Register Now
The Blackangel

A Game You Just Don't Get The Appeal Of

We all have our favorites. That's a given. We all have games that we absolutely hate. that's another given. But what's a game that is popular as hell, but you just don't get the appeal? There's several that come to mind for me. Assassin's Creed and Grand Theft Auto. With AC, I can never get through that bullshit training in the beginning. It never ends, and lets you play the game. With GTA, what's the point? There's nothing to do in it except beat people, steal their car, and.....nothing else. It's a completely pointless game. Halo is another one. I played in a few Halo tournaments when it debuted, and the appeal never really showed itself to me. An arena fighting game. Ooohhh. Aaahhhh. Sports games are another. Don't get me wrong, I'm a major hockey nut. But playing a game on a console or PC, is just boring. The only game I have ever enjoyed is 1080 Snowboarding and that's only because I used to be a local pro/am snowboarder. Then there's games like SOCOM and COD. Maybe it's due to my experience from my time in the Marines, but these games really make no sense. If you want to be in that situation that fucking bad, then just enlist. Do something with your life in that respect.

To be honest with you, after what you just put down, I'm not sure how you find appeal in anything. I mean, there's nothing that attracts me to GTA either, especially since I have plenty of other sandbox games to play with. I guess there's a social aspect to GTA that most other such games lack in some respects, but otherwise, it's not really a game for me.

I'm not sure where you miss the appeal of a Halo game. The fantasy of playing a badass super soldier fighting and winning a war that was going south for humanity the last few decades in-universe is where the appeal is, from my perspective. And after you've been through that, there's always taking to the multiplayer and seeing how well you measure up to other players who have probably done the same stuff you just did and more.

With that said, I guess the kind of game I don't get the appeal of isn't actually a video game, and even then, it's more a matter of taste in settings than anything else. I don't particularly care to play anything to do with Dungeons & Dragons. Games using similar systems, maybe, but not that game in particular. I'm not attracted to the high fantasy genre; I've always been more of a science fiction/science fantasy person. Low fantasy I can work with; that's what the setting of Monster Hunter is. But it's difficult to sell me on a high fantasy. I have this same problem with Magic: The Gathering. It almost turned me off from YuGiOh! too, but it was redeemed for me when I discovered there were science fiction "monsters" in the game, too; stuff from AI constructs and aliens to full-blown robots and mechs. I eventually warmed up to some of the fantasy stuff the game had to offer, but I wanted the science fiction first.

Edited by Executor Akamia

16 hours ago, Executor Akamia said:

To be honest with you, after what you just put down, I'm not sure how you find appeal in anything.

How so? There's loads of games I love. I just mentioned a handful of games that I don't get the appeal of. Your comment makes no sense.

@The Blackangel Interesting topic. I'm not sure that there are any games I can't empathetically wrap my mind around, but there are plenty that just don't appeal to me personally. Like I understand why Tetris is appealing to many people, but it just doesn't hold my attention. Puzzle games in general fall into this category, with a few exceptions. 

4 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

How so? There's loads of games I love. I just mentioned a handful of games that I don't get the appeal of. Your comment makes no sense.

Well, just the three examples you mentioned are what make me question how you can find the appeal in anything. 😕 Well, actually, just two out of the three...

On 5/24/2019 at 12:22 PM, The Blackangel said:

With AC, I can never get through that bullshit training in the beginning. It never ends, and lets you play the game.

This doesn't sound like not finding the appeal so much as being frustrated with a tutorial segment that over-stays its welcome. And, I mean, fair enough I suppose, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the appeal of the game, per se. With a name like Assassin's Creed, I think the appeal is pretty in your face about it. It's like playing Spy in Team Fortress 2; you get to feel like a sneaky son of a bitch! How can you say no to that? 😂

With GTA, what's the point? There's nothing to do in it except beat people, steal their car, and.....nothing else. It's a completely pointless game.

There is a disturbing amount of games you can similarly reduce with reasoning like that, and I bet dollars to doughnuts most of the games you like are among them. I never played
 GTA. Never cared to; it's not in a genre I'm actually interested in. But I have played at least one other game in that genre, Crackdown, and while the premise is slightly different, it really does boil down to beating people and commandeering cars. Difference is you're playing as some kind of supercop, and your boss in-game will get mad at gratuitous death and destruction with regard to civilians, but y'know... Details...

Halo is another one. I played in a few Halo tournaments when it debuted, and the appeal never really showed itself to me. An arena fighting game. Ooohhh. Aaahhhh.

21 hours ago, Executor Akamia said:

I'm not sure where you miss the appeal of a Halo game. The fantasy of playing a badass super soldier fighting and winning a war that was going south for humanity the last few decades in-universe is where the appeal is, from my perspective. And after you've been through that, there's always taking to the multiplayer and seeing how well you measure up to other players who have probably done the same stuff you just did and more.

Granted, I don't know where the "arena fighting game" remark is coming from. Sounds like Tekken more than it sounds like Halo, but whatever.

Here's my game library. Tell me why these games have no appeal.

NES - - -

8 Eyes
A Boy And His Blob
Abadox
Astynax
Bad Dudes
Batman
Blaster Master
Bubble Bobble
Castlequest
Castlevania 1,2,3
Clash At Demonhead
Contra
Contra Super C
Deadly Towers
Demon Sword
Dig Dug 2
Donkey Kong Classics
Double Dragon 1,2,3
Dr Mario
Dragon Warrior
Excitebike
Faxanadu
Festers Quest
Final Fantasy
Friday The 13th
Gauntlet
Gauntlet II
Gyromite
Hydlide
Iron Sword
Junior Edition Jeopardy
Karate Champ
Kid Icarus
Kings Knight
Kirbys Adventure
Kung Fu
Legacy Of The Wizard
Legend Of Zelda, The(gold)
Little Mermaid, The
Marble Madness
Mario Bros
Mega Man 2,3,4,6
Metroid
Milon's Secret Castle
Ninja Gaiden
Punch Out
Q*Bert
Rescue Rangers
Rocketeer, The
Rygar
Shadowgate
Solstice
Spy Hunter
Street Fighter 2010
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, SMB2,SMB3
T&C Surf Designs
Taboo The Sixth Sense
Time Lord
TMNT 1,2,3
Wizards & Warriors
Yo! Noid
Yoshi
Zelda 2 The Adventure Of Link(gold)

Game Genie

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

SNES - - -

Arcades Greatest Hits
Beavis & Butthead
Blackthorne
Donkey Kong Country 1,2,3
Drakken
Earthworm Jim 2
Final Fantasy 2,3,4
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Illusion Of Gaia
Jim Power The Lost Dimension In 3D
Killer Instinct (CIB minus soundtrack)
Lagoon
Legend Of The Mystical Ninja, The
Legend Of Zelda A Link To The Past, The
Legend Of Zelda Goddess Of Wisdom, The
Legend Of Zelda Parallel Worlds, The
Lion King, The
Magic Sword
Mario All Stars
Mario Is Missing
Mario Kart
Mario Paint
Mario RPG Legend Of The 7 Stars
Mario World
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Populous
Ren & Stimpy Veediots
Rocketeer, The (CIB)
Star Fox
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Super Putty
Super Off Road The Baja
Ultima The False Prophet
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Warlock
Wizard Of Oz
Yoshi's Cookie

SUPER SCOPE-

Battle Clash
Metal Combat
Super Scope 6
X Zone
Yoshi's Safari

Super Game Boy

Game Genie

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

N64 - - -

1080 Snowboarding
Banjo Kazooie
Castlevania
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Daikatana
Donkey Kong 64
Forsaken 64
Hexen
Mario 64
Mega Man 64
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Namco Museum 64
Nightmare Creatures
Quest 64
South Park
Space Invaders
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire
World Driver Championship
Zelda Majoras Mask (both gold, one hologram)
Zelda Ocarina Of Time (standard & gold)
Zelda Ocarina Of Time Master Quest

Game Shark

GAME BOY - - -

Arcade 4 Defender/Joust
Donkey Kong Land
Jungle Book
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park DNA Factor
Killer Instinct
Mario Kart Super Circuit
Metroid II
Mole Mania
My Little Pony Rainbow
Namco Museum (Ms. Pac Man, Pole Position, Dig Dug, Galaga, Galaxian)
Pagemaster, The
Pinocchio
Pocahontas
Quad Desert Fury
Speedy Gonzales
Spyro 2 Season Of Flame
Spyro Attack Of The Rhynots
Super Mario Deluxe
Super Mario Land 1,2
Tak & The Power Of Juju
Zelda 4 Swords
Zelda A Link To The Past
Zelda Links Awakening (Color, and Original)
Zelda Minish Cap
Zelda Oracle Of Ages (GBA Copy & GB Color Copy)
Zelda Oracle Of Seasons

Game Genie

SEGA GENESIS - - -

Galahad
Ghouls 'N Ghosts
Jurassic Park
Pitfall The Mayan Adventure
Shining In The Darkness
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic & Knuckles
Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition
Sub-Terrania
Tinhead

PS1 - - -

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night
Final Fantasy 8
Monopoly

PS3 - - -

Bound By Flame
Castlevania Lords Of Shadows
Castlevania Lords Of Shadows II
Dantes Inferno
Dark Kingdom
Darksiders
Darksiders II
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Demons Souls
Devil May Cry 4
Dishonored (2 Copies)
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age Inquisition Deluxe Edition
Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (DA Origins, DA Origins Awakening)
Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
Fallen Angel Sacred II
Family Guy Back To The Multiverse
Final Fantasy X, X2
For Honor Gold Edition
God Of War 1-3, Chains Of Olympus, Ghost Of Sparta, Ascension
Heavenly Sword
Lair
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge
Reckoning Kingdom Of Amalur
Rise Of The Argonauts
Risen 3 Titan Lords
South Park The Stick Of Truth
Thief

PS4 - - -

Dragon Age Inquisition
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
God Of War
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Lords Of The Fallen
Pillars Of Eternity Complete Edition
Shovel Knight
Styx: Shards Of Darkness

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

ATARI - - -

(GP = Game Program)

3 Tele Games
Air-Sea Battle(GP)
Asteroids
Backgammon(GP)
Barnstorming
Battlezone
Berzerk
Blackjack(GP)
Bridge
Centipede
Circus Atari(GP)
Combat (GP) (2)
Defender
Dig Dug
Dodge 'Em
Donkey Kong
E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
Fast Food
Football
Football(GP)
Freeway
Frogger
Grand Prix
Haunted House(2)
Home Run(GP)
Jr. Pac-Man
Jungle Hunt(2)
Kaboom
Kangaroo
Mario Bros.
Maze Craze(2)
Miniature Golf(GP)
Missile Command
Mouse Trap
Pac-Man
Pitfall
Q*Bert
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
River Raid
Shark Attack
Slot Machine(GP)
Space Invaders(GP)
Stampede
Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Street Racer(GP)
Super Breakout
Swordquest: Earthworld
Swordquest: Fireworld(2)
Video Checkers(GP)
Video Chess(GP)
Video Olympics(GP)
Video Pinball(GP)
Word Zapper

On 5/25/2019 at 2:40 PM, StaceyPowers said:

@The Blackangel Interesting topic. I'm not sure that there are any games I can't empathetically wrap my mind around, but there are plenty that just don't appeal to me personally. Like I understand why Tetris is appealing to many people, but it just doesn't hold my attention. Puzzle games in general fall into this category, with a few exceptions. 

Tetris is legendary, don't ask me why but it is the only puzzle game that I still will play. Something about fitting shapes together is addictive...🤣 Every other puzzle game annoys the hell out of me though. Then there is card games, I periodically watched the original Yu-Gi-Oh series and it was entertaining but I'm not that interested in card games at all.

16 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Tetris is legendary, don't ask me why but it is the only puzzle game that I still will play. Something about fitting shapes together is addictive...🤣 Every other puzzle game annoys the hell out of me though. Then there is card games, I periodically watched the original Yu-Gi-Oh series and it was entertaining but I'm not that interested in card games at all.

True, I have never gotten into card games either now you mention it. I tend to forget that they even exist.

7 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

True, I have never gotten into card games either now you mention it. I tend to forget that they even exist.

Card games bore me to death - even as a mini-game in other games, I always tended to avoid card games like the plague. In FF8, I was so pissed just having to play through the tutorial of the card mini-game.

Triple Triad was always easier than Go Fish to me. The only time I had a problem with it was if I was dumb enough to attempt the Queen Of Cards side quest. I don’t even consider that anymore. As for IRL card games I used to play MTG a ton. I was pretty damn good too, but that was during 8th edition.

@killamch89 @The Blackangel I remember being interested in Magic: The Gathering as a kid, but never got into it because 1-I recall my mother thinking it was evil, and 2-well, it meant buying a lot of cards. 

In terms of video game card games, somehow they never seem to hold my attention. Though I do admit to playing way too much poker in RDR. But that's a different sort of card game.

1 hour ago, StaceyPowers said:

@killamch89 @The Blackangel I remember being interested in Magic: The Gathering as a kid, but never got into it because 1-I recall my mother thinking it was evil, and 2-well, it meant buying a lot of cards. 

In terms of video game card games, somehow they never seem to hold my attention. Though I do admit to playing way too much poker in RDR. But that's a different sort of card game.

Regular card games like Poker are understandable but I'm talking monster card games mainly - even the Pokemon card game turned me off as a kid.