Register Now
svjiminfxv

What games do you enjoy playing?

Fantasy has, and always will be, my number one favorite. My interests have broadened over the years, so now I'm about trial and error in finding what genres I might enjoy. I have recently became a big fan of horror games. Layers Of Fear: Legacy is my personal favorite at the moment. I never could have expected this, but RDR2 has become my all time favorite game. There is more to do in it, than in any other game I have played. I grew up on 8-bit and lower games. When NES dropped around here in the states, I remember people being blown away by how realistic and lifelike SMB was.

Hence, Zelda is a favorite from its inception.

I love platformers and RPGs the most. I prefer to play turned based RPGs over hack and slash, though I don't mind hack and slash. I'm not a fan of rouge like RPGs though where you have to take care of your characters otherwise they my die of starvation. Sonic the Hedgehog is my favorite gaming franchise so I mainly prefer faster paced platformers but I also enjoy playing Mega Man, Super Mario Bros., and Spyro the Dragon. I also enjoy playing some FPS games with Doom being my favorite and Turok being another favorite series of mine.

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I’m hardcore into cyberpunk. Well what the fuck is that? It’s games like Deus Ex, Cyberpunk 2077, Watch Dogs Legion, main ones I know of. Not many I know cause it’s a new genre. Or is it? I believe we need to make a new Cyberpunk genre. 

IMO, Cyberpunk is a style of visuals and setting rather than a genre. The colourful, rebellious, self indentified identity of punk with futuristic, sci-fi elements. It's like not like video games are the only expressions of cyberpunk. For example there are several movies, like Tron and The Running Man that I'd describe as cyerberpunk as well.

In terms of games, and as you've shown, first person games seem to be a popular choice with this aesthetic in recent years for reasons I can't quite figure out. But still, I have seen RPG's, FPS's, side scrollers and even racing games with that aesthetic theme. There are limits, it's not like all genres suit the aesthetic. Horror is one that strikes me as one that really wouldn't work. 

But that's not the point. Cyberpunk is an art style. An art style that suits some types of games and stories more others, but an art style none the less.

Edited by Shagger

On 11/30/2023 at 1:11 AM, Shagger said:

IMO, Cyberpunk is a style of visuals and setting rather than a genre. The colourful, rebellious, self indentified identity of punk with futuristic, sci-fi elements. It's like not like video games are the only expressions of cyberpunk. For example there are several movies, like Tron and The Running Man that I'd describe as cyerberpunk as well.

In terms of games, and as you've shown, first person games seem to be a popular choice with this aesthetic in recent years for reasons I can't quite figure out. But still, I have seen RPG's, FPS's, side scrollers and even racing games with that aesthetic theme. There are limits, it's not like all genres suit the aesthetic. Horror is one that strikes me as one that really wouldn't work. 

But that's not the point. Cyberpunk is an art style. An art style that suits some types of games and stories more others, but an art style none the less.

I do agree with you that it's a setting/art style and I like how you describe it--

"The colourful, rebellious, self indentified identity of punk with futuristic, sci-fi elements."

That is spot on and that's what intrigues me. The visual elements, sci fi, futuristic, struggles of humanity and technology and emotions all hot-wired into a dystopian struggle for survival. As you mention, 1st person games are becoming popular in this aesthetic. What has really drawn me in, actually is everything!!! What sets the gaming apart from movies, is that you finally get to put yourself inside the augmentations and use those abilities and technologies. I love how it sets itself apart from magic where those augmented abilities seems like it could be real. To become invisible, not by vanishing but by projecting mirror images. To open a door not by a magic whirlwind, but by hacking into it. In today's world with all this military technology, people feel helpless against it. But hacking has a rebellious, heroism fight when all odds are against you. That's what cyberpunk brings, an evolution of the old school magic that maybe people weren't that into. And honestly, I was never into magic all that much. I enjoy Skyrim now, but I prefer sci fi abilities like all the electricity abilities in the Infamous series and augmented abilities in cyberpunk games, and technological gadgets in Watch Dogs. To me it's more realism based as I'm very science oriented. 

As you mentioned, there is a lot of self identity involved. With all these cyberpunk games, there is a common theme of discrimination and oppression. It stretches your moral insight by trying to realize if an android should have the same rights or not like in Detroit Become Human. Or if a human has an augmented limb or something and they become segregated for it. Or if your body rejects implants and develop something that causes you to lose control over your own sympathetic nervous system or feel like you are losing sanity. It's an art style, exactly as you say. And art depicts things in ways to get around oppressive climates as a way to express things. Cyberpunk is brilliant in every aspect of its entirety. I mean, it is for the 1st/3rd person games. I haven't played others with a cyberpunk theme. Like Cloudpunk, looks like you fly around in that setting, but awkward looking character on foot. I don't know. Looks interesting though on youtube. Stray supposedly has a cyberpunk theme. I actually want to check that one out. To have a cat run around in that environment would be an interesting perspective. 

I love playing games like the Prince of Persia trilogy. Its interesting, artistic, intense, and challenging to solve puzzles. Its fun appreciating the scenery and fighting mythical creatures. Its also fun being able to undo your mistakes with the Sands of Time. The Prince is such a memorable character and somewhat mysterious. We don't know his real name. If you want to know more, see my article (Link Removed by Moderator)

Edited by Shagger

Personally, I love playing some of these franchises ; Survival horror, shooting, racing, fighting,football manager and adventure games. Any game that falls within these categories with a standard story, I'll love playing it.