Of The Wizard

These are all games that I have enjoyed for more than 30 years. Some for almost 40 years. So if you want unique, truly unique, then you should definitely invest in an NES.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 2/14/2023 at 9:41 AM, The Blackangel said:

You missed more than you may think at first glance. Back then developers were taking chances and releasing completely unique games. Instead of carbon copy sequels to games. Nowhere else will you find games like :

A Boy And His Blob
Clash At Daemonhead
Hydlide
Street Fighter 2010
Yo! Noid
Astynax
Battletoads
Ducktales
Legacy Of The Wizard

These are all games that I have enjoyed for more than 30 years. Some for almost 40 years. So if you want unique, truly unique, then you should definitely invest in an NES.

Don't forget Duck Hunt especially with the gun accessory - this game has always been a contradiction in my life because my dad loved animals and hated hunting so I was always curious why he ever bought it in the first place.

wanna revisit gamecube era but it would be like my steam library buy a lot play like 3 of them, i do not like what is happening in the industry too much crunch for devs rush games here and there, Grindy game or buy time savers, colored skins and skins for 1st person games cut content to be sold as DLC and releases exclusive

39 minutes ago, Empire said:

wanna revisit gamecube era but it would be like my steam library buy a lot play like 3 of them, i do not like what is happening in the industry too much crunch for devs rush games here and there, Grindy game or buy time savers, colored skins and skins for 1st person games cut content to be sold as DLC and releases exclusive

I'm just like that myself. I have 125 DDL's on my Switch, and can probably count on one hand how many of them I have actually played. And most of those I have barely played. The only 4 I can think of that I have put any real time into are FutureGrind, Goblin Sword, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, and Layers Of Fear: Legacy. There are several others that I have played, but that was either because I decided while playing them that I wanted to play something else, or it was just too damn hard at that moment. For example I have Cuphead, and still haven't beaten the first stage. That game is a bitch, but I love it for a multitude of reasons. While the challenge is something I'm grateful for, the main thing I love is the artwork and animation. It looks exactly like the vast majority of cartoons I watched as a kid. It may be a game that wasn't even in existence until last gen, but it still gives me feelings of nostalgia. I'm going to have to get a DVD of those old cartoons.

I never fully missed an era - but, I didn't get any games from the late 1990s when they were new, because we still had an old computer with a 100MHz processor that couldn't run them.

I did get a few of those games later on, after we'd upgraded our computer - but this was in the 2000s (by which point they were no longer new).