Register Now
Alexander.

Are children to young to play games?

Depends on the game and child, as others have said. If the game is appropriate for the child, I don’t have an issue. For example. My 6yo daughter plays Minecraft and Overcooked with me, and we have a lot of fun together. She also likes watching me play Cuphead. I was dying so much, she made a little flag to wave to give me some support as it’s so damn hard. It had a little Cuphead picture on it and a heart 😂

On 4/11/2019 at 9:34 AM, skyfire said:

Not really. Parents are not allowed to yell, beat or anything. So all their methods of parenting are already controlled by state. So what else they are supposed to do other than blaming video games and TV. After all millennial are pure SJW for a reason. They seem to avoid all the risk and blame everyone else than their own self and have laws that basically locks people on not taking action. 

dude as a kid who grew up in an abusive household, i can tell you methods like that do nothing but teach a kid they aren't safe and they gotta hide whatever they're doing. there has to be a better way. 

4 hours ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

dude as a kid who grew up in an abusive household, i can tell you methods like that do nothing but teach a kid they aren't safe and they gotta hide whatever they're doing. there has to be a better way. 

Teaching kids to be accountable from a young age as well as educating kids about the differences between fantasy and reality really aid them in their development.

On 4/13/2019 at 6:23 AM, DylanC said:

Depends on the game and child, as others have said. If the game is appropriate for the child, I don’t have an issue. For example. My 6yo daughter plays Minecraft and Overcooked with me, and we have a lot of fun together. She also likes watching me play Cuphead. I was dying so much, she made a little flag to wave to give me some support as it’s so damn hard. It had a little Cuphead picture on it and a heart 😂

At her age, I was playing games like killer instinct on the Sega Genesis and Mortal Kombat. It's good that you game with your daughter - my dad did that with me at 3 years old when we got Mario and Duck Hunt for the original NES. 

7 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Teaching kids to be accountable from a young age as well as educating kids about the differences between fantasy and reality really aid them in their development.

At her age, I was playing games like killer instinct on the Sega Genesis and Mortal Kombat. It's good that you game with your daughter - my dad did that with me at 3 years old when we got Mario and Duck Hunt for the original NES. 

It’s definitely a great way to bond with your kids. Not saying going outside and having a play in the park together is not good, too. But there’s something magical about video games in how it can bring people together. It’s a great conduit that helps people have fun and laugh together.

And, man. Mario, Duck Hunt, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct are all top-notch games to play. The latter two maybe a little violent, but it was a different time for us back in the day, right? Playing games like that was fine when you’re little! Lol.

Edited by DylanC

8 hours ago, DylanC said:

It’s definitely a great way to bond with your kids. Not saying going outside and having a play in the park together is not good, too. But there’s something magical about video games in how it can bring people together. It’s a great conduit that helps people have fun and laugh together.

And, man. Mario, Duck Hunt, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct are all top-notch games to play. The latter two maybe a little violent, but it was a different time for us back in the day, right? Playing games like that was fine when you’re little! Lol.

True, video games are a great way to connect with other people. Back in the days, parents never understood much about video games so they would overlook you playing games like Mortal Kombat but parents nowadays are quite informed about the more violent games because of the media making an issue about their existence.

3 hours ago, killamch89 said:

True, video games are a great way to connect with other people. Back in the days, parents never understood much about video games so they would overlook you playing games like Mortal Kombat but parents nowadays are quite informed about the more violent games because of the media making an issue about their existence.

What do you think about the media making their existence an issue?

I actually kind of like it, on one hand, it keeps parents in the loop, and I believe parents should be aware of what sort of games their child is playing (at least up until a certain point, at some point it gets excessive and overbearing) but on the other, I feel parents are becoming too involved in some areas of their child's life and not involved enough in others, or just over-involved in general, which doesn't foster a healthy parent-child relationship.

2 hours ago, Darya said:

What do you think about the media making their existence an issue?

I actually kind of like it, on one hand, it keeps parents in the loop, and I believe parents should be aware of what sort of games their child is playing (at least up until a certain point, at some point it gets excessive and overbearing) but on the other, I feel parents are becoming too involved in some areas of their child's life and not involved enough in others, or just over-involved in general, which doesn't foster a healthy parent-child relationship.

I'm with you on this one, but I had overinvolved parents who somehow seemed barely cognizant of the fact that I was a solid student who literally never touched drugs or booze growing up :/ Somehow I was still under heavy surveillance and paranoia. 

Media attention doesn't always mean being in the loop in a meaningful way--there is a lot of misinformation out there. There was some kind of nonsense back in the 80s about Dungeons and Dragons promoting devil worship and suicides, and I grew up with parents who ate that shit up. Seriously ... who wouldn't rather their child be playing a nerdy, creative game of the imagination seated at the kitchen table with some friends than doing drugs in some back lot? Good grief. I have no idea what my parents thought an evening of roleplaying was comprised of (blood sacrifice?), but there was no possibility of setting them straight. I was an avid roleplayer growing up, and you can imagine the stupid trouble this caused for me.

My parents aren't nearly that bad, but my mom certainly toes the line very so often, essentially blaming all the world's problems on children's usage of social media and video games, which is completely ridiculous, because if anything, they're what keep me sane with all the schoolwork I have to balance.

Media attention doesn't always mean being in the loop in a meaningful way--there is a lot of misinformation out there. There was some kind of nonsense back in the 80s about Dungeons and Dragons promoting devil worship and suicides, and I grew up with parents who ate that shit up. Seriously ... who wouldn't rather their child be playing a nerdy, creative game of the imagination seated at the kitchen table with some friends than doing drugs in some back lot? Good grief. I have no idea what my parents thought an evening of roleplaying was comprised of (blood sacrifice?), but there was no possibility of setting them straight. I was an avid roleplayer growing up, and you can imagine the stupid trouble this caused for me.

Interesting. I have never heard of that, and I play D&D every so often and I live in a religious household. But yeah, my parents are certainly glad that I spend my time in my room (even if it is avoiding interaction with others) rather than standing in a parking lot vaping like many of my classmates. To be honest, gaming and social media has kept me out of a lot of trouble that my parents don't want me in to begin with.

Following the main topic: The other day my little brother in law (he is 11) made a tantrum because my girlfriend didnt allowed him to play Free fire (battle royale game for android) , I had to step in and scold him. So anyway parents should always restrict the games to the their kids at some point, this kid played every day non stop without attending his responsibilities and the moment its taken a way from him he goes nuts. I remember I threw tantrums to as a kid for the same reason but I sure as hell knew better not to make my parents mad 😆 they made me understand that responsibilities came first and now as an adult I follow the same rule.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:03 AM, TheSteelyardDweller said:

I kind of agree. I was also raised in environment where I have like 3 women in house who used to control me. And that kind of made things a bit pretty difficult for me. And now I kind of think in same scenario for parenting. I can get what you mean. 

On 8/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, skyfire said:

I kind of agree. I was also raised in environment where I have like 3 women in house who used to control me. And that kind of made things a bit pretty difficult for me. And now I kind of think in same scenario for parenting. I can get what you mean. 

i think reward-based parenting is ideal. encourage good behavior with rewards, or deny the rewards. not to say discipline has no place, but it should be about positively redirecting behavior, not making a child feel scared.

1 hour ago, TheSteelyardDweller said:

i think reward-based parenting is ideal. encourage good behavior with rewards, or deny the rewards. not to say discipline has no place, but it should be about positively redirecting behavior, not making a child feel scared.

I grew up in an abusive house as well, but my family took it probably further than most. My father beat me daily just for fun, and my uncle even tried to kill me when I was 2. So for people that grow up that way, we don't know how to encourage good behavior. The way I have always shown affection is through violence, because it's all I saw growing up. If I like you, I'll hit you. Not a beat-your-ass kind of hit. Just a "thump" kind of hit. I honestly don't know any other way to show any kind of affection. I guess that's why so many of my relationships have crashed and burned.

On 8/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, The Blackangel said:

. If I like you, I'll hit you. Not a beat-your-ass kind of hit. Just a "thump" kind of hit. I honestly don't know any other way to show any kind of affection. I guess that's why so many of my relationships have crashed and burned.

I didn’t grow up in that situation, but I can relate. Ever notice kids show affection that way on the playground? But when we grow up, the roughhousing is supposed to stop. I never got why. In many ways, I actually prefer to give or receive the type of hit you describe than a hug.

On 8/28/2019 at 2:28 AM, TheSteelyardDweller said:

Upto some extent it does work though. I am not sure it may work in all families because I know some parents who just want to get it over with when it comes to kids demanding anything.