Register Now
StaceyPowers

Video games that were banned in your house when you were a kid

Were there any video games that were forbidden to you by your parents when you were a child? My parents were actually pretty liberal about video games; it was everything else that they censored. There was some complaining about “violent video games” by my mother, but she never did anything to stop them.

22 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

Anything they determined was annoying in any way. Be it graphics, sound, story, or even cover art. Which encompassed a hell of a lot.

I'm not sure why games were let off the hook in my house, but probably because my mother didn't really "get" technology stuff, and my dad didn't care. They had a similar attitude to what you describe though when it came to movies and TV shows. Oh, and music.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:12 PM, kingpotato said:

My parents never restricted any type of game or any specific game in the house, they didnt mind or cared that much , the only problem was always how much time I was allowed to play.

That was my household as well and thank the heavens for that.

We tended to play games recommended for our age for the most part so I didn't have to deal with that worry directly.

There was a time where Anime was sweeping Mexico and rumours about being it and other cartoons being satanic shook up many homes. However I did have fear of losing my games back in the Nintendo 64 days. One day coming from school I found my anime stuff gone, including some Dragon Ball Z and Ranma 1/2 posters I really cherished. Since my mother threw everything by proxy, with pokemon being one of the targetted franchises as satanic in a time where the Internet wasn't as widespread so people believed the most outlandish claims like Pikachu meaning 1000 times better than God (when it is more play on the onomatopoeia of the noise of the thunder (Pika) and the squeal of a mouse (chu). I thought because of it My Smash brothers would be in danger and if that was the game by proxy any character including Link, so I was terrified for a while she'd get rid of my Zelda games. It never came to the case and once I explained to her whatever little I know on how a lot of the claims were all made up, she really didn't mind me watching anime or playing games and she even saw the appeal of the cartoon. 

4 hours ago, Kaynil said:

There was a time where Anime was sweeping Mexico and rumours about being it and other cartoons being satanic shook up many homes.

Wow, I had no idea that happened. I went through a similar thing with D&D and other RPGs being considered "satanic," so I can relate. But adorable Pikachu, being thought of as some sort of demonic evil? That's so wrong 😞

My folks weren’t keen on Mortal Kombat growing up due to its violent fatalities. Looking back, it’s pretty understandable. But I still played it on Gameboy thanks to it not having any blood/gore.

Edited by DylanC

14 hours ago, Kaynil said:

We tended to play games recommended for our age for the most part so I didn't have to deal with that worry directly.

There was a time where Anime was sweeping Mexico and rumours about being it and other cartoons being satanic shook up many homes. However I did have fear of losing my games back in the Nintendo 64 days. One day coming from school I found my anime stuff gone, including some Dragon Ball Z and Ranma 1/2 posters I really cherished. Since my mother threw everything by proxy, with pokemon being one of the targetted franchises as satanic in a time where the Internet wasn't as widespread so people believed the most outlandish claims like Pikachu meaning 1000 times better than God (when it is more play on the onomatopoeia of the noise of the thunder (Pika) and the squeal of a mouse (chu). I thought because of it My Smash brothers would be in danger and if that was the game by proxy any character including Link, so I was terrified for a while she'd get rid of my Zelda games. It never came to the case and once I explained to her whatever little I know on how a lot of the claims were all made up, she really didn't mind me watching anime or playing games and she even saw the appeal of the cartoon. 

Zelda being thought of as Satanic? *scratches head* Pokemon? Dragonball? I'm not really sure what is so satanic about any of those series. Dragonball had a few odd moments but nothing too crazy. If it was something like Mortal Kombat with those outrageous finishing moves and all the blood and gore (I love MK but it was pretty violent and dark), I could understand their perspective a bit more.