Register Now
NightmareFarm

Cult following games?

What games do you think represent a cult following well with it's fanbase?

Right off the bat i'm going to say Forspoken. It has been given a lot of hate online but there are a small but dedicated group of people who enjoyed it and think it didn't deserve all the hate(including me). And also because I think people will mellow out towards it overtime. The magic systems are very unique and fun but a lot of people can't look past the dialogue because of MCU fatigue, I feel like in 10 years from now people will look back on it as a game underrated for it's time and will buy it to check it out.

These are in no particular order:

• COD
  • Battlefield
  • Fortnite
  • GTA V
  • Fifa
  • Elder Scrolls franchise especially Skyrim, Oblivion and Morrowind
  • Fallout especially Fallout 3 and New Vegas
  • Persona 5
  • Mario Games especially Smash, Gokart And Party
  • Zelda

When it comes to games that represent a cult following Call of Duty is the first game franchise that comes to mind for me. After that it is Fortnite, GTA, Apex Legends and also FIFA as well. 

Call of Duty and Fortnite would definitely be the ones I would say are the most popular for cult following when it comes to games. 

The first one that comes to mind for me, is the Red Dead franchise. That includes all 3 games. The fan base is extremely loyal. Trust me on that one. But there are those that look specifically for fan made games. For example I have three.

The Legend Of Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets
The Legend Of Zelda Goddess Of Wisdom
The Legend Of Zelda Parallel Worlds

While a lot of people stick to those kind of games, I no longer play them. With Goddess Of Wisdom, after six years I had only made it to the third temple. The difficulty is beyond extreme to the point that trying to play it is just cruel. It was literally designed to not be beaten.

But as @killamch89 pointed out, Zelda has a massive cult following. I have been playing the franchise since its inception, and have only abandoned 2 games that I can think of. Windwaker, and Twilight Princess. I refuse to play Windwaker simply due to the graphics. With TP, while it had beautiful graphics, it was just massively overdone. A very poor attempt at an open world Zelda.

The Mario franchise has so damn many entries and it's not just a franchise anymore. It's a world that literally offers you pretty much anything you can think of. It has so many branches that even trees are saying it needs pruning. There are so damn many, that I wouldn't be willing to even try to list all the games. It's beyond massive.

Sonic has a dedicated fanbase and I'm part of the hacking scene. It's amazing to see what other hackers have done to not only the old Genesis titles, but 3D titles as well. They even made fan games and some members in the community actually went on to work for Sega and to work on Sonic Mania! The good games outweigh the bad, it's just a shame that gaming journalists don't seem to have good taste in games so there's always someone crapping on a Sonic game even if it's good like Frontiers.

I feel like a lot of the games mentioned here are completely missing the definition of "cult following". I might be wrong here, but I interpret cult following to mean a small, but dedicated fan base, while quite a few of the series mentioned here are literally the most popular games in the world. 

To me a prime example of a game with a cult following is one that I belong to myself: Alan Wake

I absolutely loved Alan Wake when it first came out. I thought the characters were really interesting, and I loved the storytelling and creepy setting of Bright Springs. It was never a very popular game, but I know that me and a bunch of other people have been very much looking forward to the upcoming Alan Wake 2 for about 13 years now. 

Edited by Anders

25 minutes ago, Lamarr the strelok said:

I agree with Anders.I think of cult games as being obscure but have a small but passionate base. I'm part of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. cult.

COD battlefield,etc. are fine but I wouldn't call 'em cult games.

Yeah pretty much this. What I meant was obscure but loyal followings instead of the most popular followings. 

Some games I know that have a cult following include "Undertale," "Earthbound," "Doki Doki Literature Club!," "Minecraft," "Dark Souls," and "The Binding of Isaac." These games have passionate and dedicated fanbases that continue to support and engage with them long after their release.

Well, it's very obvious with Sonic games. The fanbase is something else when it comes to how they follow the game. I do love the game but I'm shocked how it's fanbase get the way they are. 

Other games like Pac-Man, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros and Donkey Kong all have strong cult following fanbase. 

On 2/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, Heatman said:

Well, it's very obvious with Sonic games. The fanbase is something else when it comes to how they follow the game. I do love the game but I'm shocked how it's fanbase get the way they are. 

Other games like Pac-Man, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros and Donkey Kong all have strong cult following fanbase. 

Sonic does have that issue as well. Some of them even think Sonic is a bigger character than Mario and that Mario is "boring". I swear that fanboyism is the worst thing within any fanbase.