Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Do you think gaming sharpens memory skills?

My memory was a big sloppy mess when I 1st started gaming. I would easily forget which buttons do what, but now I notice that even after not playing a game for a while I have improved on remembering the buttons. I also can remember stories and quests easier than before. Have you noticed your memory skills improve at all? Or did it get worse haha. When people age, they need to keep their brains active and gaming definitely does that. 

I am a firm believer that it does help sharpen your memory skills. I believe any game you play can help with your memory skills as every game takes some kind of remembering whether it be a strategy that you need to remember or memorize or even something you did to get past a level in a game, it all adds up and helps with your memory skills.

On 4/18/2023 at 1:33 PM, Shagger said:

I feel that what @Reality vs Adventure has described is muscle memory and getting to know game controls. As for weather gaming can help with memory issues, I can see it, but I don't know for sure. And even if if does, I doubt it's a better alternative to reading and metal exercise. 

Muscle memory is a very real thing in gaming I will admit. There have been many times when I have come away from a game for a while and as soon as I go back on it, it's like I never stopped playing it and my game play and what buttons and such I need to hit and use tend to come back to me naturally. Muscle memory really is a great thing which I do believe can also help with memory skills which are very important through life and as we get older. 

Playing video games can actually help improve your memory skills. When you play games, you need to remember lots of important things like the rules, objectives, strategies, and even where certain things are located in the game. This constant exercise of your memory while gaming can actually make your memory better over time. Some games, like puzzles or strategy games, are designed to specifically challenge your memory and thinking abilities, which can ultimately help you remember things more easily. However, it's important to note that the impact on your memory may vary depending on the type of games you play and how long you play them for.

Yes, gaming can help sharpen memory skills by requiring players to remember complex game mechanics, strategies, and patterns. Regularly engaging in gaming exercises the brain, improving cognitive functions like memory, attention, and problem-solving. Additionally, certain types of games, such as puzzle or strategy games, specifically target memory and require players to recall information or make quick decisions based on memory. However, it is important to maintain a balanced approach and not rely solely on gaming for memory improvement, as a well-rounded approach including other cognitive exercises is recommended.

I don't notice a change in my memory, but my reaction time has improved immensely from playing video games I think. I also think I'm a bit more observant, possibly due to video games, or possibly just due to experience. 

If you play a variety of games repeatedly, yes, definitely, but if you play one game over and over, no, IMO because it becomes mindless in nature.  The potential is absolutely there, though!  Like all things, practice makes perfect.

Edited by PGen98

Gaming helps to improve working memory. You encounter a lot of rules and you strive to play based on the established rules. This helps a lot in work as well, you are able to perform your tasks with the rules being sharp in your memory. This is something I noticed in myself a long time ago. 

Personally, I would say that playing video games works more in improving your reaction and response both in the games and also in real life. I can't think of how well it's working on improving your memory per say. 

9 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Coordination skills? Definitely but memory, it depends on the types of games you're playing. There have been a few research papers that have pointed to the fact that puzzle games improved working memory in adults.

Exactly! It's very confusing how any sort of video game which can work on someone's memory. How would it even work on one's memory? By helping them to remember games and how they beat the game or what? 

6 hours ago, Heatman said:

Exactly! It's very confusing how any sort of video game which can work on someone's memory. How would it even work on one's memory? By helping them to remember games and how they beat the game or what? 

From my analysis, it's mostly games that make you have to use your brain and really think like crossword puzzles and other games along those lines.