Register Now
Kane99

Think we'll see midnight release parties again?

I remember back when release parties were a thing for video games. I went to a few of the Call of Duty release parties, I think they were for MW2 and Black Ops back in the early 2010s or so. My local gamestop would hold a little party where they'd feed us, give us free stuff, and more. I even remember they would give people the displays and posters as prizes at the end of the party. I think they even gave away a console and games. I never won anything though. :( 

Now days with digital games I don't think we even have release parties. Plus I think Covid stopped it for a good while. Idk, I guess I just miss the release or launch parties they did for new releases. I wish they would do it again, because I'm always down for free food and possibly winning stuff in return for hanging out a while. 

Do you think we'll ever see release parties again? What midnight release parties did you go to? 

I never really went to any of these parties myself, but I usually don't play many triple A titles. It's a shame that so many people opt to get digital games now so stores don't feel the need to have parties like this anymore though... I'm still a person who prefers to purchase physical games myself, especially of franchises I love. I would say maybe if Rockstar does something to compromise the digital release of GTA VI we might see a release party for that game, but again I bet more people are going to purchase the digital version of the game over the physical version.

With digital games being as popular as they are now and there being no need to always head out anymore to get a game on release, I would be shocked if we saw another release party again. It's a shame as they were a lot of fun to be involved with and due to digital taking over, they seem to have phased out pretty fast. 

A new release doesn't have the same experience as it used to anymore which is a shame. 

I remember those kind of parties. There would even be like a demo session that is played by chosen members of the audience. This is just to show a snippet of what is to come. But that is no longer valued today since the media show us everything before the games are released. 

Release parties for video games were popular in the past, particularly for big titles like Call Duty. Gamestop would host parties with free food, giveaways, and prizes like displays and posters. With the rise of digital games and the impact of Covid, release parties have become less common. It's uncertain if they will make a comeback, but many gamers miss the fun and excitement of these events.

No matter how release parties for video games were popular in the past, I have never made out any time to attend any of them. I just never had the time for that sort of things. I'm more interested in the game itself than any parties for its release.